Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok gotta start my Pre-op Next Week!!! I have to follow a low carb/high Protein diet for 2-3 weeks prior to surgery which will be on Aug 26th, has anyone done a low carb/high protein diet? is it easy, expensive hard to follow??? i really wanna do this right since i am self pay i dont wanna waste my precious $$$ :ohmy: i have purchased Protein Drinks low carb bread for sandwiches what else should i make any and all comments greatly appreciated :)

Hello, I have started my ALL liquid diet today! My surgery is on Aug 11th. So far so good! I stocked up my office and my kitchen ready to go!!!:scared2: When i went to buy my Protein supplements i will say that it did get a little bit expensive. I got Pure Protein, slim fast, and ensure. I also picked up popsicles, Jello, Water, crystal light, sobe 0, and broth.

Good Luck !!!!

Edited by shadena30
added more

I started yesterday. So I think I've wasted $50 on Un Jury protein:( I ordered a sampler of Syntrax nectar packets and it actually tastes good. That Un Jury tasted off/funny.

I have 3 shakes a day, sugar free Jello and some sodium free chicken broth. I've had lots of Water.

I can have 3 servings of skim milk, plain yogurt or cottage cheese a day. I don't like yogurt or cottage cheese though and my surgeon wants me down 15 pounds in the next 10 days so I'm thinking I'd better stay away from the milk because the carbs would add up.

Did your doctor give you an actual plan? The closest I've ever heard to having sandwiches on a preop is 2 Protein drinks and one sensible high Protein meal. Personally I would not plan on sandwiches being part of my preop. My surgery had to be postponed (due to treating a bloodclot) so my journey has been longer than most. Since I have been losing having 2 shakes and a small meal the doctor just told me to continue.

In regards to protein find good quality protein with more grams for fewer calories. whey Isolates are what my Nut. recommended. You can buy it online or at Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, and even Walmart. I really like Gold Standard 100% whey (Isolates is the first ingrediant Cal 120, Fat 1g, Carb 3, Protein 24). Personally I've found Vitamin Shoppe to have much better pricing than GNC. And I did'nt enjoy GNC's whey isolate 28G. I do make my shakes with fat free milk (yes adds 90 calories and carbs). I also freeze non calorie fruit flavored Water into ice cubes and blend it it to make more of a "frappe" like texture. I also add splendra.

If you have not started yet than I recommend begining an exercise routine. Swimming is I think the best exercise for an overweight person. You move at your own speed and we float really well:thumbup:. Since 10/08 I have lost 84 pounds from diet and swimming. I try to burn off all the calories I eat during the day by swimming so that my body is forces to fuel the "lights" per say using fat.

Did your doctor give you an actual plan? The closest I've ever heard to having sandwiches on a preop is 2 Protein drinks and one sensible high Protein meal. Personally I would not plan on sandwiches being part of my preop. My surgery had to be postponed (due to treating a bloodclot) so my journey has been longer than most. Since I have been losing having 2 shakes and a small meal the doctor just told me to continue.

In regards to protein find good quality protein with more grams for fewer calories. Whey Isolates are what my Nut. recommended. You can buy it online or at Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, and even Walmart. I really like Gold Standard 100% Whey (Isolates is the first ingrediant Cal 120, Fat 1g, Carb 3, Protein 24). Personally I've found Vitamin Shoppe to have much better pricing than GNC. And I did'nt enjoy GNC's whey isolate 28G. I do make my shakes with fat free milk (yes adds 90 calories and carbs). I also freeze non calorie fruit flavored Water into ice cubes and blend it it to make more of a "frappe" like texture. I also add splendra.

If you have not started yet than I recommend begining an exercise routine. Swimming is I think the best exercise for an overweight person. You move at your own speed and we float really well:thumbup:. Since 10/08 I have lost 84 pounds from diet and swimming. I try to burn off all the calories I eat during the day by swimming so that my body is forces to fuel the "lights" per say using fat.

Thanks for the ideas! I have the GNC Whey protein also. Yes my dr, did give my a diet plan to follow! I got pretty much everything on the list (within reason) tha i knew i would like to eat during my two weeks. Also becaue i was able to loss some weight my Dr. said that if i wanted too i only had to do the diet for 1 week. But i want to do the entire 2 weeks. along with my workouts! i feel i will be even more successful if i stick to the entire 2 week diet.

Ok gotta start my Pre-op Next Week!!! I have to follow a low carb/high Protein diet for 2-3 weeks prior to surgery which will be on Aug 26th, has anyone done a low carb/high Protein diet? is it easy, expensive hard to follow??? i really wanna do this right since i am self pay i dont wanna waste my precious $$$ :lol2: i have purchased protein drinks low carb bread for sandwiches what else should i make any and all comments greatly appreciated :)

I've followed a low carb/high protein diet on my own (one of the many times I lost a bunch of weight and then gained it back!) :o It was easy for me at first. You can try things like canned tuna with a little light mayo (I love tuna sandwiches, but I had it without the bread) and salad for lunch or dinner. I had lots of eggs for Breakfast and maybe a piece of bacon or ham. I also had a lot of grilled and baked chicken breast. It's very lean and I actually love grilled chicken. Sometimes I would make myself a burger w/out the bun and have a salad on the side. That was very yummy. sugar free Jello is a great snack and helped me when I wanted a sweet snack. I also drank a lot of Water and Crystal Light. I did it for a year and lost about 70 lbs, but then I couldn't take it and had to have some bread and Pasta. Then the weight came back like gangbusters!

It shouldn't be that hard for you to follow since they make a lot of low carb products now. I did this back in the day when no one was into low carb so the stores didn't have anything. I had to get creative.

I don't have my band, yet, but my surgeon requires a 2 week liquid diet. I'm not looking forward to that. I think a low carb/high protein diet would be much easier, but we have to follow the doctor's orders! :scared2:

Oh and I almost forgot! Make sure you get in your veggies! I know I got tired of so much meat, meat, meat all of the time. I liked steamed brocolli because that is so easy to make, or just a little side salad, or green Beans......

I hope I helped and didn't ramble too much!! :)

your all right no sandwiches were mentioned in the pre-op diet but i was told to follow a diet like Atkins or any other low carb diet plan since i found bread that is 1 net carb per serving i figured hey why not have a tuna or egg salad sandwiches...

your all right no sandwiches were mentioned in the pre-op diet but i was told to follow a diet like Atkins or any other low carb diet plan since i found bread that is 1 net carb per serving i figured hey why not have a tuna or egg salad sandwiches...

If your Dr. told you to follow a diet like Atkins and you found bread that is 1 net carb, go for it! Just make sure you are aware of how many things have carbs in them. Things you would never think of may have carbs in them and more than you might guess. Be sure to read the labels on EVERYTHING! The Atkins diet also has you watching your fruit intake because of the sugars in them. Remember that Atkins also has you eating a lot of sugar free and low sugar items so watch out for that. Be sure you keep track of the carbs in everything so you don't accidently go overboard. Be sure to get your Protein in with some chicken, tuna, eggs, etc. I was on Atkins for a year so let me know if you have any questions. It's been a while since I was on it, but maybe I can help. :wub:

Good luck! :cursing: