Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

Our Special Month:

September 2 - rkwilliams1013*

September 3 - Freshstart2010

September 7 - danide, Nani4five, sannersplace72*

September 8 - NYsLegend78*

September 9 - Butterfly2010

September 10 - jlr58, MrsFitand42

September 13 - lillyegg

September 14 - KAS1971, TheMaxwellFamily*

September 16 - sunny-day

September 17 - Stateofzen*, hserrra*

September 22 - ebonykisses

September 28 - Zippy74

September 30 - sourmissg

*newest additions

Edited by Banded-Sept-2010

I started this Journey with my Orientation Meeting on April 8th, and now I am approved, scheduled for September 17th at 5:45 am, and I am currently completing all of my pre-op testing. Today, actually, I had to do all the fun EKG, Upper GI, and Chest X-Rays, next week is the Pulminary Function Tests, and other respiratory test, then a "written consent" from my PCP, my 6hr Pre-Op Class on 9/2, then it's the liquid diet until 9/17!!! Couldn't be more excited, I have my husband, parents, and a few aunts (all who know) all supporting me, but it's really great to have people here, who are going through the same things, and experiencing relatively same ups, downs, and inbetweens, people to laugh, cry, conslut and comfort with, and other things that people in our immediate support groups may not understand unless they are/have gone through this. I am so excited to begin this new chapter in my life, and I am excited for everyone else who is taking on this challange of becoming healthy, happy people! I can't wait share in the delights of surgery with you all, to mumble and groan about the liquid diet, the pain after the surgery, and then the feeling of taking hold of our futures! Yay!

Just got my surgery date september 2nd! I'm approved and on the books waiting to be banded!:thumbup:

I started this Journey with my Orientation Meeting on April 8th, and now I am approved, scheduled for September 17th at 5:45 am, and I am currently completing all of my pre-op testing. Today, actually, I had to do all the fun EKG, Upper GI, and Chest X-Rays, next week is the Pulminary Function Tests, and other respiratory test, then a "written consent" from my PCP, my 6hr Pre-Op Class on 9/2, then it's the liquid diet until 9/17!!! Couldn't be more excited, I have my husband, parents, and a few aunts (all who know) all supporting me, but it's really great to have people here, who are going through the same things, and experiencing relatively same ups, downs, and inbetweens, people to laugh, cry, conslut and comfort with, and other things that people in our immediate support groups may not understand unless they are/have gone through this. I am so excited to begin this new chapter in my life, and I am excited for everyone else who is taking on this challange of becoming healthy, happy people! I can't wait share in the delights of surgery with you all, to mumble and groan about the liquid diet, the pain after the surgery, and then the feeling of taking hold of our futures! Yay!

Welcome hserra and look forward to you sharing your journey with us.

Just got my surgery date september 2nd! I'm approved and on the books waiting to be banded!:thumbup:

Congratulations on getting your date.

It must be such a relief to have a date to count down to.

I feel I am in limbo because my dr is dragging his feet on getting my file to the scheduler. It's been 9 days since I was approved and nothing yet. I started bothering them on a daily basis Tuesday, hopefully will hear something by the weekend.

Anyway, congratulations to both of you for getting your dates.

hserra, Congratulations on your date and your approval

Hi Gale,

Have you heard anything yet?

Cathy

First- WELCOME newbies! I love our September Bandsters group!

Next- Congratulations to all those with new surgery dates and approvals.

My insurance is still pending but the office told me that my insurance usually takes 5 weeks to approve. I hope it goes through so I don't have to pay the $16,000... uhh.

And Finally, about the seminar... Well lets see.

They told us about the pre-diet again, at least 7 days before- to shrink the liver as well as to lose a few pounds to jump start the process. Shower prior to surgery, have absolutely nothing to eat or drink after midnight before surgery. Absolutely no jewlery, body peircings or contacts to be worn. Bring a list of 1-medications/dose/time of day taken and how often 2-allegies to foods, medications, materials (latex, bandaids) 3-last minute questions about the surgery to ask the nurse/doc/anesthi. Things to bring (over night bag, photo ID, insurance card).

We were told about pre-op- the anesthesiologist, nurse and surgeon will talk to us again before going into the OR, vital signs checked, medication distributed to prepare for surgery, prevent blood clots, as well as IV to prevent dehydration. Then they told us about actual OR and surgery, you won't remember anything due to the anesthesia obviously, how you will be woken up, how you will feel afterwards. It will be very very cold in the OR to prevent bacteria growth so we get warmed blankets to keep our body temp regulated. Medication will be given post op for pain as well as to prevent nausea. Vitals are taken again post-op We can only have ice chips after the surgery. We will be given breathing exercises to do right after recovery room (coughing, deep breathing), walking will begin right after getting out of recovery; to prevent blood clots, pnemonia and to move gas. . Then they spoke about expectations of staying over night at the hosptial (my surgeon pretty much requires over night stay-very rare for someone to go home the same day). the next morning x-ray in am-video esophagram will be done while drinking that nasty dye stuff to ensure that you can swollow completely. When ready for discharge, someone has to drive you home.

Then they spoke about expectations post-op- diet 1st day is clear liquids- 2 weeks is full liquids (like pre-op but for 2 weeks) then 2 weeks is soft/mushy foods then the 5th week after, is solid food. (this is the recommendation of my doc/nutritionist- others may be different). Healing time varies for everyone but after 1 week we should be back to normal. Some shoulder pain will occur due to gas/radiant pain. Stitches- don't rub or get too soapy- just let soapy Water run over while showering. Recommendation to use liquid extra strength tylenol for pain but Rx will be given for narcotics for pain but would rather people not use that if possible.

There was soo much information, hopefully this gives you some idea. :thumbup: Again, each surgeon and staff team are different, so things might vary a little.

OOOHH and today I bought everything I need for the pre-op diet, which I will start next week (i will do 2 weeks pre-op diet rather then just 1)!

Im soooooo excited, I couldn't sleep much last night thinking about it! (yeah I still have 3 weeks- im not till Sept 7). :)

Hi, I also was given a surgery date before submitting for insurance approval. I have a surgery date of 9/7/10 at this point. I had to do the 6 months of nutrition visits prior to insurance review.

First- WELCOME newbies! I love our September Bandsters group!

Next- Congratulations to all those with new surgery dates and approvals.

My insurance is still pending but the office told me that my insurance usually takes 5 weeks to approve. I hope it goes through so I don't have to pay the $16,000... uhh.

And Finally, about the seminar... Well lets see.

They told us about the pre-diet again, at least 7 days before- to shrink the liver as well as to lose a few pounds to jump start the process. Shower prior to surgery, have absolutely nothing to eat or drink after midnight before surgery. Absolutely no jewlery, body peircings or contacts to be worn. Bring a list of 1-medications/dose/time of day taken and how often 2-allegies to foods, medications, materials (latex, bandaids) 3-last minute questions about the surgery to ask the nurse/doc/anesthi. Things to bring (over night bag, photo ID, insurance card).

We were told about pre-op- the anesthesiologist, nurse and surgeon will talk to us again before going into the OR, vital signs checked, medication distributed to prepare for surgery, prevent blood clots, as well as IV to prevent dehydration. Then they told us about actual OR and surgery, you won't remember anything due to the anesthesia obviously, how you will be woken up, how you will feel afterwards. It will be very very cold in the OR to prevent bacteria growth so we get warmed blankets to keep our body temp regulated. Medication will be given post op for pain as well as to prevent nausea. Vitals are taken again post-op We can only have ice chips after the surgery. We will be given breathing exercises to do right after recovery room (coughing, deep breathing), walking will begin right after getting out of recovery; to prevent blood clots, pnemonia and to move gas. . Then they spoke about expectations of staying over night at the hosptial (my surgeon pretty much requires over night stay-very rare for someone to go home the same day). the next morning x-ray in am-video esophagram will be done while drinking that nasty dye stuff to ensure that you can swollow completely. When ready for discharge, someone has to drive you home.

Then they spoke about expectations post-op- diet 1st day is clear liquids- 2 weeks is full liquids (like pre-op but for 2 weeks) then 2 weeks is soft/mushy foods then the 5th week after, is solid food. (this is the recommendation of my doc/nutritionist- others may be different). Healing time varies for everyone but after 1 week we should be back to normal. Some shoulder pain will occur due to gas/radiant pain. Stitches- don't rub or get too soapy- just let soapy Water run over while showering. Recommendation to use liquid extra strength tylenol for pain but Rx will be given for narcotics for pain but would rather people not use that if possible.

There was soo much information, hopefully this gives you some idea. :thumbup: Again, each surgeon and staff team are different, so things might vary a little.

OOOHH and today I bought everything I need for the pre-op diet, which I will start next week (i will do 2 weeks pre-op diet rather then just 1)!

Im soooooo excited, I couldn't sleep much last night thinking about it! (yeah I still have 3 weeks- im not till Sept 7). :)

Great info about your meeting and what the next few weeks will be all about; it was wonderful to obtain this info again since my information session has been a while back. You refrehed my memory and gave a super clear picture... Keep us posted! I am just 2 days "behind" you; we have to do an Atkins like diet 2 weeks prior ( I already started "some")... and many patients can go home the same day, but many similarities. Again, thanks for sharing!

Hey Cathy and all-

I too want to track my measurements. Haven't done it yet- I admit I'm a little scared, lol :) Don't know if want to see all those numbers! But I have to face up, that's what this is all about.

I just found out yesterday that I should hear from my insurance by tomorrow and then I can get scheduled!! :thumbup::w00t: I thought I'd be looking at late September at the soonest, but now I think I can do early September! I work at a university so there's no way I can do august :) since that's when all the students come back in :thumbup:. I wonder which of you I'll share a date with??

Thanks for reading and being in this group!!

Sarah

Hey Cathy and all-

I too want to track my measurements. Haven't done it yet- I admit I'm a little scared, lol :thumbup: Don't know if want to see all those numbers! But I have to face up, that's what this is all about.

I feel the same way! I don't even own a scale for that exact reason! However, the fact that we've made the decision to be banded means we've already won half the battle when it comes to facing the humiliation of stepping on the scale-so commend yourself for that! We're all here for the same reason!

hserra, we're date buddies!

I don't do my pre-op stuff until two days before my surgery, so I'm glad to hear all of the info from yours danide! I know it will be a little different, based on my surgeon, but its been so long since I did my workshop (in September of last year, I think), that I honestly don't remember a single specific thing. I know we go back over it during my pre-op day, so I'm trying not to be anxious.

My doc doesn't have a pre-op diet, but I'm doing Atkins myself for the next month. Started 3 days ago and had my "beast" day on day 2 where no matter how much approved food I ate, I felt ravenous (you should have seen the size of the steak I had for dinner). Luckily that has passed and I may be in crave-free zone- whee :thumbup:

Anyone else looking at their exercise plan right now? I have to admit, I don't exercise at all but I want to get something started before my surgery so that the seeds of a plan are in place. I'm looking at starting with an exercise bike until I build up some stamina.

I feel the same way! I don't even own a scale for that exact reason! However, the fact that we've made the decision to be banded means we've already won half the battle when it comes to facing the humiliation of stepping on the scale-so commend yourself for that! We're all here for the same reason!

You got it, rk! Couldn't agree more :) It's tough but we're all in it to win it. My kids told me (I don't know where they got this- internet somewhere I guess) that the journey to Castle Sexy-Abs is heavily guarded, and that to get there you must swim through a piranha infested moat for years, during which time the piranhas nibble your fat away :) lol. Personally, I can live without sexy abs, that's not necessarily my goal, but I'd love to have them if possible! :thumbup: Castle Sexy-Abs here we come!

Sarah, I love your kids already! Now when I'm out in 95 degree georgia heat trying to exercise I will remember the castle-sexy abs!

Its funny because now that I actually have a surgery date I feel like I'm nesting-I went to target today and stocked up on Liquid Tylenol, Gas-X, all kinds of stuff! I even bought a super comfy outfit to wear home from the hospital- Like I'm preparing to give birth to a Lap Band! :)

I also scheduled my pre-op today one week prior to surgery August 25th and am self starting my pre-op diet on Monday. Three more weeks!

Hello!

I'm happy to officially join this group!

I finally got both my insurance approval and my date. I will be banded on September 3.

RK, we're one day apart - with the same surgeon! We'll be in the same preop class on the 25th. I live down in Carrollton so it's a trek up and back but it's worth it.

Here's to all of us who are making new starts in September!

gracerev