Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on saturday July 17. Its now thursday july 22, and ive already cheated. My gas pains and everything have kinda gone away.. super bad at first! Im so sick of drinking chicken broth and apple juice lol. So I woke up this morning and ate 1 egg with some cheese and onions. Not gonna lie I was a lil uncomfortable for like 10-15 min but no problem after that. I don't plan on cheating any more but its tempting when I really had no problem eating the food. Since im not filled wont all the food go straight through anyways? There is 2 stiches attaching my band to my stomach. I know those need to heal but im not sure im convinced that eating eggs early will affect it.

My original diet is-

1st wk: Clear liquids

2nd wk: liquids

3rd wk: mushies

4th wk: solids

Did anyone else cheat early? Did you have problems?

BANDED JULY 17 2010 in Mexico.

STARTING- 245lbs

I was banded on saturday July 17. Its now thursday july 22, and ive already cheated. My gas pains and everything have kinda gone away.. super bad at first! Im so sick of drinking chicken broth and apple juice lol. So I woke up this morning and ate 1 egg with some cheese and onions. Not gonna lie I was a lil uncomfortable for like 10-15 min but no problem after that. I don't plan on cheating any more but its tempting when I really had no problem eating the food. Since im not filled wont all the food go straight through anyways? There is 2 stiches attaching my band to my stomach. I know those need to heal but im not sure im convinced that eating eggs early will affect it.

My original diet is-

1st wk: Clear Liquids

2nd wk: Liquids

3rd wk: mushies

4th wk: solids

Did anyone else cheat early? Did you have problems?

BANDED JULY 17 2010 in Mexico.

STARTING- 245lbs

Even though your food goes down you really should follow the plan that your doctor gives to you. They make you go through stages for a reason. Mainly because of the swelling and to allow yourself time to heal. If you move ahead in the stages you take the chance of getting stuck, stretching your band, or having your band slip because your stitches are not healed yet. Yes the food goes through. Not as quickly as you think it does. But the heavier food on your pouch that has stitches, pulls down on it, and doesn't allow the pouch to heal. I know the liquid phase sucks big time. But, this is a lifestyle change. And in order for the band to work, you have to work too. So give yourself the time to heal. Things will get better for you. I promise.

Did you have any education classes prior to your surgery? You really need to follow your doctors orders if you want the band to help you. It sounds as if your mind is not ready for this lifestyle change. Only 5 days after surgery and your already cheating? For your health you should listen to your doctor.

Well, not to encourage going against your dr's orders...but, I too...stuck to the liquid diet for 5 days post op and was so light headed with my heart racing...I thought I would pass out. So, I ate some tuna and felt alot better. Then, I tried chicken breast in the food processor with a tsp mayo and relish to make a salad of it and also did fine. Now, I can eat just about anything so far..but, I have not tried regular bread. I am only able to eat a few bites and I feel full. I drink Water only or with crystal light packets. I was banded July 8, 2010 and have lost 20 lbs thus far. I do exercise by walking daily. I go for my first follow up visit tomorrow and I do plan on telling my doctor that I have been eating. I will say this...if it weren't for the few bites I eat each day...I would not be able to have the strength to exercise. Of course, this is what has worked for me so far and each person is different. But, I just thought I would let you know my story because alot of people will crucify you if they think you are not following exact orders. I will let the scale be my judge though. Good luck in your journey! =)

Did you have any education classes prior to your surgery? You really need to follow your doctors orders if you want the band to help you. It sounds as if your mind is not ready for this lifestyle change. Only 5 days after surgery and your already cheating? For your health you should listen to your doctor.

Haha you are ridiculous.. am I not allowed to ask a question with out being lectured!! Chill out over there I explained that I had no problems with it. I received multiple private messages with people given their stories.. all of them said they were afraid to post the truth due to volchers like you. This is a up lifting group.. you should be ashamed.

You are healing, be careful. FYI when i have restriction eggs are one of the hardest things for me to eat. I won't lecture you for cheating but you did throw this out for the world to see. Some of us sugar coat it, some of us don't. Fattys final line "For your health you should listen to your doctor" is completely true. So, feel free to call me a vulcher or whatever you want. It's your band, it's your life, my only advice is be careful.

Not sure who the ridiculous one is here.

Lets imagine a scenario.

Someone has a life threatening heart condition.

In order to save their life they have surgery.

They decide after the surgery they they don't really like the surgeons instructions and realise that they know better than their qualified surgeon so they decide to do things their own way.

They can't see any bad effects to the way that they are doing things so they carry on doing things their way.

Further down the line they start having issues and blame the surgeon because he was obviously the one at fault.

They end up having to have more surgery.............

Who would you call ridiculous in this situation?

Why is it any different when it is WLS surgery?

Yes there are probably lots of people that have cheated but that doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do or that it won't cause problems further down the line.

If you are having major issues sticking to the diet then call your surgeon and see if he is happy for you to advance the diet. You just trusted him with your life so you should continue at this stage of the healing process to trust him (or her).

This stage of the diet is hard - we know as we have all been there, but it is only for a limited amount of time which makes it a lot easier.Imagine how great you will feel once this period is over and you managed to get through it.

Thank you Elcee, for explaining it as a different senario.

To Amanda- it was not a lecture just simply a question on whether you had any educational classes prior to surgery (I saw that you had the surgery in Mexico). I have been there with the clear liquid diet for two weeks (MY doctors orders) it wasn't easy, but I knew this surgery is a life changing decision, not a quick fix and I had to work hard at it in order for it to work for me. And I continue to work hard at it. I do have my days of cheating, but like now, I just had a fill today and soo badly want to eat, but my doctor says to be on liquids 2 days, mushie 2 days, and then normal food. He's the one with the PHD, not me. Perhaps you should be ashamed.

If you are having major issues sticking to the diet then call your surgeon and see if he is happy for you to advance the diet. You just trusted him with your life so you should continue at this stage of the healing process to trust him (or her).

I don't normally like to get in the middle of "drama", but this is so right. I never once cheated on my 2 week pre-op liquids (as miserable as it was) and I was given 1 week clear, 1 week full liquids, 1 week mushies, 1 week soft, then normal food after 1 month. I was, like you seem to be, a quick healer. At my post-op check-up which was 1 1/2 weeks after my surgery I explained to them just how hungry I was and was given the go ahead to skip the last few days of the full liquids and move to mushies/purees. I personally would not have moved along in the diets if I was not given the green light by my surgeon. If I were an assuming person, I would also think that you went to Mexico because you are a self-pay and why would you want to spend all that money and then possibly do yourself some harm. If you are going to "cheat" (which before I get jumped on I definitly do not condone), try doing purees instead of eggs and onions. If you do have access to your surgeon, call them and explain to them what is going on and you could possibly even have their blessing.

That and I really think you took this the wrong way. All it was was a question asked not knowing your situation totally. Some people are not given any education prior to surgery. I personally did not see this as a lecture, but a question...nothing more, and maybe you took it so badly because you are feeling guilt. Again...I avoid drama like the plague, but if you are putting out there for the world to see, you have got to be ready to expect all kinds of answers whether they are the ones you want to hear or not. We are not all VULTURES here and I have always found people to be supportive, but just like in life you are not always going to get the answers you are looking for and it's not anyones fault when you don't.

So....I just need to put in my 2 cents here....SO WHAT she ate ONE freakin egg!!!! I am sure she probably did no damage to her band....I read a lot on this website, and it seems to me that everyone's rules are quite different. I remember reading about someone who ate a Protein bar a couple days after her surgery....and I was thinking....Oh my, how can she eat that?? But her surgeon ok'd it. But I kept my comments to myself....

The only question Amanda asked was, "Did anyone else cheat early? So to answer your question Amanda....No I did not, I was strictly on liquids for 10 days....I really wasn't feeling hungry during that time. For future, maybe you can try a Protein shake....those help fill me up! Good luck to you!!:biggrin:

Okay guys.. I appreciate all the responses. I would like to apologizes for calling "fatty no more" a vulture. I shouldn't have been so dramatic. But I would also like to note that my doctor in Mexico is available at all times and he was so awesome after my surgery. I had multiple counselors that went over the steps and phases of this new lifestyle before and after my surgery. And yes I did pay out of pocket and should be protecting this band more than anything!

All in all I cheated and I do feel horrible. I will be choosing healthier options like Protein shakes if im really having a hard time.

THANK YOU ALL

hey amanda. No i did not cheat on my two week liquid diet...and it was hard...and i was really mean :biggrin:...haha

but i just want to share with you what my doctor shared with me...and it scared me to the point of NOT wanting to cheat...

He said that during surger they stitch the stomach up over the band to help keep it in place for long term...but those stitches need about two weeks to really heal and for the stomach to be secured. He said that eating ANYTHING (even healthy foods) it causes your stomach to contract...the act of contracting can cause the stitches to come apart from the stomach...thus totally undoing everything that was done in surgery...and possibly lending a hand to a future slippage....:)

I just wanted to share that with you. It is hard...and some days you want to hate everyone...but the two weeks will pass and you will feel a lot better :thumbup: good luck and keep on truckin!!

WOW! She ate AN EGG, for christ sake people... it wasn't a loaf of bread! I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion but couldn't you have been just a little more encouraging rather than thrown such harsh criticism? She obviously felt bad and was concerned about her decision!

I highly doubt she paid all that money out of pocket to purposely sabotage her band.

BTW- I was given the go ahead to eat soft scrambled eggs (chewed to mush of course) on day 3... I do agree with the one reply to call your dr since you were obviously concerned and maybe you will find that you are able to progress in your food choices.

Hang in there girl, WE can do this!! Feel free to message me if you just need a sounding board, not a reprimand :biggrin: