Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Pace Maker....

OH.. and in regards to the PCOS food addiction thing...

People with PCOS crave carbs more than others. It is a hormonal thing. Kill or die for a twinkie type of feeling. I have it and know that when I am "on carbs" I am an obsessive compulsive eater. Living from "carb fix" to "carb fix". Like a druggie.

When I am "off carbs" and on Atkins I do not attack things, but I still can not lose weight at a fast rate. One study I read said that a woman with PCOS would have to limit calories to under 1000 and exercise 85 minutes a day to lose and average of two pounds a week. Totally messed up when you figure if we eat ANY amount of carbs it goes straight into storage (our fat bottoms/bellies).

So guess you can look at it like a food issue, just more hormonal/metabolic than mental.

I guess if you have never died on an operating table Sue, and actually saw people on the other side and touched the hand of God, you can call yourself an atheist. Maybe that is why all of your remarks to others are so sarcastic.

We discussed Wynonna because she discussed herself why she decided against gastric bypass and her love of food. I love Wynonna Judd's voice, whether she is big, little or inbetween. She has one of the most beautiful voices in all of country music. Nothing was said to judge her at all. I think it is how you perceived it.

I wish you luck. An atheist is simply someone who is afraid of believing.

I have PCOS, but the carbs that do me in are corn since I'm sensitive to it. So anything with corn anything can set me off on wanting to eat and eat and eat. Avoiding corn hasn't done anything for my weight loss, but it sure as hell has with my not gaining weight.

I don't abuse food, but steroids and other medications have caused me to gain large amounts of weight.

This new technique may prove to be very helpful. I know that there are so many people out there that need help too. This is one reason that I'm fairly public with my band, I figure that if I can inform people, then more people with be informed.

I think, based on my DHs experience, that the band would probably be a useful tool for people with bad food addictions. He used to weigh 600 pounds, and he's down almost 200 so far. Oh, and he dind't have any issues with steroids or other meds that contrubuted to his weight.. eating 4 super value fast food meals in one sitting did that...

I'm sorry Tomorrowsdream that you read Sue as being sarcastic, she is very sincer and not sarcastic as a general rule. She does have a biting sense of humor that I appricate. Unfortunately, Sue is one of the people that the band wasn't the right tool they need. She's been struggling with her band a long time.

I wonder when Sue says she is praying to survive a surgery who she is praying to? I'm just sick of getting atheism crammed down my throat. This isn't a religious board, but almost all her post boast of being an athiest. I happen to believe a different way and I get a little sick of hearing about the atheism. Sorry if it didn't set right with you.

I did see the show and was kinda dumbfounded. If the gadget only works till the battery runs out did they mention they go in and then take it out?? or do they leave it in you discharged??? It seems what they were pushing to get it known to the public since it goes out for approval in 2006.

But touching on Wynona she is beautiful and I just think she does have alot of emotional problems to get through. Maybe one day she will surprise us and get the extra weight off with no surgery.

I guess if you have never died on an operating table Sue, and actually saw people on the other side and touched the hand of God, you can call yourself an atheist. Maybe that is why all of your remarks to others are so sarcastic.

We discussed Wynonna because she discussed herself why she decided against gastric bypass and her love of food. I love Wynonna Judd's voice, whether she is big, little or inbetween. She has one of the most beautiful voices in all of country music. Nothing was said to judge her at all. I think it is how you perceived it.

I wish you luck. An atheist is simply someone who is afraid of believing.

So...we're done with Wynonna and it's my turn? I don't need anyone to approve of my beliefs...especially those who are the self-appointed judges of everyone else. I didn't mention anyone by name...it's one of those shoe fits things.

OH.. and in regards to the PCOS food addiction thing...

People with PCOS crave carbs more than others. It is a hormonal thing. Kill or die for a twinkie type of feeling. I have it and know that when I am "on carbs" I am an obsessive compulsive eater. Living from "carb fix" to "carb fix". Like a druggie.

When I am "off carbs" and on Atkins I do not attack things, but I still can not lose weight at a fast rate. One study I read said that a woman with PCOS would have to limit calories to under 1000 and exercise 85 minutes a day to lose and average of two pounds a week. Totally messed up when you figure if we eat ANY amount of carbs it goes straight into storage (our fat bottoms/bellies).

So guess you can look at it like a food issue, just more hormonal/metabolic than mental.

This issue has fascinated me...since I probably had PCOS before they had a name for it. I had several of the symptoms and so does our daughter. I will warn you that the carb-no carbs thing is still up to the individual, banded or not. In fact, as I was able to tolerate less wholesome food, I ended up with meringue Cookies and things that dissove at body temp. I gained a few there! Good info, though.

I wonder when Sue says she is praying to survive a surgery who she is praying to? I'm just sick of getting atheism crammed down my throat. This isn't a religious board, but almost all her post boast of being an athiest. I happen to believe a different way and I get a little sick of hearing about the atheism. Sorry if it didn't set right with you.

1--Sue DOESN'T SAY she is praying. Ever.

2--I didn't realize we non-believers had a recruitment program. I'm not trying to convert anyone and nobody converted me. (Do you think I missed out on a toaster oven or something?)

3--I don't "boast" of being an atheist any more than the Christians here are "boasting" about their beliefs, which would be a remarkably un-Christian thing to do. We all believe whatever we believe...it's a part of what makes each of us who we are.

4--Sorry you are "a little sick of hearing" of my beliefs. Do you suppose we should ban ALL references to what we believe in, or just those that don't line up with what you believe?

I hope for your sake that God guides the hand of the surgeon that operates on you because I wish you nothing but the best. The fact that you sign your posts "the friendly neighborhood atheist" is bound to grate on someone that believes in God.

I'm sorry to hear you have no one to pray too. I find that extremely sad for you.

And so she said.........I'm not touching this topic again. I wish you well.

I have always been proud of this board for having an amazing abilty to respect the opinions/beliefs/viewpoints/whatevers of one another. As a Christian, I have on occasion read posts that move a bit too close to personally offensive. I choose not to be personally offended and ignore and move on. It keeps the peace. It generates mutual respect. It doesn't change or compromise my personal beliefs whatsoever. I don't have to agree with another person's personal spiritual beliefs, or lack thereof? to learn and grow from that person. Everybody's got something to say. Listen or don't, but always respect. My opinion.

What I thought was most interesting about the Wynonna interview was something she said about "getting it together" or "falling into place". She commented that once all these other issues in her life were dealt with, the weight would fall off. That is a huge paraphrase...but you get the idea.

What I have discovered is the opposite is true for me. NONE of that stuff was ever going to come together for me until I could get the weight under control. Get the FAT factor fixed, then the rest will fall into place. It's happening slowly. I am not yet to goal, or even close enough to goal to say, fine, close enough for me. I'm still big and still have at least 50 pounds to lose to have a 24 BMI. I think the "issues" become easier to deal with as the weight comes off.

I really really really want to find out if I could get this gastric pacemaker in MX, since I'm so recently paranoid...I'm talking DeLarla convinced...that my band has eroded and I will lose it. That's my Plan B. I can deal with a diet if I just have some help on the "I'm full" feeling.

With all due respect, obesity due to PCOS is a definite factor but if you are over 100 lbs. overweight you are ALSO likely to be abusing food (i.e., eating beyond hunger).

So my humble apologies to anyone on the site that was "gasp!" mistakenly labeled with a food addiction - those with PCOS, thyroid disorders and gland problems....

I actually never thought of having a food issue as being such a horrible thing but obviously you do.

I'm not going to get into an argument with someone on a message board. I simply stated that you shouldn't assume anything yet you're doing it again. Read up a bit on PCOS and you might learn something.

Out of my ignorance and curiosity, why is PCOS treated with Lapbad Surgery?

PCOS is typically treated with diabetic medications, such as Glucophage. However, because one of the symptoms of PCOS is weight gain, many women (like myself) have failed to lose weight even with proper dieting and exercise. I'm not, nor have I ever been, obsessed with food. Prior to getting my band, I didn't over eat. I may not have always made the right food choices, but I was not one to over eat. Please read my post on the following thread about why I am fat.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5223&page=8&pp=15

The band doesn't cure anything...except overeating large quantities of solid food at one sitting.

Please refer to my answer above to seehawksimms.

I hope for your sake that God guides the hand of the surgeon...
I just want my surgeon to show up sober and well-rested.
... that operates on you because I wish you nothing but the best.
I'm sure you are convinced that you are doing and saying and wishing all the right things for all the right reasons.
The fact that you sign your posts "the friendly neighborhood atheist" is bound to grate on someone that believes in God.
I have signed ONE post that way in the almost two-and-a-half-years I have been a member here. And I have NEVER complained about anyone else asking for/sending prayers. Most of the time, when I don't agree with someone else's religious philosophy, I keep my complaints and my comments to myself. I highly recommend that approach. I'm not sure how many people here--or anywhere for that matter--would invite a stranger on an internet bulletin board to critique their religious/philosophical beliefs. But I don't mind being first in the line of people who do not desire that information from ANYONE.
I'm sorry to hear you have no one to pray too. I find that extremely sad for you.
Free country. You can be sad about whatever floats your boat.
And so she said.........I'm not touching this topic again.
Promise?
I wish you well.

Yeah.

Sue

:::the intermittently friendly neighborhood atheist:::

My mom asked about the "gastric stimulator" I am guessing this is the same thing? It shocks the inside of the stomach to make you feel full? If it is in deed the same, I did not read the article, here is what she was told:

The stimulator makes about 30% of the people that have it feel nauseous (sp?) all the time, others feel tired and crampy like they have to have a bowel movement or are overfull most of the time. I was also told that it has to be replaced every 5-7 years. (depending on the model and settings used?) And some people feel the shock instead of just feeling full, I think this device needs to be tested and maybe have some bugs worked out before being made totally public. I know it has been overseas for a while but there still seem to be some issues with this. And if it is the same price as the band (is it?) and it is only going to last 5-7 years with a higher complication rate, is it worth it? ~Mandy

I did not see the 20/20 show… but I heard about the gastric pacemaker about 2 years ago. I actually applied to be part of the clinical study they were doing but was not accepted. I’m glad I was not and am really happy I found out about and chose the band. If anyone is interested one of the doctors in the study was Dr. Louis Arrone in NY, I think he is part of the Weil <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:State w:st=New York</st1:State>, I think he is part of W<st1:PlaceName w:st=" /><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Medical</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Center.</st1:PlaceType>

To the Carnie Wilson comment… was she on the show and said she gained 40 lbs.? I saw her about a month ago on the street and thought looked great. The only thing that looked big on her was her hair! Of course she was wearing a long jacket and could have been hiding it really well but I don’t think so.