Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on July 20th. My surgery took about an hour and went very well. I also had a hiatal hernia repair. Surgery was over before 10AM and I was taken to my room shortly before noon. I was up and walking before 1pm. Walking REALLY helps with all of the gas discomfort. My surgeon only put in 1cc of Fluid. I had a liquid lunch and liquid dinner on the day of surgery and tolerated that very well, so I was advanced to full liquid today when I was discharged. I had Cream of Wheat and some V8 fusion juice at lunch. My dietician told me that I can advance to mushy food by day 7, then slowly advance to the next level as tolerated. The only pain I really have is the largest incision site (my port is there). My abdominal muscles are very sore (like I overdid it on some ab exercises),but I'm getting around very well (again, moving helps to get rid of the gas the put in your belly). I actually felt hungry this evening and had some butternut squash Soup with some Protein Powder in it and some Crystal Light in Water (8 oz.) Anyhoo...I hope that by sharing my experience, it will help with any curious questions anyone may have. Good luck to all bandsters!:thumbup:

Congratulations on your banding!! Thank you for sharing your experience. I look forward to following your journey.

I was banded on July 20th. My surgery took about an hour and went very well. I also had a hiatal hernia repair. Surgery was over before 10AM and I was taken to my room shortly before noon. I was up and walking before 1pm. Walking REALLY helps with all of the gas discomfort. My surgeon only put in 1cc of Fluid. I had a liquid lunch and liquid dinner on the day of surgery and tolerated that very well, so I was advanced to full liquid today when I was discharged. I had Cream of Wheat and some V8 fusion juice at lunch. My dietician told me that I can advance to mushy food by day 7, then slowly advance to the next level as tolerated. The only pain I really have is the largest incision site (my port is there). My abdominal muscles are very sore (like I overdid it on some ab exercises),but I'm getting around very well (again, moving helps to get rid of the gas the put in your belly). I actually felt hungry this evening and had some butternut squash Soup with some Protein powder in it and some Crystal Light in Water (8 oz.) Anyhoo...I hope that by sharing my experience, it will help with any curious questions anyone may have. Good luck to all bandsters!:biggrin:

Oreo,

I was banded on the 19th! I think the worst thing is the upper gi gas & feeling like I got punched in the stomach (I can't take a deep breath). Ummm...I've advanced my diet a little bit more. I've eaten some seafood but nothing dense & definitely not a lot at all. Glad to see your date is essentially the same as mine. Nice to go through this with someone else.

My date was the 19th! Am doing well also :biggrin: My biggest complaint is that my shoulder pain was gone by day 2 and now is back as of yesterday. I am dressed and going to walk my street this morning, hoping that helps. I am off all pain meds and am on pureed foods as of 24 hours after the surgery. I am using Protein powder shakes and low carb slimfast to get most of my protein in, although I have experimented with some "real" food pureed concoctions! Most of them have tasted pretty good, although I really don't have an appetite to speak of. If I do feel a little hungry, a few sips of something is all I need. My back is also very sore. I think it's because of all the babying I am doing to my stomach right now! My incisions are starting to get a little itchy - a good sign that they are healing well. I only have steri-strips on which fall off on their own. Good luck to both of you - keep posting to this thread so we can keep track of each other!

Hi Ladies of the 20th:

I got my 2nd band on 7/20. I'm feeling pretty good other than swelly belly and my energy levels are way off.

Having been through this once already I can tell you that it is amazing how you'll feel a month from now.

So glad to have my belly cop back!

Sue

Good for you, SueMagoo! I think I remember you from other postings, too (I'm really not trying to rhyme everything!). What was your reason for needed another band? I would love it if you could post the reader's digest version again on this thread if you don't mind :biggrin: How are you feeling these days? Are you on clear/full liquids? I think it shows incredible commitment on your part to have this done 2x! How far into your journey were you when you found out you had to have it removed? We are about the same age (I'm 46). Looking forward to your reply :)

Hey! I was banded July 19th as well. Doing good, never had the gas pains but belly swollen. Looks like I swolled a grapefruit just on the right side. And Im totally black and blue on my entire right side Is anyone else? And I also have the itchies big time. All I have is the steri-strips. I have to be on full liquids until Aug 1st then I can move to pureed foods. So I eat alot of Soups, just strain out any chunks.

Good Luck To Everyone

Keep in touch!

Thanks for the post..I just posted a "freak out" message after hearding someone I knows horror story about their surgery so had me freaking out and scared I was going to have a bad experience but it seems like there are much more good stories than bad.

I too was banded on the 20th. I had a wonderful experience, I do have a little pain, but I am taking the pain meds they gave for that. I felt hungry today and enjoyed a cup of cream Soup and Water, and for a snack I had a yogurt. I am concerned about what to eat and when. I do have a plan from the doctor, just a little unsure of when I can progress to eggs, and then more soilds?? Anyone have any suggestions?

I too was banded on the 20th. I had a wonderful experience, I do have a little pain, but I am taking the pain meds they gave for that. I felt hungry today and enjoyed a cup of cream Soup and Water, and for a snack I had a yogurt. I am concerned about what to eat and when. I do have a plan from the doctor, just a little unsure of when I can progress to eggs, and then more soilds?? Anyone have any suggestions?

I was also banded on the 20th, and according to my doc's instructions I can have scrambled eggs and cottage cheese on week 2, and I can progress to light tuna and 2oz of very tender chicken on week 3, I can't wait, I'm getting tired of "watery" food.:)

Is anyone else experiencing painful (moderate) burps? I feel like burping should be good, but I get a bit of discomfort under my ribs each time. Kinda sucks, but certainly bearable. Also this stabbing shoulder pain that seems to keep coming out of nowhere is driving me crazy! On a high note, riding in the car does not hurt my belly anymore. My port site is the only thing that appears to be tender. I sneezed a couple of times today...OUCH! Can't wait to feel normal again - every day is closer, though! To answer another's question (sorry I didn't remember your screen name before I started typing my reply!) I don't not have any bruising. I think I am definitely swollen at the port site, though - seems to stick out more than the rest of my stomach. I went #2 yesterday - that was a relief and not painful at all. OK - TMI, but seems to be a shared concern post-surgery so I though I'd share :) I seem to be getting a little more interested in food. I pureed some Mexican leftovers that my family had for dinner (chicken, Beans, guac, sour cream) the first few bites were OK, then it just seemed to gross to eat. That has been my experience with everything I've tried to "make." I think I'm better off sticking with slimfast, Yogurt, pudding and cream soups! Tomorrow is my husband's b-day - we are going out to eat to one of my favorite restaurants. I am so excited to have some Lobster Bisque! I'm sure I could use the calories at this point...I'm not getting many in right now.

Happy Healing everyone:thumbup:

Hey! I was banded July 19th as well. Doing good, never had the gas pains but belly swollen. Looks like I swolled a grapefruit just on the right side. And Im totally black and blue on my entire right side Is anyone else? And I also have the itchies big time. All I have is the steri-strips. I have to be on full liquids until Aug 1st then I can move to pureed foods. So I eat alot of Soups, just strain out any chunks.

Good Luck To Everyone

Keep in touch!

Hey Lageil. Congrats! Glad you don't have gas pains. I've got bad gas pains, swelly belly, & the grapefruit (ha! that's funny)! All my stuff is on my left side though. I guess the gas will go away when my body finishes absorbing all the carbon dioxide gas they blow us up with during surgery. But, the swollen belly & grapefruit - I don't know. When does that go away? I've kind of advanced my own diet. I drink a ton of Protein (80 gms today), but I've started eating a little bit. I just chew extra long & eat extra slow. And, I had a smoothie today. yay!

Is anyone else experiencing painful (moderate) burps? I feel like burping should be good, but I get a bit of discomfort under my ribs each time. Kinda sucks, but certainly bearable. Also this stabbing shoulder pain that seems to keep coming out of nowhere is driving me crazy! On a high note, riding in the car does not hurt my belly anymore. My port site is the only thing that appears to be tender. I sneezed a couple of times today...OUCH! Can't wait to feel normal again - every day is closer, though! To answer another's question (sorry I didn't remember your screen name before I started typing my reply!) I don't not have any bruising. I think I am definitely swollen at the port site, though - seems to stick out more than the rest of my stomach. I went #2 yesterday - that was a relief and not painful at all. OK - TMI, but seems to be a shared concern post-surgery so I though I'd share :thumbup: I seem to be getting a little more interested in food. I pureed some Mexican leftovers that my family had for dinner (chicken, Beans, guac, sour cream) the first few bites were OK, then it just seemed to gross to eat. That has been my experience with everything I've tried to "make." I think I'm better off sticking with slimfast, Yogurt, pudding and cream soups! Tomorrow is my husband's b-day - we are going out to eat to one of my favorite restaurants. I am so excited to have some Lobster Bisque! I'm sure I could use the calories at this point...I'm not getting many in right now.

Happy Healing everyone:thumbup:

Yep, I have the shoulder pain too-it's that terrible gas. If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was a heart attack. But, I can feel it move around & then come up. And that port is really kind of sticking out. Hopefully that will start to go down too. I hope you enjoy your Soup tomorrow! Happy Bday to the DH! Enjoy!! Just remember to sip it slowly & you'll be fine. :)

I am definately experiencing the burping thing, mostly every time I stand up. For me it is pretty painful! I cannot wait to get rid of it!