Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had the surgery yesterday. I am looking for liquids that meet the Protein requirements. Somehow in the process I didn't do the pre op nutritionist class before the surgery. I met with her prior so I have some info but looking for things to drink besides Protein Shakes. I've seen people mention cream of wheat, yogurt and broth but wanted to make sure that these are okay so soon.

1 week post op I was only supposed to do clear things: Jello, popsicles, broth, gatorade, etc. My doc/nut said as long as I could see through it, it was ok. I didnt move on to cream of wheat, yogurt, other Soups, milk, stuff like that until 2 weeks post op. Every doc is different but the things you listed are fine. There is no a whole lot else I really did. Lots of gatorade (G2 less cals and sugar), popsicles, broth, milk, yogurt, cream of wheat, Protein Shakes, ....ya...I didnt get too creative.

My doctor didn't consider yogurt or cream of wheat to fall into the "liquid" category at all. I didn't have a clear stage, except for the day of surgery. When I was on full liquids, it had to be fully drinkable, not thicker than that. So yes, Protein shakes were my main drink, but I also bought a lot of creamed-type Soups (though the ones I bought were NOT cream, just that style.) I used IMAGINE brand, from the organic section- portobello mushroom Soup, red bliss potato Soup, Tomato. Even broccoli. Delicious, low fat, no chunks. (and they come in cartons, so some of them are quite low in sodium).

Kefir is a type of drinkable yogurt you might try. I also did smoothies, with milk added to make them fully liquid. I used a good bit of Carnation instant Breakfast (the no sugar added kind with extra protein).

I am currently on my "clear liquids" post-op diet, it has consisted of Water, propel, sf Jello, sf popsicles, chicken broth, and Protein Shakes. On day 6-10 I get to move on to thicker creamier foods like oatmeal, thicker Soups ect. Good luck to you and congrats on your journey to your new life!

I was banded Tuesday 6/29/10 at 3:00 pm. Was not allowed ANYTHING until my GI test was done the following morning Wednesday. They started me with ice chips. After about 2 hours I was then given clear broth, herbal tea and Crystal Lite. That stayed down fine. A little later that evening I had chicken broth and sugar free Popsicle. Thursday at home I had 1 Isopure shake (50 grams) protein., 1 Carnation Instant Breakfast with 8 oz skim milk (14 grams) Protein, 1 cup Tomato Soup made skim milk. I also had Sugar Free Jello. Same for Friday . I had 5.3 oz Greek Yogurt this morning. Kept it down fine. So far so good! Good luck to you!

I was on clears for the first 10 days.... as previous poster said had to be something you could see through... when I moved to liquids it was something that could be drunk with a straw at room temp (jello, pudding liquifies etc..) of course not actually using a straw at the time... When I was dying for something on the clear liquid phase I bought some egg drop Soup and strained it- It was like heaven. Good luck on the journey!

i was on clear for the first 5 days now i am on liquids but my dr is very strict and wants only protine drinks!!! i have that and lots of Water and a sf popcile every nite as a snack. next apointment i get to move to puree foods for two weeks , but dr still wants 2 protine shakes a day and one snack and one small soft meal. then after next appointment then i get to move to solids!!!

good luck to you all!!!

I found a great Protein Water made by Designer whey. They have two kinds: 1 has 12 grams of protein, the other has 30 grams. And. . they're Clear Liquids, it was a life saver to get in my protein reqirements right after surgery. Heck, I still use them and I'm 3 weeks out. Bandster Hell my friend. :thumbup: Take Care!

I found a great Protein Water made by Designer whey. They have two kinds: 1 has 12 grams of Protein, the other has 30 grams. And. . they're Clear Liquids, it was a life saver to get in my protein reqirements right after surgery. Heck, I still use them and I'm 3 weeks out. Bandster Hell my friend. :thumbup: Take Care!

Where did you find that? I really need something like that...can't drink another Protein shake.

Isopure is another option. It's a clear type of liquid, 40 grams of Protein, low on calories, no carbs....it's not the cheapest thing but GNC the first week of the month always have a sale. It's a large bottle and will take you a while to get it down and you'll have to try out the different flavors to find one you like but I couldn't do the soy based creamy type of Protein drinks. they gave me gas. So I did the Isopure and the EAS Edge that you can buy at Wal-mart, which one of each gave me 57 grams of Protein and throw in a greek yogurt when you can do yogurt and you got it.

Good luck all. I'm headed back for a revision so I will be right there with you guys again.... :thumbup::)

trisha

The first few days or even weeks you will not meet all the requirements.....like 50-100 grams of Protein. The swelling needs to go down and healing needs to start. Follow the instructions the surgeon gave you. Mine was one week of ice cold clear liquids, one week full liquids, then on to the stage where I could have things like cream of wheat.

My doctor told me not to worry about the Protein requirements during the clear liquid phase. I did have a plain Protein powder, but he asked me NOT to add it to my clear liquids; he really, really wanted me to have that time for my digestive system to rest---and clear liquids allow that.

So, if you're on clear liquids, I would ask before adding Protein. If you're on full liquids, then the playing field is MUCH larger, and there are many, many more possibilities.

Is there any way you can get the literature from the nutrition class from your doctor's office? My doctor provided a CD with a lot of very useful information---yours may have something similar that could help guide you.