Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I really need fills?

Okay, maybe I am jumping the gun a bit here since I am only 17 days post op, but I have been eating just like I would if I could only put the 4oz in with no issues. I am no longer hungry between meals and feel full with the 4oz. I know that as time goes on the feeling of fullness may fade, but as of right now I wouldnt get a fill. My 1st fill appt is scheduled for June 30.

I am down 17 pounds since the morning of surgery and I have been going to the gym since my 2 weeks of restricted activity were up.

Does anyone know if anyone out there lost all the weight and didnt get a fill?

Edited by Buckeye

It seems to me that I've read here in the past of someone (or plural) who had some Fluid put in at the time of surgery and then got to - or at least near - goal without any additional fills. This is very uncommon though. Most people have little to no Fluid in the band at the time of surgery. After all the healing from surgery is done you'll know - because the hunger will come screaming back and try to bowl you over....

Good luck!

Brad

My doctor told me that he had two patients that didn't need any fills. In the beginning, he thought I might be one, too, but it didn't work out that way. I didn't need any fills until I had lost about 40 lbs or so, then I started getting hungrier and able to eat more. I've had regular small fills since then. I never really spent any time in Bandster Hell. I always had some level of restriction, even right after surgery.

Who knows, maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who doesn't need a fill.....

Cindy

Sounds like you are doing great. If your satisfied with small portions and loosing weight I wouldn't get a fill. However, be prepared that you may need fills further down the road. Best wishes!

I look at it this way I paid for the surgery because i needed the help. The surgery came with an unlimited fill or adjustment for two years, if I don't need one for a while i'll wait untill I do need it.

Ive already proved to myself that I need the assistance to keep my weight in control.

How much did you lose before surgery? When you start to lose weight it always comes off the fastest and easiest. I do not feel like I need a fill. I have lost 9 pounds in almost a month...which is two pounds a week. I am eating the right things, not cheating, Im not hungry between meals and I am sticking to a good calorie intake. I just started working out and I dont think I need a fill either, but I have one for Monday and going to go threw with it, it cant hurt.

Im not hungry between meals and I am sticking to a good calorie intake. I just started working out and I dont think I need a fill either, but I have one for Monday and going to go threw with it, it cant hurt.

Please rethink this. If you don't need a fill and get one anyway, you will probably be too tight which CAN hurt.

I had great restriction for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. I thought, "GREAT! I'm on my way." Then the hunger and the cravings returned and I was dying to get my first fill. Well, I got the first fill and a big fat NOTHING! I'm still hungry...even as I type this, I want to snack on something. The good thing is that I experienced the hungerless moments and the fullness after sipping on Soups and I want that back...I just need the right amount of fill and I know I can get it back. I'm scheduled for my second fill at the end of June. Everyone of us is different. Hope you don't need a fill.

Best of Luck

I didn't get a fill until yesterday and I had my surgery on 4/8. The Dr. told me, like he did last time I saw him, that it was up to me. As I was still losing weight, as long as I wasn't too hungry between meals. That is his criteria. I think as long as you aren't hungry and are losing weight, you wouldn't need a fill.

Mary

My doctor scheduled me for a fill 4 weeks out and I postponed it a week. I still had restriction from the surgery. When I went in at 5 weeks we discussed it and he just did 1.5cc as I was not all that hungry. At 9 weeks I got 1cc (this week) and am feeling restriction. Everyone is different.

My doctor suggested thinking about puttin a belt around a balloon so it fits just right. (stomach and band) As you lose it is like letting air solwly out of the ballon and the belt will get loose. My doctor said to just look for a balance between being able to eat, feel comfortable, not being hungry for 5 hours and still losing weight. If you are there, the amount of fill does not matter. If you are not, get a fill.

I have found that eating just lean Proteins and low carb veggies really help me control my hunger. I have some fruit on occasion, but no bread, potatoes, Pasta, rice, or sweets. When I did not have enough fill, however, I did get hungry even with the right foods.

Please rethink this. If you don't need a fill and get one anyway, you will probably be too tight which CAN hurt.

I want to lose more weight. Idk if it will help since I am doing everything right... but the scale is barely moving and im sick of it.

Mr doctor said a few people have been successful without needing a fill. I've lost about 30lbs so far at a month out and I have no fill. I do feel some restriction and maybe that's just from the band. I'm unsure but I'm not complaining.

Also, if you aren't losing weight and you're on whole foods, up your calories. I was at about 600-700 calories a day and I've bumped it up to 800-900 and the scale is moving once again.