Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Ever Wish You WEREN'T Banded?

I'm planning on banding surgery in January and have done tons of research. Other than the erosion/slippage issue, which is scary for anyone banded or considering it of course, I am feeling pretty comfortable with the decision to have the surgery.

But I have to wonder - are there days or moments or situations in which you wish, temporarily, that you weren't banded?

And, do you ever get tired of having the band and all of the "work" that goes along with it?

Be honest, don't feel like you have to sugar-coat it. I'm actually hoping to hear how those of you who do feel this way sometimes deal with it. Because I have a feeling that even with success, I'll be "over" the band sometimes.

Yes, I can honestly say that when I sat down to Thanksgiving dinner I thought that it would be really nice to have a little "restriction release" button to temporarily take out my saline. Sometimes, you just want to pig out and you can't. It's frustrating in the moment, but later (minutes or days depending on the frustration level) I am always really grateful that I had the band to keep me in check.

I have to agree-there are indeed times that I want to pig out and I hate coughing up so much food but honestly Im always glad I have it after the moment passes-its like impulse shopping-if you have the money you buy it but if you dont then later that day you completely get over it and realize u didnt really need nor want it as bad as you thought.

Same here. There are often times that I want to run to my drug of choice: food and there are often times that I do and get by with it. But mostly, the band is there to keep me from OVERDOSING in spite of myself.

There is maintenance that goes along with it. There are problems that can be associated with it, but again, these problems are preferable to me as opposed to the blood clots I was suffering, or the pain and swelling of my feet and legs or the lack of breath I had going up stairs or the inability to dance. My quality of life is 100% better than before the band. For this, I am truly grateful.

When I first got banded, I thought what the heck did you do to yourself. But 4 months out I have come to terms with this and realize I made a good choice here. Even though I have not felt true restriction yet, I know I did the right thing. My health is better, I feel better, I look better, (no more jaba the hut)...now just (miss piggy). LOL! But I am happy, getting healthy, and glad I am banded. Plus hubby says I get sexier everyday! :D

I am so glad that AmieFletch put this post up. I too have been researching this surgery alot and actually have my date set for Jan.9th. I am really excited and a little scared but I know that it will be worth it. food had been a deadly comfort for way to long.

I regretted getting my band ONCE and only ONCE. I had a nasty UTI and needed to take an antibiotic. The pill was huge and no matter how many times I cut it up, it wouldn't go down. I had to crush it and put in applesauce. NASTY.

Other than that time, I have NEVER regretted getting a band. I do not miss food in the least. I eat what I want when I am hungry, just in much smaller amounts.

This was a good question to get us all thinking.....

Not once in the last 4 months have I regretted what I've done. I'm down 77 pounds, and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

As I go along with this new part of my life, I'm starting to get of the opinion that if you eat slowly enough, and eat carefully (chew!), and pay attention after each bite to see if you are full or not, you won't have problems with the band. I've not "PB'd" so far, but if I eat too fast or don't chew enough, my stomach warns me ASAP!

My opinion is that a lot of people are in a rush to lose the weight it took them years to put on, and they get their bands filled too tight. They get sick, and people get scared about getting banded. Take your time, this is a multi-year journey.

Also, I think a lot of people are not modifying their behavior, either, with the band. That's something you'll have to learn on your own. If you dedicate yourself to using this tool fully, you will still enjoy food, eat healthily, and enjoy life much more.

PS - Thanksgiving for me was a piece of turkey and small servings of stuffing, mashed potatos, and some corn caserole (I'm a 6'1" guy, so my capacities may be more than others on this board). Things go down easy when you cover them with gravy, too!

I ate less than the two 20 year old girls at the table, and I was stuffed! I don't think I missed a thing :D

So, glad to finally , have some control, when being so out of control, at least you can say ,your fianlly doing something for yourself. other then self distruck. to look back to what??? emptyness and saddness. no time for that.

or regrets. its not easy, but, for the first time in your life you are fighting for something worth fighting for your health and well being ,besides family and friends. it takes a while to realize that, and when the big baby is happy , so are the little babys and that counts for alot ...

----------------------------------------------------------

Margie :D

4/5/04

295 now 247

goal 140

dr. texeira, ny

slow but safe

I'm a short-timer, but can't be happier. Feel great, and my appetite is for naught.

It used to be that I could never get enough, now I have to force myself to remember it is mealtime.

The permanent life change scares the s*&t out of me to be honest. I'm not the least afraid of having surgery, but I am afraid of having to change for the better permanantly. Its provided me with significant insight into why I've never been successful at losing weight before, basically I'm afraid to change.

It will occasionally bug me when I want to CHOW and know that I can't. It's a little aggravating when I have to adjust to taking medications differently. I can't just pop sinus headache meds anymore, unless I'm in need of a fill. Uhh, I don't like not having insurance coverage for my band, I was self-pay.

As for ever WISHING I wasn't banded, even for a second? Nope.