Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the happy bandsters?

I would rather run through a car wash naked and get the "hot wax" than give up my band.

You see, this is a support place. Happy people don't seek support, even though they are sorely needed to give it.

The happy ones are out enjoying their new selves. The ones with problems are here, praying for answers.

I'm happy with my band. It is all going according to plan.

If you think I'm not happy with it, just try to take it away.

For 2 weeks after my surgery, I coudln't swallow my own saliva. I had to spit in a cup and have an IV twice to keep from dehydrating. At night, I would aspirate on my saliva, as it came up while I slept. It was the most miserable experience of my life. I vomited over 200 times in those 2 weeks. I asked my doctor if that concerned him, since vomiting causes slipping, and he wasn't concerned.

Now, I have discovered that I have a slipped band. I'm going to have to have surgery again (granted, there's a minute chance it will correct itself and I won't, but I'm not holding my breath), and maybe have to go through the entire experience again. Or maybe it will be better this time.

In 10 months, I've only lost 40 lbs. I paid $16,000 for the surgery, out of my own pocket, because my employer wanted to save a few bucks by signing up for the plan that summarily excluded weight loss surgery.

Am I happy? No, as I sit here and sip from the 8th can of broth I've had in the past 3 days, I'm not happy.

Would I do it again?

Yes.

I've weighed 400 lbs in my life. I'll never do it again. If losing 40 lbs is the only thing this band ever gains me, then it was a good thing to do. If I'd continued down the road I was going, I may have lost my vision, or my feet to diabetes. I may have had a heart attack in 5 years, or 10, or 15. I may still, but I'm doing everything I can to ensure that that doesn't happen.

I hate what's happened with my band, but I love my band, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I LOVED reading everyone's responses. They are so personal, humble, and honest. Whipple Daddy, I couldn't have said it better.........if you don't think I am happy, just try to take it away !!!!!

I was 6 months post op yesterday. I am down 72 pounds. Weight I know I will NEVER gain back. If I never lost another pound, I would still be thrilled with my progress. With any adventure in life, there are hills and valleys. You get through the bad and sail with the good. I can say it's all been good.......

I am now onto the next phase of this journey, and that is supporting my 70 year old Dad through this process. Would I recommend the surgery to him if I thought the risks outweighed the benefits??? NO WAY !

So you see, there are many Happy Bandsters out there. And I am just one of many.

The tough news lately has shaken me, no doubt! I need the support here to move through the emotions of it and deal with it as best I can. I cannot apologize that I haven't been able to summarily dismiss the people who are going through these difficulties, nor the fact that any of this could very easily be my story. I need to deal with it too. Support isn't always about happy joyful sunshiney days. Sorry to dissappoint you. And, yes, I do have a bit of a 'tude! :)

On the other hand, I love my band. I had a rough few weeks post-surgery, similar, but not as dramatic as Jonathans. So, yes, my ears perked easily for myself. The other situations have me concerned about my own band and the way I am losing my weight...slowly. And I'm self-pay with a doc in MX, so I don't have the luxury of insurance benefits to go along with these types of potential problems. It's scary.

I'd do it again. I weigh less than I have in the past 8 years, and with some work, I'll weigh less than I did on my wedding day. I love the hope I have. I love my band.

Should you decide this journey is for you, I would hope that you feel comfortable coming here and spilling your guts about anything and everything related to your band journey; The emotional issues, the money issues, the eating issues, the weight loss issues, the stories of success and wonderful things happening in your life brought on by your band, and, yes, the hard stuff too. Someday you might need the help and I would hope you don't hesitate to ask for it here. Even if others get discouraged or frustrated. It's part of the journey when you are involved n a support group. Online or not. Good luck. I know you and your doc will make the best, most informed decision about your health, and we are here for you.

Hi,

Happy bandster here!!!!

I have no problems, just not enough restriction post plastic surgery for TT and medial thighplasty. I need to do something about it soon, but I have been taking a chill pill on the weight loss for a while.

Babs in TX

334/180/190

-154/-144

Gained ten pounds from quitting smoking!!!!

Hi everyone i have only two weeks banded 11/08/2005. I lost 17.6. I'm very happy with it. I make the surgery in Caracas, Venezuela by dr. Sanchez and dr. Raaz. So keep it up happy bandster.

I'm down 30lbs in 3 months. I am SOOOO happy. Have things been "perfect" no, but things are better. The occassional vomit or PB is just a minor thing in th grand scheme of things.

That is what I needed to hear. It is such an expense and the upkeep afterward in having adjustments, etc. had me wondering if it was going to be worth it after all. It seems it is. I just needed to hear from some people that they are happy with their decision, and it therefore makes mine a lot easier. Thanks.

I would rather run through a car wash naked and get the "hot wax" than give up my band.

ROTFLOL!

That picture in my head is gonna keep me giggling all day!

But now stop with that X-rated stuff please. :)

Count me in as a happy bandster. I'm five months out and I've lost one pound shy of 60 lbs. Oh. My. God. Add to that the break in my cycle of food addiction. I mean, this little band has cured issues I've had all my life and are deeply ingrained. Okay, "cured" may be too strong as I still suffer with the demons dancing in my head, but Katrinka (my band) sure has given me some good distance from my obsessions with food.< /p>

I just got my second fill and it's a skosh too tight so I'm PB'ing a lot. And heck yeah I'm scared with each PB that it will be "the big one". But I don't regret the band for a single moment and I am grateful everyday to have my little friend helping me out.

It's funny, I'm visiting my sister and my brother in law for Turkey Day and my BIL who is a big guy...well...he told me he feels sorry for me. He is sad I can't eat. This is because I'm struggling with being too tight. I told him "don't feel sorry for me! Be happy for me! This is the greatest thing I've ever done for myself!!" He still doesn't get it. To him food = happiness. And that used to be the case for me too. God I love the change in perspective I have from this little stip of silicone!!!!

So add me to the list of very happy bandsters who prays each night for my band to stay safe and strong.

A very happy Bandster here!!! I am almost 6 months out and I have lost just over 60 pounds. Would have never done it with out it. My band is my best friend and we have to work together to stay best friends. Yes I still do things she doesn't like and she lets me know it. They way I see this board is support...I have to know what others are going through so I can try to make sure it doesn't happen to me. When something is going wrong you need support more the ever so this is where we come. So while a happy or even delighted bandster may not start a thread every day there are many of us out there and we are here for everyone wether they want to Celebrate or just let us know how they are feeling....

So my best friend and I are here to say we are VERY HAPPY and I will do it over and over and over again....:)

Hey!

I am VERY happy with my Boy band! *hehe* he has been treating me VERY well..I have only got stuck twice, Tdy at dinner i did very well.. I had surgery 08/10/05 and am down a total of 51.5 lbs..I haven't had any problems except a WHOLE lot of GAS LOL! I wouldn't trade this for the world!

Kristen

Another thread to check out is something like "I love my band and it has changed my life because.........." There were lots of good responses there.

I am very happy with my decision. I am 4 months out, and have lost approx. 40 pounds...sometimes 41, sometimes 37. So, I say 40 because it's a nice round number. I would have eaten myself into a stupor today, and did I miss it? A little. But overall, I was proud of my "brake" for working so hard for me, even when I don't want to.

Something to think about: would you be happy if you did not get the band, and kept up the disappointing cycle of depression, diet, success, failure, repeat?

Good luck with your decision, Cindy

I know it has been a really rough couple weeks around here with all the problems that have been happening...Even the ones with problems are saying the band has changed their lives for the better.

I for one am very happy with my band and if I had it to do over I would do it all again without a doubt!!! Even if I had to lose my band at some point I think I would still be happy with my desicion to be banded. I think I would even be a stronger person for having had my band in the first place.

I think there are lots more happy bandsters than unhappy ones and I am one of the happy ones for sure.