Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss with the lap band.

Hello, my name is Judymarie and I would like to know if any body out there can answer my question regarding Hair loss with the lap band? I have experience some shedding about 8 months after surgery and would like to know if any one has any helpful tips on how to stop the shedding?

Thanks ,:biggrin:

Hello, my name is Judymarie and I would like to know if any body out there can answer my question regarding hair loss with the LAP-BAND®? I have experience some shedding about 8 months after surgery and would like to know if any one has any helpful tips on how to stop the shedding?

Thanks ,:biggrin:

The truth is that, for the most part, your Hair loss has to do with malnutrition, so are you taking a multi-Vitamin and how many calories are you eating per day?

It's believed that the hair loss is related more to interruption in the growth cycle caused by the trauma of anesthesia and surgery than to malnutrition. Which means that it's time-limited---you'll lose hair for a while, then the cycle will reboot, and regrowth will occur.

You can try to minimize the loss by being sure that your nutritional status is as good as possible. In particular, they recommend that you get plenty of Protein, take a good bariatric Multivitamin, supplement with Biotin and zinc. You can also use a Hair loss shampoo/conditioner such as Nioxin.

But started with all of the above (except for the Nioxin; I held off on that until I started seeing loss) before surgery, and still had loss. It seems to have peaked already--so I'm hoping I've seen the end of the problem!

I had Hair loss for 5 months after surgery, I assume due to Anesthesia... Since then, I haven't had any problems, but I do eat 1200+ calories, exercise, and take a daily Vitamin.< /p>

Hair loss is a sign of Protein deficiency.

Protein Deficiency

A protein deficiency is a well-known cause of hair loss. Protein deficiency causes a reduction in the linear rate of growth in the hair and in the diameter of the hair shaft, which causes the hair to shed easily. Poor digestion and utilization of protein can cause hair loss even if one's protein intake is adequate.

http://www.arltma.com/HairLossDoc.htm

I know when I got banded and the weight came off, all of my pubic hair fell out. Here I am a well-endowed man swinging like a 8 year old boy - clean as a whistle.

Wife loved it, thought it was a turn on, which made her recipricate!!!! Brazilian waxed!

Since then we just keep that area shaved.

Hope all your weight loss goals come true!

I am noticing a startling loss of hair over these last two weeks. I can't believe how FAST it is falling out! I have probably lost around 35-40%!

I get 80+ grams of Protein a day, take all my Vitamins and supplements, and have never had any issue with Hair loss due to weight loss in the past. What the heck!

Will this stop before it all falls out?

I just purchased some Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner and will be giving them a try. Hopefully they will stop any further loss!

I am noticing a startling loss of hair over these last two weeks. I can't believe how FAST it is falling out! I have probably lost around 35-40%!

I get 80+ grams of Protein a day, take all my Vitamins and supplements, and have never had any issue with Hair loss due to weight loss in the past. What the heck!

Will this stop before it all falls out?

I just purchased some Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner and will be giving them a try. Hopefully they will stop any further loss!

Yes, you will be fine. Hairloss can be caused by lack of Protein but like others here have said it can also be caused by anesthesia. I had hairloss after Lap Band surgery. I have had two unrelated surgeries since and had hairloss for both. So I am convinced that for me, it is the anesthesia. Anesthesia is hard on the body and it causes your body to go into what is termed survival mode. You body shuts down non-essential processes and hair is non-essential for survival...

The hair growth/loss cycle is three months. So the hairloss would occur within three months after the surgery, it can last up to three months then you should see regrowth. So you will be back to normal within six months. Just be sure to eat right and take your supplements. A Biotin supplement certainly won't hurt (a hair, skin and nails formula with 3000mcg of biotin).

Edited by Jodi_620

Thanks for the tip on the Biotin. I will get some today and see if that helps a bit.

More than anything is is reassuring that to know that it won't all fall out. I am just amazed at how fast the change in my hair occurred. It seemed that most of the loss happened over just a 2 week period. I have noticed the loss is slowing down some. During those initial weeks I would run my hands through my wet hair and they would come out with 20-30 strands each time.....now I am down to about 5 strands. I am not sure if it is the Nioxin or if it is just slowing down on its own.

Thanks again for the info on the Biotin. I will try ANYTHING at this point to save my remaining locks!

I know when I got banded and the weight came off, all of my pubic hair fell out. Here I am a well-endowed man swinging like a 8 year old boy - clean as a whistle.

Wife loved it, thought it was a turn on, which made her recipricate!!!! Brazilian waxed!

Since then we just keep that area shaved.

Hope all your weight loss goals come true!

Bit of a fixation, there, eh, HH? :wub:

I think I agree with the anesthesia people. I wonder how many of us were malnourished before being banded? I wonder how many of us ate crappy junk food with no nutritional value, but didn't lose our hair?

My hair is falling out too, but I really haven't noticed any bald spots.