Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery on 05/04/10 and got a 1cc fill about 2 weeks ago. I really don't feel that much of a restriction and haven't had any food get stuck. BUT while I was sitting waiting on my fill I heard all these horror stories about different foods getting stuck...as soon as I left I went and got some pineapple juice and meat tenderizer. This supposedly will help food that stuck get broken up and go down... My QUESTION is...Will I know instantly when food gets stuck? I'm scheduled for a fill this Weds and I'm really scared about having too much restriction. Thanks everyone! :(:unsure:

For me getting stuck was a hard lesson to learn. Either I did not chew well enough, ate too fast, or ate a type of food I can not tolerate with good restriction. For me it is either instant pain or a short while after I eat it is slime or even food and slime being thrown up. VERY HARD LESSON.

You will know, trust me

Yes, you will know. I'm just like HB in that it happens right away or shortly after I've eaten. It usually comes from me eating too fast. I have a problem with this. It has taken me a long time and many hard lessons to make me finally slow down. It just isn't worth the pain/sliming. It doesn't happen very often any more because I'm so careful. But I do avoid green Beans, breads, pastas, and a few other foods now. With some foods I can eat them but very slowly, like steak. But I can eat it. Hope this helps! Best wishes!!!

bread, Pasta and bananas!

My advice, if you are very hungry, drink a Protein shake and wait 10 min so you have the self control to eat slow. Works for me.....

My advice, if you are very hungry, drink a Protein shake and wait 10 min so you have the self control to eat slow. Works for me.....

Great idea! If I am going to get stuck it is usually always on the first few bites, It's like I see food & want to devour it =)

Thanks for the tip!

Chloe-don't panic, and don't be afraid of restriction, it's your friend in weight loss. You will get stuck, we all do eventually and it SUCKS! But live and learn. Typically I know as soon as I do it, but I've had 2 episodes where 45-60 minutes later something kicked my butt...my theory is that whatever I ate "grew" while waiting to pass and was just much for my smaller stomach to take but most of the time you swallow and know almost immediately "oh crap".... Best advice, take it slow. After each fill follow your doc's instructions to a "T" because you don't know which fill is going to be "the fill" that finally makes you tight. Even if you think you're starving start slowly and don't just dive into a steak or something very solid like that.

Good luck!

Isn't it odd which foods get stuck and how different they are for different people? I have a problem, apparently, with hard-boiled eggs...and before you all say take smaller bites...that includes egg salad of all things. I don't use a lot of mayo. don't take big bites, and use a chopper to make the egg small but still I have to be really careful. tuna is OK even with grapes and walnuts, and soft boiled or scrambled eggs are fine. No problem with chicken, pork or even steak. Go figure.

Ok guys, give it to me. What really happens when things get stuck? I haven't been filled yet, but sometimes when I eat thick things too fast I get this sharp pain going up into my chest. Is this getting stuck. Please give me details so I know what to expect.

ok food getting stuck SUCKS...i was adamant that it wasn't going to happen to me...but after this last fill i am at my sweet spot and have leard (the hard way...many times over) that i need to SLOOOOOOOOOW down. For me it really hasn't been too many bites...it's way too fast and YES, you will know RIGHT AWAY....

Here's what else sucks (hey we're being honest here)...when it comes back up! Especially when it doesn't all come up right away. In the past month that has only happend twice that it took awhile for whatever is stuck to fully come back up..and quite a few times in teh past 2 weeks that it's come up right away....tonight has been a difficult one for me....things have been coming up for the last 4 hours....from a TINY wrap....chicken is becoming a NO NO unless it's chicken salad with LOTS of light mayo....

It sucks, it's gross, but you learn from it....or at least you should. But as gross and not fun as it is...bringing it back up is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than suffering to see if it will go down....

And don't bother drinking pineapple juice after you eat...you WILL bring food up if you try to drink ANYTHING.....