Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the pre-op process been for you?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums. Just curious what others have had to go as far a process to get lap-band?

I had to start with a seminar, then do some blood testing, and get my sleep apnea and high blood pressure under control. I had to have 2 psych evals (which I didn't get!), and I am now doing a 6-week "lifestyle changes" class that's required by the program. Has everyone had to do the class? I've just lost enough pre-surgery weight that the weight loss clinic will allow me to meet with the surgeon. I'm starting to get excited/nervous - but I won't be able to meet with them until my class is complete.

I am hate, hate, hating the class! My friend did the lap-band last year through a different hospital and her class seemed to be about practical things about how to adjust to the lap-band, foods, behaviors, etc.. Looking through my class workbook it's more psychological - goal setting, meditations, dealing with stress and other emotions. I've done 4 or 5 years of behavioral therapy because of bipolar disorder, so I kind of feel like I have a good handle on this stuff.

Does anyone have any good ideas for exercise habits? I've tried walking, but I got kind of bored quick with it, and I'm now doing a couple days a week of dance dance revolution and some wii sports. *geek* I also do some of the aerobics videos through netflix once or twice a week- but I don't want to get bored with these methods as well... what are you all doing for exercise?

Sorry for the wordiness! :thumbup:

Hi gogtigirlgo

Everyone's process is a little different. This is my second doctor because I ended up firing my first one. lol

I like my doc because all he focuses on is Lapband he does nothing else. I to had to go through blood work, psych eval, sleep test, and the seminar. It is a process but definitely worth going through. I am now on my two week pre-diet and again everyone is different depending on the doctor. Don't give up remember that this is a process and one well worth having.

My process included the seminar, a psych eval, an upper GI, a nutritional consult, watching an online program about the lap band and a clearance from my PCP. I have met all those requirements, so now the nurse has to sign off on my chart and they will submit to insurance. After insurance approval, I have a one-day nutritional class and then I get my surgery date.

My doc wants me to go on a four to six week pre-op diet. That is two Protein Shakes a day (breakfast and lunch) and a simple dinner (three to four ounces of Protein and a veggie like broccoli or green beans). I can add half a banana to each shake. If I feel the need to snack (which is discouraged), I can add deli meat, low-fat cheese or boiled eggs to my day. I'm going to start my pre-op diet on Tuesday (13 July) even though I don't have a surgery date yet. I'm hoping that they will be able to schedule my surgery sooner if I've already started on the diet.

As far as exercise, have you tried belly dance? Amazon has several DVDs that look like a lot of fun. I used to belly dance a long time ago, and it can be a great workout!

BTW, I have bipolar disorder too. Glad I'm not going through a class like yours! I didn't have to have two psych evals, but I did have to have a letter of support from my psych doc.

Good luck with the process. Keep us informed!

Becca - how close are you to surgery now? I was reading some peoples' posts last night and it seems like for some it's very fast. I think all told, I am going to be in the program 9 or 10 months before surgery. I hope the new doc is much better than the first for you; I can't imagine having to fire my doc for this and start over!

Amaris - Belly dancing sounds like fun! One of the netflix videos I've been doing is dance aerobics. It's kinda fun, but way out of my league right now. I'm so uncoordinated! I spend half the work out going, "you want me to do what?!" and the other half flailing about trying to attempt what they're doing. I'm just glad no one is home during the day to laugh at me!! Good luck with the pre-op diet... my dr just said to me that I needed to lose x number of pounds before surgery, but they weren't forceful about how I did it. I guess that can be a bit of a hindrance because now it means I won't have any eating habits to draw off of once I have surgery. I've just been trying really hard to eat healthy and be active. Have you found a good Protein Shake that you like yet?

I'm going to Vitamin Shoppe on Monday to buy my Protein Shake stuff. Someone mentioned that the Vitamin Shoppe store brand of 100% whey isolate is pretty good. My nutritionist suggests the whey isolate as the best kind of Protein. I'm not looking forward to the pre-op diet, but hopefully it won't be too bad. My husband is going on it with me for support. It sure will make it easier on me not to have to cook one thing for him and another thing for me!

Aww what a nice guy, your hubby! I know some nutrition stores have sample sizes if you ask for it. I have a friend that did the band and she said that whatever the Walmart brand is called was the best tasting for her. I can't say from experience myself. :) Is hubby going to follow the liquid and mashed/pureed diet as well down the road? hehehe...

Wow, I'm feeling pretty lucky at this point. I made the decision on Monday, June 28th called the doctor. She scheduled my surgery for the 21st of July. I spent 1/2 day at the hospital meeting with the nutritionist, anast., pharmacy, and then back to the doctor's office. Now I am on day 2 of the pre-op diet which is Optifast for me. I'm done now until the 21st! I am paying for it myself though. Insurance won't pay for it. :)

The Optifast diet is going to be the end of me though! I'm crabby already! I still have 12 days to go!

gogtigirlgo -- We haven't talked about post-surgery. I do know for a few days, he'll be on his own simply because I won't feel like preparing his meals. If it gets bad for me, he'll join me -- he's that kind of guy. He totally supports me in my decision to do this. He never once suggested that I just try conventional methods one more time, or that I exercise more, or anything like that. Like you said, he's a pretty nice guy.

darlak -- It does sound like you've had it pretty easy, as far as having to jump through hoops! Good for you! My requirements weren't so much for my insurance company, though, as they were just the standard requirements for my doc's office. Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery. Keep us posted!

Hi! :) Let's see.... I had to do 4 months of nutrition visits.... blood work... chest xray... EKG... psych eval... and that's about it. My pre-op diet should begin in close to two weeks.... I am lucky in the sense that I do get to eat a little! My surgeon prefers EAS shakes for Breakfast and lunch.. then chicken or turkey and a green veggie for dinner.< /p>

Becca - how close are you to surgery now? I was reading some peoples' posts last night and it seems like for some it's very fast. I think all told, I am going to be in the program 9 or 10 months before surgery. I hope the new doc is much better than the first for you; I can't imagine having to fire my doc for this and start over!

Amaris - Belly dancing sounds like fun! One of the netflix videos I've been doing is dance aerobics. It's kinda fun, but way out of my league right now. I'm so uncoordinated! I spend half the work out going, "you want me to do what?!" and the other half flailing about trying to attempt what they're doing. I'm just glad no one is home during the day to laugh at me!! Good luck with the pre-op diet... my dr just said to me that I needed to lose x number of pounds before surgery, but they weren't forceful about how I did it. I guess that can be a bit of a hindrance because now it means I won't have any eating habits to draw off of once I have surgery. I've just been trying really hard to eat healthy and be active. Have you found a good Protein shake that you like yet?

gogtigirlgo,

I am one step closer to surgery. My surgery is scheduled for 7/14. Count down is on.lol Your right everyone's process is a little different. As for firing my doctor, it was the best decision I ever made. It just took some time because I wasn't listening to the signs. My main reason, was I was given a quote for price which I am paying out of pocket for. I have been blessed and my parents have offered to take care of it. However, once I met with the doctor I never saw her again. Everytime I completed what they wanted (over a two month span) there was always one more thing that I had to pay out of pocket for. Nothing was organized and they always had just one more thing for me to do. Thats after they said there would be nothing more. I also went for three appointments and waited over two hours just to find out that they never scheduled them like they said they did. The reason I write all this is just to inform everyone to listen to their heart and go with your gut.

My second doctor is wonderful!! From the start everything was included in the price. Including psych, blood work, and sleep study. Unfortunately, I had paid for these all out of pocket but, was able to transfer them all to new doctor.

I have yet to find a Protein Shake that taste good. My suggestion for this is to listen to people online and see what they have to say. I bought Bariatric Advantage (which was not cheap) from the doctor and ended up throwing it out. So make sure that if you are allowed to eat on your pre-op diet that you pull it all from Protein and veggies. I ended up just drinking slim fast.

Everyone's time frame is different and depending on your doctor depends on the test. However, I decided in the beginning that they were trying every possible way to make sure I was healthy enough and I appreciated that.

There is no doubt that this new friend of ours (lapband) is only a tool to get us going and to help but, you are right we must exercise. I am one, that has never been dedicated to working out but, know that it will be a neccesity when all is said and done. So find something that is fun for you. The belly dancing idea sounded great and of course close your drapes in the livingroom while doing this. :)

Just remember, that this pre-op diet is so that it can shrink the liver to make it more easier for the doctor to due the surgery and safer for you. The first 10% of weight loss comes right off the liver. You don't have to lose a lot to make it healthier for you. In other words don't kill yourself on this pre-op diet. Make sure you stay close to this website as well, because, it will help you get through the difficult times while going through this process.

Edited by Beccatatqueen

I started with a seminar January 2010 and already had sleep study. Had blood work. Had to do a psych eval and 6 months of monthly visits to either pcp or nutritionist. Had to go to one support group. Had to have physician documentation of the past 5 years of being overweight.

July 14 is my 6 of 6 monthly appointments then finally my paperwork can be submitted to insurance. Then I can be nervous while waiting for (hopefully) my approval.

It's a long slow process for many and it makes you patient if nothing else.

Good luck and hope your process goes smoothly.

Edited by PuppyBandit
typo

for my pre op, I had/have to

One original seminar - done

consult - done

psych eval - done

GI consult with endo. Made first appt, will make endo appt after that

pulmonary consult

nutrition - who requires 3 consults, 2 before, 1 after

Cardiac consult

3 required support meetings

Oh and I need bloodwork, chest rads, abdominal ultrasound, venous ultrasound, aand a consult with the coordinator at the hospital where I will have my sx.

Edited by Jess55

My surgeon's office stopped recommending EAS or Muscle Milk because of the trace levels of arsenic and cadmium. They apparently meet government standards, but isn't any too much if you don't have to ingest it? The now recommend "100% whey Isolate". The nutritionist told me to go to GNC and tell Dude that I'm about to have the lap band and he will fix me right up. I don't know where there's a GNC near me, so I'm going to Vitamin Shoppe. I hear they are less expensive than GNC anyway ...

My surgeon prefers EAS shakes for Breakfast and lunch.. then chicken or turkey and a green veggie for dinner.

Jess, My prerequisite list looks a lot like yours. I thought it was due to my age (55) but you are a youngin' so I imagine some doctors just require more. I have to do a consult and sleep study too.

My first visit with my surgeon was May 27th, which was about 3-4 weeks after the seminar. Though it seems like I have been poked and prodded at every angle possible already, I still have 3 biggies to get through. It seems like I will never get a date, and I am self-pay. =/

Along with many other things, my insurance required 8 weeks of behavior management classes on the phone. They were boring and not helpful and I really did not learn much. And I had to do another 8 weeks of them after surgery!

I looked at it like taking general studies classes my freshman year in college. Boring, not what I wanted to be doing, but every class was a step toward my goal of getting a degree. In this case it was toward getting banded.

It took me 18 months as I changed surgeons twice - once because the surgeon stopped practicing at the right hospital for my insurance and once becase the program was not inviting, helpful and educational. I found a great progam and I know I made the right choice.

I finally got banded April 7 and I am doing great. I could not be happier.

I hope you will be posting a response about your surgery experience and your wonderful progress within a few months too!

Good luck!