Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have surgery on Tuesday but am having doubts

I feel nervous about putting the lap band inside me. I sometimes feel as if I should try harder to loose weight and feel as if maybe I should not go forward with the procedure. Are these doubts normal? I feel scared about the affects of the band because I hear good and bad things. I am sooo confused!!:)

I understand what you are saying. I have researched it for over 3 years and my day is 7/27. Everyone asks if I am excited... weird question I think. I say, "not excited" but definatly ready. I know that I could lose some of the weight but was tired of trying so hard only to throw in the towel and be back to square one. Did you have a psych evaluation? Maybe you can talk thru it with the counselor and work thru your feelings. Good luck and we are all here for you!

Obviously whatever you decide is okay. But I look at your age, you are 28.... I am 38 and I get banded on Monday... and I WISH TO GOD that I had done it at 28 instead of trying and failing for 10 years to lose weight. I lost 10 years of my life that I could have been healthier and happier with myself. I think that the vast majority of people who get the lap band probably have that little voice in the back of their head that says QUITTER...but come on... we are not quitting - we are brave and willing to do what it takes to ensure our success.

My surgeon has a bunch of Q&As online and they are really good on this topic.... watch a couple!!

Q/A Dr. Fielding | NYULMC Weight Management Program | NYU Langone Medical Center | New York, New York 10016

Hello Lovely;

Sometimes men tend to be too much of the problem solvers, while women are better at "Understanding" things. That having been said, here is what I would do if I were you.

Take a piece of paper and make a list of all the things you are worried about. Try to be very specific. Don't say, "I am worried I might fail". - Too general. Also make another list of all the good that you want from the band. Now that you have a list of the things you are worried about, you can ask specific question of others who have gone before you, and ask them about their experiences regarding the things you were worried about.

I have been reading this forum every day since january. I have not read of anyone who wishes they did not have the band. Yes I have read of people who have had pain, getting stuck, have had friends and family criticize them for the "Easy way out" etc.

I was banded 7/1/10. My trip has been very easy. No pain, I am losing weight, I don't have hungar, and my blood sugar is much lower than before. Even now with only less than a month into the trip, I can notice that I can move better, I see in the mirror that my face shows some weight lose.

Naturally you are worried or concerned, it is only natural. I am sure you will be just fine. Maybe you should post a request for others who were worried or scared to tell you how they feel now that they have been banded. I have read of several who were really stressed, but now are so happy they went ahead.

I know this has rambeled a bit, but just think of the guys giving you a smile, and how you will look and feel in all your new clothes.

Regards

Hal

Hi Lovely...Im getting surgery on the 30th and even though I cant imagine canceling now I feel some of the sames things you are feeling. I actually just posted a "freak out"message because I ran into a girl that had the surgery 2 weeks ago and had a really bad experience..hearing about her experience scared me and made me question my decision..but for every bad experience I hear or read there are 5 more good experiences so Iv just decided I need to chill out and move forward. Gotta prepare myself mentally for the bad or the good....I just hope its the good:) we are having surgery around the same time if you want to talk Im on Facebook or email me!!

I had my surgery on the 21st, and the night before, i was having doubts about it, but once I got it done, I was really proud of myself for making it through the procedure. I think its normal to have doubts, especially when making such a huge decision. I was having doubts because I am going into my senior year of college and I have so many things that I want to do next year while im at school, that the though of something going wrong really bothered me, but I read a lot of stories on this website, and I decided that the benefits outweighed the risks, so I decided to go through it, and I am very happy i did.

Sorry if that didnt make sense, I just took some Percocet. lol

Hi LovelyLady,

I have to agree with MollyRN. I am 55 and have been overweight for 40+ of those years. I WISH there had been something like this for me at your age, I think it would have made a world of difference for me.

I am also scheduled for my surgery on Tuesday the 27th and although I am also a bit scared, I will be there and see you on the other side!

That said, you have to do what is right for you and if you aren't feeling it right now I'm sure you can push back your surgery date so you can think about it more. This is all up to you sweetie.

Tracy

I feel nervous about putting the LAP-BAND® inside me. I sometimes feel as if I should try harder to loose weight and feel as if maybe I should not go forward with the procedure. Are these doubts normal? I feel scared about the affects of the band because I hear good and bad things. I am sooo confused!!:thumbup:

I too got nervous about having this done. After talking with a few other folkes that truly gave me the insight I was better prepared to proceed with it. I had mine done March 9th just got my third fill Tuesday (07/20/10) and I have lost 61 pounds. I will take my band to heaven with me.:)

I also am having doubts, but I look at it this way, I have lost and gained weight by entire life, the Band will be a life long tool, that will remind me daily that I need to eat right and excercise. It will remind me NOT to slip back into bad habits that got me to the point on needing the band in the first place.

I think it is normal to have these feelings. I'm getting banded 8/3 and I'm 3 days into my pre-op diet I am having those feeling. I am pushing through one day at a time and I know when my day comes, I will be "ready". My son is 3 and I want nothing more than to spend every day with him and have a great life with my family.

My surgery is set for 8/6. I have had a few doubts but only a few. I know a lot of people who have had this done and they all tell me it was the best decision they've ever made. I see how much healthier they are and how much more energy they have and it really calms my fears.

I understand what you're all saying. Shame isn't the right word, but I do feel like it shouldn't have come to this. That I am capable of losing weight because I have in the past, and I always put it back on. Lack of self control. I just have to remind myself that the band isn't going to make me magically lose the weight, I have to do it. The band will just be there to remind me all the time. And I need that. I can't afford a personal chef or trainer to babysit me 24/7, but thanks to my 401k loan and insurance I can afford this band!

My boyfriend has been wonderfully supportive, mom and grandma too... my dad doesn't understand (he could eat a cow and gain nothing though- super high metabolism) but when I told him I had a surgery date he sighed and said "If this is what you're sure you need to help you then I'll be behind you 100%". That helped with any doubts I was having. Haven't told many other people because I don't want to hear ANYONE say I should just eat less and work out more (DUH). I think once I'm banded and there are visible results I will be more open.

So... not excited about having the surgery. Will be very glad once it's over and I'm on my way to a "new" life!

I know exactly what you are saying also lovelylady. I have all those emotions. But at 41, I am like MollyRN...I would give ANYTHING to have done this when I was your age. You are adding so many years of "quality" life onto your actual life, and you don't even know it yet. Trust us when us "older" banders say...be thankful you have the opportunity and the bravery to take control of your life now. You're gonna do great...as I hope we all are!!!

I'm being banded this Tuesday the 27th.

I'm nervous too, I second guess myself all the time.

But what the heck, I'm doing it!!

" AND THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT " chocolate anyone?

Edited by wanna.bslim

Good Luck to all of us getting banded on the 27th! (and everyone else too of course :smile2:) I just feel a bit of a kinship to those who will be going through this on the same day.

And remember, this is a TOOL, not a magic fix. Read everything you can and take note of the things the success stories tell vs the failures.

Also, did you know there is a whole WLS community on youtube.com? Just go there and do a search on "lap band" and there are lots of video logs. There are some negative ones, but the majority of the ones I looked at were pretty positive. I found a few that talk about weight regain and this really reinforced to me that I have to take charge and really work this to give myself lasting results.

Tracy