Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid to post this, but I really need advice

Hi guys! I was nervous about posting this, but I really need help.

I was banded on May 13, and so far I'm down 17 pounds. I am walking 45 minutes 5-6 days a week. Until a week ago, I had my food under control, but this week, I have kind of fallen off the wagon and it scares me. I notice that I am hungrier (my first fill is July 8). I am also making poor food choices. I haven't gained any of my weight back YET. I'm not eating as much as I used to be able to eat before I got the band, but more than usual since I have had the band. I keep telling myself that nothing tastes better than thin/healthy, but sometimes it's hard. Has this ever happened to anyone? If it has, how did you get back on track? I hope it's okay that I posted this.:smile2:

The band will help you with the quantity of food but not quality.

My dietitians have said on more than one occasion that there is nothing wrong with any food if eaten in moderation.

They also say to eat until I am no longer hungry. If you are hungry immediately following a meal, you aren't eating enough.

The best way to get back on the wagon is to make compromises with yourself. Eat the foods you love but in moderation and not very often.

Sounds to me like you are ready for that 1st fill...it should help alot...but defineatly try to eat better...be concious of everything you put in your mouth. There are probably foods you may be able to eat now, that you won't after your fill.

Also, do not beat yourself up over a few bad choices, it is self defeating, as you are probably already aware of.

Good luck and let us know how things are going for you!

Later, Joanie :smile2:)

Of course it's OK to post this! That is why we are here, to help eachother!

It sounds as if you are ready for that upcoming fill. Getting hungrier is a sign that a fill is needed.

I think most of us struggle with food choices. The band doesn't do anything to our brains and the foods we like. I am a junk food junky, and will always be one. It is something I fight every day. The band helps me with that by keeping my physical appetite under control. With that battle handled I only have to fight the head hunger. That is a huge win for me. It helps me to make better choices when I am hungry.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Understand that this is the way the band works. In the future, when you find you are getting hungry (I mean physically hungry) between meals, it is time to consider a fill.

Best wishes!

Btrieger you couldn't have been more right when you said "The band will help you with the quantity of food but not quality". I'm am definitely going to try to compromise with myself. I know what foods are okay and what foods arent okay. I just have to get myself back into eating the foods that will keep me fuller longer.

Slowmover54 and Cocoa..I am DEFINITELY ready for my first fill. It feels like it's going to take forever to get to July 8! I am beating myself up over the couple bad choices I made this week. It IS very self defeating. I keep trying to tell myself that I can't take those choices back. I have to move on and do better from here on out.

Cocoa I think head hunger is my problem right now. I am a snacker (especially at night) and I had it under control until this week. I just have to get myself back in gear.

Thanks for your posts guys! You have all done so well with your weight loss! Keep up the good work! :smile2:

Protein helps keep your appetite under control. If you eat Protein, you will have fewer cravings, but not all of them.

You could try making a deal with yourself. Eat an ounce of protein and wait 30 minutes. If you are still craving, you can eat a small amount of what you are craving. Try eating a sting cheese (they come low fat) or an ounce of 98% fat free deli sliced chicken or turkey - it is finger food with no cooking so it is ready NOW, just like Cookies, cake, all the stuff we are trying to stay away from..

I find this gets me through sometimes when I am thinking about grazing. It add extra protein, limits the calories and fills me up for a while.

You will be better after a fill or two. Just remember, the band doesn't work without fill - it gets better!

Good luck!

Edited by Froggie D

I was banded on May 13, and so far I'm down 17 pounds. I am walking 45 minutes 5-6 days a week. Until a week ago, I had my food under control, but this week, I have kind of fallen off the wagon and it scares me. I notice that I am hungrier (my first fill is July 8). I am also making poor food choices. I haven't gained any of my weight back YET. I'm not eating as much as I used to be able to eat before I got the band, but more than usual since I have had the band. I keep telling myself that nothing tastes better than thin/healthy, but sometimes it's hard. Has this ever happened to anyone? If it has, how did you get back on track? I hope it's okay that I posted this.:)

Its ok.. i had my band done jan 27 10, and i am now 6m out and am down 45lbs.. i had alot of times where i would fall off the wagon and eat unhealthy.. but next day i was determined and set my mind to eating high Proteins.. i keep telling myself lack of Protein means i can loose my hair.. NOOOO not gonna happen..i still eat some not so healthy things but only little portions.. i have had my lapband adjusted 6 times so far.. i have 6.2cc in it.. now.. i go in 2weeks to see howmuch i lost...keeping up on exercise and trying to eat as much Protein as u can helps.. dont get scared or discouraged.. set ur mind to it.. be determined..:smile2:

I was banded on May 13, and so far I'm down 17 pounds. I am walking 45 minutes 5-6 days a week. Until a week ago, I had my food under control, but this week, I have kind of fallen off the wagon and it scares me. I notice that I am hungrier (my first fill is July 8). I am also making poor food choices. I haven't gained any of my weight back YET. I'm not eating as much as I used to be able to eat before I got the band, but more than usual since I have had the band. I keep telling myself that nothing tastes better than thin/healthy, but sometimes it's hard. Has this ever happened to anyone? If it has, how did you get back on track? I hope it's okay that I posted this.:Banane20:

I am in the same boat that you are! My surgery was 5/17, and my first fill isn't until 7/6. I have lost 7 pounds since surgery, and all of that was the first week post-op. The scale has been stuck. I was doing so well with my eating and exercising until this weekend, and then I fell off the wagon, too. I have absolutely no restriction at this point. My doctor told me to eat until I feel full and doesn't want me measuring anything at this point. I know that I am eating a lot less than what I ate several months ago. Yesterday I was at Six Flags with my family, and I gave in to having a chicken strip and a handful of fries as I was starving! Then we went to have pizza for dinner last night, and I had some cheese pizza. I know these weren't the best food choices, but for me to only have 1 chicken strip instead of 5 and 3 small squares instead of half a pizza was a huge improvement for me.

I am back on track today, and while the temptation is there to beat myself up over some poor choices yesterday, I refuse to give in to it. I am trying to keep the big picture in mind, and I know that our fills will be huge in our journey. However, my fill can't get here soon enough! :thumbup:

They call it bandster hell for a reason! Hang in there until your fill. You don't want to undo all your hard work, but you don't want to go crazy either. Like others have said, start with the Protein and after that, just do the best that you can do. A fill or two will change your life, but even with good restriction I can eat french fries--my greatest weakness--no problem. So willpower will always come into play.

Good luck to you. I think this is going to work out for you. Embrace the guilt and let it drive you to the fish aisle!

I was in the EXACT same boat ... that is what is so great about this place - people have been where you are! So don't feel silly asking for help! I was banded on 5/18 and I am waiting for my first fill...Once the "I'm banded...yippee" new wore off, I started eating junk whenever I wanted - never gained weight but stopped losing, which is depressing.

I decided to start fresh. I joined Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com (free) and forced myself to write down every bite I ate. It really started to make me see what I was doing to myself. This might work for you, too!

Also, I have changed my Breakfast routine because I feel like it sets the tone for how I do the rest of the day! Now, I have 1 cup of light chocolate soy milk and one scoop of Protein powder with a few ice cubes shaken or bended. It tastes YUMMY and I can honestly say I've tried a ton of nasty Protein shakes.

Good luck to you! Hang in there, and if you need advice, we are here for you! :thumbup: Here's to our first fills!

you shouldn't be afraid to post anything first of all!

Sounds like you are in bandster hell. Call your doctor and see if your appointment can be moved up a week or two. You can have a fill 4 weeks after banding and you are already there.

I got banded May 1st, and have had the exact same issues as you. No restriction plus bad old habits that are hard to break. I lost 10 lbs right after surgery, and then only 1/2 a lb since then. It was a serious battle of willpower and trying to give up and give in. I didn't make great choices, but was able to NOT gain wt - that, to me, was an accomplishment. And I upped my exercise and lost 2 inches off my waist - my doc was happy. So, I got my first fill last Tuesday and OMG now THIS is what a lapband feels like!! Holy smoke, what a difference. And may I add, not really in a pleasant way. But it sure does make you stop eating. The last few days have been tough. The good news - I'm really not that hungry. :thumbup: Hang in there - you'll get through it!! :Banane20:

Thanks for all the help guys! I had a better day today. I kept thinking of how bad I was feeling about myself for falling off the wagon and that if I continued I was going to gain the weight I lost back which seemed to help. I cannot wait to get my fill. I am scared to death, but I think it will help alot. LapNYC...fish is EXACTLY what I had for dinner today! :thumbup: I have learned to love it cuz it fills me up faster and keeps me fuller longer! Sassy, I may have to try your Protein Shake idea because I have been nauseous in the morning and I'm having trouble eating until noon to oneish. Thank you! Palmtreegirl, we'll get there. All of us will! I get so frustrated when I hear that ppl who have weight loss surgery are taking the "easy way out". I"m still waiting for the easy part of this journey!

Hi! My surgery was June 14, so I'm 11 days postop. I am doing OK right now but I definately worry about the things you describe because oh boy I have always been a very poor eater, and given to very impulsive eating.

Just two pieces of advice- could you call your surgeon and ask if your fill could be done a little sooner? Also, please try to find a bariatric support group in your area.

My surgeon requires that his patients attend a support group twice a month. I really love it and find lots of encouragement there. There's lots of encouragement here as well, and that's great, but "in person" groups add another dimension of support.

I'm still on liquids for one more week. YUK. Living through it one day at a time!!! Best of luck to you!