Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your replies. Was thinking about ringing doc today but might leave it a few days as its seems I'm not the only one having the problem. Will let you know how it goes.

Is anyone else hungry? I sat in the cafe yesterday while kids were at the beach and the smell of bacon was driving me insane. I am now wondering if I have done the right thing. It really is torture. :biggrin:

Tomorrow is my surgery date too. I've been on Protein Shakes for two weeks and have lost 22 pounds. I know most of it is Water, but it feels good to be down a few pounds. I'm a little nervous, but mostly hungry...nothing but Clear Liquids today and nothing tomorrow. I'm scheduled for 1:00 pm. I told my surgeon I was a little concerned about nausea following the anesthesia and he prescribed 1 pill to take 2 hours before with a SIP of water. He said it has prevented nausea for most of his patients. The pill was $69.00 ($45 co-pay) but it will be worth it if it prevents nausea. If it works for me, I'll post the name of it. Good luck to all of you!

QUESTION ABOUT WHAT TO WEAR AFTER SURGERY. PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS!

We're winding down to the last of the month and those of us that are just barely September banders are days away.

I had a bump in the road when my PCP didn't clear me for surgery due to an abnormal EKG, but after seeing the cardiologist last week, they've cleared me after all. YAY!!!

ONE QUESTION: What do I take to the hospital to wear? Like a lot of others, I'm sure, I'm too big to be covered by the hospital gowns so I need to take something from home.

Will pj pants with a waist band be uncomfortable or irritating to any of the incision spots? Should I wear a sundress or something that would just hang but then anytime anyone wants to look at incisions they'll have to go up from below?

Anything else specific I need to take with me to the hospital (I'll have an overnight stay) that isn't the obvious?

Thanks for your help! I'll be joining you banded folks on the other side in just a few days! Can't wait!

Debbie

ok i'm at the airport, here i go, tomorrow's my day, i feel scared and nervous.

We are all thinking good thoughts for you. It will be ok, and can't wait to hear how it goes.

We're winding down to the last of the month and those of us that are just barely September banders are days away.

I had a bump in the road when my PCP didn't clear me for surgery due to an abnormal EKG, but after seeing the cardiologist last week, they've cleared me after all. YAY!!!

ONE QUESTION: What do I take to the hospital to wear? Like a lot of others, I'm sure, I'm too big to be covered by the hospital gowns so I need to take something from home.

Will pj pants with a waist band be uncomfortable or irritating to any of the incision spots? Should I wear a sundress or something that would just hang but then anytime anyone wants to look at incisions they'll have to go up from below?

Anything else specific I need to take with me to the hospital (I'll have an overnight stay) that isn't the obvious?

Thanks for your help! I'll be joining you banded folks on the other side in just a few days! Can't wait!

Debbie

Congrats you are on your way!

I didn't think they had a gown big enough for me, but they did. Also I was given fuzzy slipper socks, but you might want to bring slippers for when you need to get up and walk the halls to dissipate the gas. Some folks don't have to stay overnight, some of us did. It all depends on how fast you recover. I was given a plastic bag of toothpaste and brush, and Shampoo, but I never felt good enough to use them. It might be irritating to have a waistband unless it's really loose. If you have already had your pre op- you could call the hospital with your questions. I also had forgotten to put some folks phone numbers in my cell phone- so I could call them. You might want to do that. I had to find someone to give me a ride home, since I stayed two nights instead of one.

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your replies. Was thinking about ringing doc today but might leave it a few days as its seems I'm not the only one having the problem. Will let you know how it goes.

Is anyone else hungry? I sat in the cafe yesterday while kids were at the beach and the smell of bacon was driving me insane. I am now wondering if I have done the right thing. It really is torture. :biggrin:

Yea I have had several times where I was so hungry I got light headed. I woke up at 0430 starving, and ate some yogurt. Just a bit ago I had lentil Soup, as I was really hungry. I was told to have regular meals and planned Snacks, so far though, I have just been eating when hungry. Not sure if your hunger was real or "head hunger". But bacon always smells awesome. What did you do to combat it? I try to wait 30 mins and if I still feel hungry then it must be the real thing.

Debbie

If it is a hospital that regularly does WLS, I bet their gowns are big enough. Mine was huge! Still, I took it off and traded for clothes I brought with me-- some yoga pants and a t-shirt that I could wear without a bra (i.e. black). My incisions were all well above my pants line so no discomfort there, but I did definitely say no to any bras. I also wore my crocs for walking around after the surgery. I didn't stay overnight, so that's all I brought, but if you are going to, bring a small bag of toiletries.

Tomorrow is my big day!!!! :crying: Wish me luck guys!!! And you know what... I'm not nervous anymore!!! I'll update you all tomorrow after surgery... :biggrin:

Yay! Maria!! We will be wishing you the best!!

Wanna.b More than likely they will have a gown that is big enough if they perform bariatric surgery - the one they gave me was H U G E.. if you find that they have given you one that is too small or tight across the shoulders -ask them to find you a Mens.. they usually allow for more room. I dont know if everyone is the same on this - but none of my incisions are below the waist.. I have one that would fall right below the bra line - smack dab in the middle of my breasts... and the other 4 are somewhat in a line across, maybe 3 inches under that?? Bringing your own slippers is a great suggestion - just make certain they have "grips" on the bottom to prevent a slip or fall - no telling how you may react to the medication.. also it might be a good idea to ask the nurse to walk with you. Pack something that you can get away with being braless - aka something dark, and basically something comfy... take advantage of your time at the hospital to sleep, sleep, sleep.. but certainly motivate yourself to move around to prevent blood clots and help get rid of all the gas...

David Good luck tomorrow... I hope you pull through nausea-free!! I had a patch they placed behind my ear, and some sort of liquid they ran through my IV to help combat nausea. Couldnt begin to tell you what it was exactly -but it must have been effective.. We look forward to updates!

Okay guys, so I am now on Day 4 Post-Op... and I STILL have this issue with no matter what I eat/drink it all seems to pool in the back of my throat and seems "frothy" I am taking the smallest of sips of apple juice, and its right there - the protien shakes? ? I basically choke on them. Tonight I have had the WORST hiccups in my life, and I plan on going back to work tomorrow... I must have lost my mind!

It will be interesting since I have been wallowing around in my old maternity clothes this weekend, and to actually put on some jeans should be fun.

But in all seriousness... anyone else have the "frothy" feeling in the back of the throat with each sip? or elephant on the chest syndrome?? Any suggestions/ideas??

I am seeing the doc on the 28th.. It would typically be later - but he is going on vacation... I am curious to see what his scale has to say...

Thanks for your input on what to wear. I am kind of surprised to hear the incisions are higher than the waistband but several of you have said that, so I guess I had the wrong idea. Oh, boy -- me without a bra in the hallway -- i guess i'll take a jacket, as well. And, yay for crocs -- I'll take them for sure! Okay, if anyone else has other ideas, I'm glad to hear them. I am SOO excited! (and thinking about my good friend food that I'm breaking up with on Wed. :-)

Hi Everyone!!! Had my surgery yesterday and it went perfectly!! I was sore as expected the gas-x strips work wonders and i found liquid adult tylenol at Walgreens and i am able to manage the pain with that. My biggest challenge so far is taking my pills(Rx) i have crushed them in water....YUCK!!!!!:smile: and tonight I tried to crush them in sugar free jello....double YUCK!!!!!!:yesnod::thumbdown: any suggestions on how to crush the Rx and not have to taste the bitterness of it? Hope everyone else is doing well too....:sneaky:

Hi Cicigirl !

I was told to put crushed pills into Apple Sauce by my Doctor. I didn't need to... I am actually able to swallow all my current meds ok. But try apple sauce & buy a pill crusher.

-Brian :blink:

I just wanted to stop by and say congratulations to all of my fellow September Bandsters! How are those of you doing that have already had it done? I am having my surgery tomorrow! I am so excited and nervous!!!! :smile:

ok i'm at the airport, here i go, tomorrow's my day, i feel scared and nervous.

Good Luck and Godspeed Lisa !

Don't worry soon you will be one of us ! I hope all is well and see / read you soon. :smile:

-Brian :yesnod: