Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band and Thyroid disease

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this site, and I'm not even sure if I'm posting a question in the right area! Over the past few weeks I have SERIOUISLY been considering the LAP-BAND® surgery. I feel like once I decided I've had ENOUGH being extremely overweight, this surgery and new way of life is all I can think about! I've been reading up on any information I can find over the past few weeks, however I can not find a definite answer to one important question I have. I was diagonised with Graves Disease, (hyperthyroidism) about six months ago. (I'm one of the lucky 5% that GAINS weight...) I'm taking thyroid medication right now. Also, I was lucky enough to finally confirm I have PCOS. No excuses... but obviously it is extremely hard for me to lose weight!

I'm nervous I won't be approved for the LAP-BAND® since I have a Thyroid disease, which is technically autoimmune.

Was/is anyone out there in the same boat as me? ANY information or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Marie :thumbup:

I have a low thyroid and have been on medication for it for about 7 years now. The only question I was ever asked was what medication I was one.

I don't have a thyroid disease, but I hope that helps.

I am not an expert on Graves, but I had a hyperactive nodule that was treated with radio-iodine. I now take levoxyl daily. It had no impact on my lapband. You'll want to be sure you tell your surgeon. I don't believe the autoimmunity disqualifies you. Are they thinking of giving you radio-iodine treatment, or are you just goung with drug treatment for now? You'll probably need to adjust your dosage more often as you lose weight.

I've been using drug treatment for the past 6 months, still trying to figure out the right dosage. Would like to do all I can to prevent becoming hypothyroid for now....

Thank you guys for the responses!

i have a lapband, was pregnant almost immediately after surgery, and now can finally get started losing... I am on a natural thyroid for hypo [slow] thyroid. They did have to raise my dosage during pregnancy to 2 grains 60mg i/o 1 grain 30mg. You will lose with the combo of medication, lapband, healthy eating, and exercise~ i walk and weightlift. I say go for it!!!

I found out during my pre op testing that i have hypothyroid, and it didnt affect my approval at all. I would think that if you have hyperthyroid and still gain weight that it would be even more reason for you to be approved

Lots of people on this site have thyroid disease, either Grave's or hypothyroidism or thyroid cancer, like myself. It should not interfere in any way with being banded.

I have thyroid disease as well, hoshimotos syndrome, they performed surgery on me june 10th.

I was diagnosed with Graves in 2005. For a while I was a looser with Graves, then it turned and i gained. I was treated with RAI and went total hypo. It has taken years for the synthetic replacement to level off. I gained a bunch my weight post RAI. 40+, which they said shouldn't happen once my thyroid is balanced. If you are gaining with graves and treat it, you will probably gain if you get RAI. Graves sucks either way because you can only treat the symptoms not the disease. So even if you treat the thyroid, you can still get all the wacky autoimmune effects. Like hives, etc. I think if you are healthy, and thyroid is under control, you will be able to get the band. In my opinion, the sooner you start the journey, the better.

Good luck!!!!

Thank you so much everyone for the feedback!! :(