Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you still eat out after banding?

We eat out at least once a week. Will I still be able to do this after I get banded?

I know that's probably a dumb question but I really do want to understand everything that I'm getting into before hand.

We occasionally eat mexican food which is something I truly love. Will I still be able to have it?

I eat out about once a week or so. There really isn't anything I can't eat, but I do eat differently than pre-band. Since I can't eat very much, I frequently just order an appetizer or a side dish. Also, I rarely touch the bread or rolls. It's not that I can't eat them. It's just that if I do, I won't have any room for my dinner. I've also been known to order a small salad or Soup for dinner, so I know I'll have room for dessert, if that's what I really wanted. Most times, I'm bringing home the leftovers. My husband is always taking them to work the next day.

Cindy

yes you can eat out, i eat out once a week as well....sometimes twice.....and the only difference is that you don´t the same quantity as before....sometimes i share with my husband, other times i order an appetizer....you´ll get the hang of it......goodluck:thumbup:

No problem eating out, but the way you eat out will change. Since I got my lap band, when I am at a restaurant, the first thing I do when I sit down is ask if anyone wants to split an entree. I can usually get my husband or daughter to share with me. If not, I'll order a healthy appetizer or the Soup as my entree. When there is an entree that looks too good to pass up, I'll order it, and bring the leftovers home.

It will take trial and error to discover what restaurant foods you can and cannot eat. For example, I can usually eat a roll without ruining my appetite, but even the tiniest bite of a fried appetizer completely fills me up. I have discovered that I can eat sashimi, but not sushi rolls (the rice get stuck). Pasta and pizzas are a big no, but fish and salads work for me. As for Mexican food, I have no problem ordering what I used to (crunchy beef tacos, rice and refried bean platter), but now I just eat 1 taco and a few bites of the refried Beans, instead of the entire platter. I also cannot only have a few sips of my favorite frozen margarita, otherwise it will completely fill me up.

Bottom line is remember to think small portions, eat slowly and order wisely.

I LOVE to eat out! I've also sort of got a "system". If I know where we're going ahead of time I'll search their menu on-line and decide what I want before I even get there. I totally agree with not eating the chips or rolls and def no drinking right before or during! At least I can't do it until at least 10-15 minutes afterwards. And also very important is to know where the bathroom is just in case you have a PB moment.

Ordinarily I order a bowl of Soup like tortilla soup, black bean soup, potato soup or even gumbo. I also enjoy grilled chicken salads with a side of lite ranch and lots of lemon wedges and sprits the juice over top too. YUM! Or share chicken/beef/shrimp combo type fajita platter and eat the grilled veggies but skip the other fixings except for salsa maybe and noOo flour or corn tortillas either. Love love love grilled fish with steamed veggies too. I try to stay away from carbs. But I'm human and uhm Mexican soOoO sometimes it happens, I'll break down and have chips, refried bean, salsa and queso but then that would be my meal and I wouldn't order anything else.... 'cept maybe a frozen margarita to wash it down afterwards! LOL Oh and a juicy steak, meatloaf or meatballs rare when I order it because the portions are ginormous but it's a also a good source of Protein and you can save the left overs for the next day.

I don't eat much when I go out. It's sometimes a waste of food so I don't bother to order regular platters like I used to in the past. I've found that these choices work best for me. Eating any type of Pasta dish, spaghetti and the like I totally avoid. I don't even consider it!

I take my time, chew chew chew. Eating out now for me is far more pleasurable because it's not about the food anymore. No longer am I stuffing myself till it hurts. It's more about the people I'm with and enjoying our time together while at the table!!

s240/c184/g140

I am three years out. This is an example of what I ate last time I visited a restaurant. 1 glass of wine first (fine with my doc). Slice of garlic bread, small side ceasar salad and an italian sausage. I drink my wine first and then very slowly eat the food. I am usually the last to finish even though I eat the least. Sometimes I order a regular meal, but try to choose something that reheats nicely, so that I can enjoy my special meal several times! Looking at the appetizer menu is a good idea-unfortunately so many are fried and just don't sit well with me.:scared2:

I love to eat out. Mexican is my favorite. I usually order 1 taco and a side of refried Beans. I eat the whole taco and take about 5or6 tortilla chips and dip in the beans. I can hold about1/2 or 1/4 c beans, not alot, but it is so good. I don't usually have a problem with this. I will order an appetizer sometimes for my meal. This is usually plenty. Shrimp goes down good as does any salad with chicken or shrimp. I avoid the bread and starchy vegs. It just takes a little thought because you won't be able to eat like you used to. I find it very easy to have a PB episode if I am not extremely careful eating out. Good luck.

I'm a newbie...what is "PB"?

Eating out wont be a problem, its just you won't be able to eat as much.mi would stay away from bread that comes out prior to your meal simply because you won't touch your meal.

I do know folks have issues with certain foods, though I don't have issues with the below list, they are more difficult to get down and I cannot eat two difficult things together, otherwise I get stuck

Difficult items for me to eat:

Lettuce

Breads

White Pasta

Red meat

Fried foods

pizza

The band is the band is the band.....should not matter where you are, and what food is offered to you...whether you are on vacation, at a party, a wedding, thanksgiving, or your favorite restaurant......whatever...the band remains the same.....

The band is the band is the band.....should not matter where you are, and what food is offered to you...whether you are on vacation, at a party, a wedding, thanksgiving, or your favorite restaurant......whatever...the band remains the same.....

i like this......NICE

My only advice to eating out is to just remember to chew chew chew. Whenever I get in trouble with getting things 'stuck' it's usually when we are out to eat. I am preoccupied with talking or keeping my kids in check or eating faster because we are rushing, etc. For me, I tend to 'forget' and not chew as much or I take too big a bite of something. Old habits die really hard! So just be cognizant of that!