Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went against my doctors advice and had the band

My surgeon said PCOS always bypass. I did not want bypass and got the band. My weight loss is slow and he is not happy. I am only down 7 pounds since May 27 surgery (20 total). I am worried I did the wrong thing. Anyone else have the surgeon say this?? I am pretty discouraged and down on myself now. Any support appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Ninababy. I have a band, PCOS and stuffed up thyroid but good restriction and have lost 43Kg/95lbs since Aug 09...I think it took me 3 or 4 months to learn to live with my band and get my restriction right.

Give it time and please be assured that slow weight loss is better than slow weight gain...all steps in the right direction will lead you to your destination. Stick with it girl :-)

Thanks so much. I am going to see my Endocrinologist the end of the month and She is very supportive of the Band.. and says the same as you. I need to hear it can be done.. thanks

I hope you are getting Metfomin for the insulin resistance that is part of the PCOS. You will need lower doses with less food intake but not having it will make your progress harder. Check with your endo.

Good point.. they took me off of it when I had the surgery.. but My Endo person had given me a liquid metformin script. My blood sugar has been very good.. but in the morning it is higher then it should be. I think I do need to be on it... I will ask her..

Hi. I'm hoping to get banded sometime in August or September. I have PCOS as well, but am currently not on Metformin. I was in the past and on BC at the same time. I got pregnant (lost it) got scared and went off the Metformin. My endo or my GP (who I think is a better doc than my endo) never advised me to go back on the Metformin. I have about 1/4 of my thyroid left because of a huge goiter that I had removed, along with my thyroid because the surgeon wasn't sure if the cells were cancerous or not.

I'm glad I read this thread, as I'll certainly have questions to ask my GP. Any suggestions? I'm glad to see people in the same situation still plugging along with the band. :)

it is confusing with all the doctors... they never told me to go back on metformin.. but I am going to see what my endo says.. I think I will lose better with that in place ... at least for now. Make sure you get your doctors to give you the word... it really is confusing..

My Dr. suggested bypass as well but I immediately told him that was not for me. At that time he looked at me and said ok we will do the band but your weight loss is going to be very slow. I told him I wanted to lose 48 lbs the first year he said that was doable but probably not much more(I don't think he wanted me to think I could shed weight as fast as everyone else. Which I already knew....I am an aerobics instructor, bicycler, do triathlons, and ran a 1/2 marathon 6months before I had surgery. I know it takes a miracle for me to lose weight. Anyways I am only down 37 lbs since Dec but also down 23 inches. When I get down my Mom says....when was the last time you were able to lose 37 lbs and keep it off? That kind of puts things back in perspective for me.

So...even though the weight loss is slow it is still weight loss....hang in there you will be thinner before you know it :tt2:

I also have PCOS, type II diabetes, and low thyroid. Both my Surgeon and Endocrinologist support my getting the band. I was warned ahead of time that I might be a slower loser opting for the band over other weight loss methods. I was not at a point in my life where I considered bypass surgery. The only surgery that I wanted was the band.

I have only had two fills so far (third is scheduled for this afternoon) and I have lost a total of 46-lbs in about 4 months. I am not restricted as of yet and have lost the weight due to sheer willpower. I am hoping that the next couple of fills will help me out a bit!

Please have patience with the process. PCOS will definitely slow down your weight loss but that doesn't mean that we won't eventually get there!

I too took Metformin and Januvia prior to surgery. Immediately before surgery I went off both medicines...under the guidance of my Endo. Since the surgery my 2-hour after meal sugars readings are great, but my morning fasting number has begun to creep up. She has put me back on the Januvia which I take before I go to bed. This has made a great difference in my morning fasting numbers.

Talk to your Endo and see what he/she recommends.

thank you all so much ... really.. I thought I was the only one.. Happy Mom.. we are twins.. I am off Metformin and all my sugars are good but my morning is creeping up

I see my endo next week.. and we will see what she says..

I am struggling.. I am hungry every 2 hours and I am trying to just drink some plain tea ( decaf) or eat a hand full of high Protein Kashi go lean.. ( one half cup is 70 cals)

I am just so ready to cry that the scale has not budged in three weeks...

I have PCOS and my doc never suggested bypass. He is a big go getter for the band ( and my BMI wasnt high enough). 4 months after getting the band I had already lost 50 pounds.

I had a few bumps in my journey and lost my band for 5 months but I was recently rebanded and am losing weight again :unsure:

Lots of people with PCOS get the band and are successful. If the scale doesnt move just be happy your not gaining weight. Some peoples journeys will be slower then others but good things come to those who wait.

No one has ever suggested bypass for me because of my PCOS. I was worried about losing with the band because of the PCOS. I haven't had to worry. 4 months out, I've lost almost 65lbs and haven't been on any meds (like metformin).

Hi! I havent been banded yet. I just started researching it and considering it. But I already know that bypass is not for me!! I think you have to do what is best for you and what you want, not what your doctor wants you to get!

I just have to say thanks to everyone for posting their weight loss with the band. I have PCOS as well and my view right now is that if I can lose anything!!!! It is better than staying here for getting heavier. Laura, great job by the way!!!!!

Laurie

No one ever suggested bypass over band to me, but I'm happy with the band. I am hypothyroid and have PCOS. Once I attained good restriction (which took five or six months), I lost at a good rate with no plateaus and am still losing--I never thought I would be this thin again!

I have PCOS but was not taking any Metformin because truthfully the only thing it was doing was making me sick. LOL! But, my doctor never advised against the band. They were all supportive of it - my OB/GYN, family doc and then my band doctor. He said he's given bands to plenty of PCOSers, and the weight loss helps control the symptoms of the PCOS. I have noticed recently that my periods are starting to regulate more, and aren't as bad as they were. Plus, some of my other symptoms are starting to subside.

I say go for the band. I don't regret it one bit!

Is my weight loss slower? Yes - but I try to stick with the band rules and eat more Protein before anything. I find that you start craving the Protein once you carb detox and that also helps with the blood sugars. I figure the weight will eventually come off and it's not a race. As long as the scale is going down, that's better than up. (Although, it can get frustrating at times, but it's better than gaining)