Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Relationship Break ups

In my final preop support group meeting on the topic of relatipnships. It's being said that post WL Surgery divorce rates are high--even 50%. Thoughts?

I think divorce rates are close to 50% already. I dont think it has anything to do with weight loss surgery.

There is a whole thread on this topic that was started a couple of days ago. Search for it(I'm not sure how to do a link) - I am sure you will find it interesting reading.

My view is to block out the negative things you read. I have a "friend" who called me the day i was out of hospital and preceeded to tell me of all the people she knew that had regained it all. I did not need to hear this. So i just put it down to her own issues and ignored it.

The sad part about your "friend" oz girl is that she is probably jealous of your motivation to lose weight. Getting you down is a way to get you discouraged. I have a "friend" like that too. Sure there are ppl that gain the weight back with this surgery, gastric bypass, and any other diet that's out there. That doesnt mean it's going to happen to you. It is a good idea to not pay attention to the negativity. I'd use it as motivation to do better! I wish all of you lots of luck with your weight loss!

divorce rate are high anyway.

the friend may just be scared or concerned for you. not everyone who says something negative is "jealous" no matter what our moms told us when we were young!

I have read quite a few posts here where women (could be men also), stayed in a not so great/happy marriage before the weight loss because of confidence problems, etc. After they had lost some weight and gained confidence, they did find themselves feeling that there could be something more for them out there.

There is quite a lot on the subject.

This does not only apply to marriage, but also other things in life such as job opportunities, etc.

I'm worried about the surgery affecting my relationship, only because of my depression really. It's been 9 days since the surgery and I don't feel like myself. I cry a lot. I don't want my boyfriend to compliment me. I don't want to make love. I worry about him not eating enough because I can't eat. He's great and patient and supportive, but I keep pushing him away because of how miserable I feel. Some people might not be as understanding as he is, so I can see relationships falling apart during this time,at least during the first few weeks.