Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, anyone have bmi too high for surgery?

I too started with a high BMI .. when I met my doc for the 1st time in Feb. my BMI was 54 & I was 318 pounds. He mentioned me needing to loose a little to get it under 50. That is just their personal preference in his office to reduce complications. Like a damn fool I keep thinking I have plenty of time and the next thing I know I am seeing him for my pre op in Aug. I had by then GAINED 10 pounds. He was prepared to cancel things and after much crying & pleading he agreed to re weight me in 3 weeks. Well I went back 3 weeks later and was down 2 pounds shy of where he wanted me. It wasn't a healthy way or good way but my back was against the wall and I took drastic measures. Anyway the bottom line was he still he did the surgery despite being over the 50%. It was his way of making sure I was serious about this and obviously a 10 pound gain when he said loose made him question my sincerity.

My BMI was 53 and 7 mo later it's 38. It takes a lot of work it's not a miracle cure, but I think if you are really determined enough you can make it work! I know it's gotta be crazy frustrating to hear you weigh to much to get weight loss surgery. That's like you have to have money to make money! Or have credit to get credit

My BMI is 72 and my Dr in Beverly Hill's is willing to do surgery, he did say gastric bypass would work better for me but i refused i said its lapband or nothing, much less complications.

Keep looking..... many Dr's will take payments over 1 or 2 yrs period, dont do it in Mexico, if you have complication dr's here wont want to take care of you.

I have an employee who was 500lbs... did the Bypass and has had 10 surgeries since then. His health is horrible.

My BMI was 52 and I have been banded about 1 month. Its now 48. I have lost 47 lbs since 11/23/10. My Dr is thrilled. So am I but know I have a long way to go.

I am tall.... 5'9" and carry my weight mostly below the waist so that may have had a bearing on his decision but he never batted an eye about doing the surgery.

I looked into Mexico..... as I too was self pay. It was 6-7k depending on who I went to. My hubby sat down and did the math...

1. Trip to San Diego for 2 = $600-$800 minimum
  2. Fills by a local Dr... if you can find one are over $150 each in my area / if I even 2 fills a year over a period of 10 years that is $3000!!! Depending on your age that could add up
  3. Pre surg liquid diet would be a few hundred
  4. complications after surgery ... unkown pricing

My Dr / hospital offered a flat rate of 10k which includes the pre op diet and visits, the surgery, fills and visits for 3 months post up and $50 fills forever after that. I put 5k down and am paying $208 per month to the hospital for 2 yrs interest free! My doctor is 5 minutes from my office and the nutritionist is a phone call away.

In my mind I there was no discussion.... I think if I lived in SoCal I may have ventured to Mexico but honestly I remember saying the day after surgery... I am SO glad I dont have to get on a plane right now! LOL

My BMI was about 71 when I had the surgery. Yes, 71! I was 444 lbs (5'6"). I already knew I wanted the band when I first went to my doctor, and he NEVER mentioned having bypass instead. He had no problems with my weight as a candidate for the band. It's all a doctor's personal preference on what they want to operate on and what they believe will be successful.

I've been banded 2 and a half years and I lost about 70 pounds, then bounced back the last few months, but it's not the band's fault - I have had a horrible time getting the fills I need. When I have restriction, I lose weight.

I was 441lbs when banded. I have heard of Dr suggesting that larger people do not do well with the band but IMO thats a bunch of crap. The weight definetly comes off faster with bypass but studies have proven that like 3 yrs out banders and bypassers have the same results. Bypassers have a window of opportunity (usually like 18mnths) and then have to be very careful to maintain. Banders lose slower but can be adjusted forever. Slow and steady wins the race!

you are inspirational to me! i started this journey at 454 and 5'10....my bmi was like 65. by the time i got to surgery it was under 60. im just glad to see someone who started out as high as i did doing well with the band. im only a couple days post op, but i have nothing but high hopes for this journey!

:confused:Hi, let me start by saying its amazing to see people that have been n my situation and actually get to a place where they r happier and healthier. im 24 yrs old. i m 455lbs n 5'4. i basically have no life to speak of rite now. i joined a gym almost a year ago, and i do really good for a month or so, then i quit for 2 or 3 months, and then do it all over again. ive recently started looking into being banded n mexico when i emailed back and told them my bmi, she said i would need to lose a considerable amount of weight, and has since quit replying my emails. :smile: am i really going to have to lose alot of weight before surgery is even an option ? im more depressed then words could ever even express, and now i find out im 2 fat for the weight loss surery, wth??? i need help asap. i get so head strong i do perfectly, exercise, diet, a few weeks, i feel awesome , have energy, then just quit. and when i quit. its for a long time. i am so good at advice for others. but have none for my self. i always think, if i wanted it bad enuff, id do it, so i must not want it that bad? if life was this hard, id change, but i dont? other ppl can do it. i must be 2 lazy. mayb it just isnt going to happen for me? i feel like i have this amazing personality, and wld love to let people see it. wld like to meet new ppl and enjoy life. but its soo barried under sadness jealousy and insecurity i just want my chance 2 be happy too.

I was banded on July 21, 2011 and my BMI was 39. My starting weight was 325 pounds and at surgery I had lost 315 pounds. I was told by my surgeon I had to lose enough weight to shrink my liver down or my date could be set back. I really got very nervous and I became somewhat angry with myself. I turned that anger into motivation to have something I really wanted more than anything. I started doing a lot of research on the web about food portion and foods that fueled the body. I also learned that my Water intake had a lot to do with my body holding on to the excess pounds. I really started drinking more Water because my body retains Fluid really bad. I have had a problem with my lower extremities swelling for several years. I ended up having vein surgery to repair some of the weak and inflated veins in my legs. I am very tall for the average woman (6'1) and several people did not believe I was over 300 plus pounds but I was.

Today, I am 55 pounds down and the swelling and excessive pain in my legs has mininized greatly. I continue to suffer from plantar fasciitis, but I do pray that too will continue to get better over time. I said all of that to encourage you to take control of your life. You have to start making slow changes in your diet daily, the portions that you are eating. and most of all do some type of physical activity every day. I too have a membership at the gym, but I workout better at home. I invested in a kettle bell, hand weights, resistance bands, an electric stepper, and several DVD's. By having all of my equipment handy at home it takes out the excuse of not going to the gym. I have my own personal gym right at home. I sometimes workout before going to work, before going to bed, and anything I have a spare moment. My workout times vary from 15-20-30 minutes, and sometimes an hour. I feel like any workout is better than nothing at all. When I am at work, use my potty breaks to do a couple of squats before leaving the bathroom.

Always remember, start small and build on the good things you have learned to do. It's called a life style change because diets have never worked for me. I pray GOD will open up a door for you to have your surgery. I know people who have had the bypass and several years later have gained a great deal of their weight back. It all depends on the person and their self well!

I am 5ft6in and weighed right at 600lbs my BMI was 93. I went to the Institute for Advanced Bariatric Surgey. They are located in Lenexa, Ks. Their website is www.laplose.com ths Drs. her are awesome they are a husband and wife team. As far a pricing I am not to sure on that I am covered by Medicare and my out of pocket costs were $2,400. That included a year of followup and fills. I was Banded on April 20, 2010 have had 7 fills and not recieved a single bill. Like I said I weighed 600lbs and am currently down to 450lbs. Good Luck with getting a good Dr and I would seriously look into this facility. I had to lose no weight before surgery and was only required to go on the Liver Shrinking 10 day diet.

I weighed 432... have lost 106 lbs in 9 months and LOVE my band. I wish you the VERY BEST OF LUCK!