Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you PB?

I know it varies, and there is no rule or guideline other than "when you eat too fast" or "when you don't chew well." But from my readings here, it seems like it occurs a LOT more frequently than I would have thought. I know some people may do it daily and others may never do it, but how often do you do it - just on average? Once a day? Once a week? Month?

As you can tell, I'm absolutely dreading this aspect of the band...

(Sorry if this is a beaten horse, I searched but couldn't find any matches for frequency...)

I think it depends on the person and depends on a lot of factors. Relative level of restriction seems to be the biggest common denominator.

And PB's range from a mild "sort of stuck" and just spit up some saliva to a full on leaning over the toilet waiting for particles to come up.

For me, with just my first fill, I PB'd maybe once a week if even that much.

With my second fill I have great restriction but I'm having a hard time getting used to the new pace of eating so I'm pb'ing a few times a week (not always a full on leaning over the toilet kind, often just a "something is kind of stuck but I can wait it out" kind) and working VERY hard to get that reduced down.

I don't think the PB should be dreaded. It should instead be seen as a learning experience. I mean, you get immediate feedback when something didn't go down right. My surgeon calls the band "surgical behavior modification". That being said, a PB is hard on the band and of course something that we should all be working to avoid. I'm only five months out from surgery so I really feel like I'm still learning and each day I hold positive thoughts that my band is fine and properly in place.

I have been banded over 2 yrs now and I have had less than a once a month average (more like 10-15 times total). PBing is definitely something you shouldn't be making a habit of, as it can damage your esophagus AND is a factor in band slippage. It is not always avoidable, but diligence in chewing, cutting your food into pieces no larger than a pencil eraser, slowing down while eating can all help to avoid this unpleasant experience.

I think the frequency it may happen to you depends on how restricted you are and how keen you are to listening to your band when it speaks to your body. Hard stops, soft stops, hiccups, burps, sneezes, sudden runny noses are all signs that you are reaching your 'full' level and should stop trying to eat more.

As you said, it varies. Restriction factors in, as does eating; both what you eat and how.

In the past month, I have PB'd 3 times in 2 days. Prior to that, I got a bit stuck a few times (4 maybe?) but I don't remember PBing at all. Since banding in April, I remember...maybe a dozen PB's, all related to too big of a bite, too dry food, and one PB when I took one bite too many. Never did that again. I know when to stop now!!! The part I don't like about PBing isn't the actual "coming back up" of the food, it's the discomfort before-hand.

Surely I have PB'd more than a dozen times since April, but don't worry. Lots of folks are very good at avoiding it, and you can be one of them!

I read a lot of people saying they "vomit" or "cough up," which I equate to vomit. Do you think they really mean that, or is it a colloquialism for PB?

I read a lot of people saying they "vomit" or "cough up," which I equate to vomit. Do you think they really mean that, or is it a colloquialism for PB?

Yes.

For me, I can get "stuck" but don't actually PB. First comes stuck, then sliming, then the PB where it coughs back up and gets unstuck. Most times something stuck will pass on through in a few minutes.

A PB is not a vomit. They are very different. To me, anyway.

Candice, PB stands for "productive burp". It occurs when food gets stuck in the stoma. Sometimes it passes through, and sometimes it has to come back up.

I've been banded for 4 months and I've PB'd 3 times. Once was before my first fill. It was no big deal, and didn't feel like vomiting at all. Since then, I've had two big PB's where I did experience vomit-like heaves to get the food out. Not quite as bad as vomiting, but definitely worse than a burp. I've been very careful since then and I haven't had one now in 2 months.

Thank you for explaining that to me. I feel stupid. I have not had any PB's yet, but I am only seven weeks in. I think I am paranoid and still kinda stay on foods that can be mushed up with a fork and foods that don't clump up. I'm sure my day is coming because I have only had one fill (1.2cc) and don't have a lot of restriction yet.

My husband says I am turning into a health freak, but he kinda likes it because it makes him eat better too. I really stay on vegetables most of the time because they go down easily. I have also started experimenting with a totally organic diet, however, that is not the easiest thing to do because I live in a small town and organic items are hard to come by. I have to grocery shop about 30 miles away for my organic things.

I started using organic because I am prone to miagraines and processed foods have preservitives and additives that are major miagraine triggers for me. After being banded and trying to stick to a semi-vegetarian/organic diet I haven't had a single miagraine. I am so glad I have been able to treat my headaches with a diet change. I had tried it before, but not to this extent.

In the 2 1/2 months that I've been banded, I've PB'd a total of 4 times. I absolutely hate the feeling and now do anything and everything to avoid having one. I now know the triggers and stay far, far away from them.

Candice~

You mentioned that you stay mostly with vegetables...are you concerned about getting enough Protein? I thought we were supposed to eat Protein first and then other stuff? I am waiting for insurance approval and want to get it straight before surgery. Thanks!

Emily

Never, anymore. There was a period after each fill where I'd PB maybe twice, but then my behavior modified and I could avoid those situations.

Don't worry about it! Behavior modifidation is an important part of weight loss, we all know that. And this is the way it works. It always can be avoided with enough care.

I have about 2times in 6 months - once on a bagel - (HI DUH!!) and the next on pancakes - (talk about you reap what you sew!! HEHE - what an idiot!!)