Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost Morivation! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had my surgery in Feb. 09, and so far I've lost 90lbs. But for the past 3 months my weight hasnt changed, i even gain 1-2lbs but lose it eventually! I cant eat small portions anymore, (compare to the 2oz i had in the beggining, but they are not big) and i eat bad stuff, but i just seem to get my motivation back! has someone been through that? if so please help me!!! i am desperate and sad:sad:

I'm in the same boat as you! I lost 102 lbs and was doing great. The last 2 months I can't seem to get back on track. I go up and down the same 2 lbs. I have to go back to the dr in a week and I know I have not lost any weight since the last time I was there. I want to get to my goal but I keep making the wrong food choices. I tell myself each day I will start new and then I mess up by eating something I should not. I don't exercise has much has I did before and I push myself to do a little a few times a week. I hope someone gives you a answer and it can help both of us.

sorry to say that I can't help either of you, because I am in the same place. I was also banded feb. 09. So far i have lost 60lb. and have about 30lbs. to go. For the last 4-5mo. have have lost and gained the same 6lbs. i have just been eating the wrong foods and I can eat a lot more than I should be able to. I have gotten a little motivation from my sister who was bigger than me, but started taking diet pill 3mo. ago and has now lost 40lb, so we are almost the same size. I just can't let her get smaller than me, that's probably not the best attitude to have, but if it gets the weight off, I'll take it. I am going to start walking with her 4days a week starting next week. Good Luck to both of you and I hope someone responds that can help us all.

I don't know about all of you, but the food demons I dealt with pre-band still exist post-band. They don't ever go away. I think the band helps me manage them, but manage them I must. I eat most all foods - there isn't anything that I "can't" eat. But when I eat trigger foods I find myself slipping into a weeks-long-rut... When I find myself losing control like this I have to intensely buckle down to defeat it. Increase exercise - stay away from ALL crappy food. Once it's under control I can then eat all foods sensibly again - until the next tumble off the wagon.

Good luck - be strong!

Brad

I don't have the band yet but my cousin does and she said that for a long time she hit a plateau in her weight where she didn't lose or gain really. She said that she was really okay with this because she had come sooo far already. She did end up losing again and is still losing to this day. She has had the band three years and is currently a size 8. She said that her body just had to catch up with itself and all the changes. Eventhough I can't speak from experience I think you should each be proud of how far you have come thus far and don't lose hope b/c tomorrow is another day to start anew. Have you talked with your surgeons to see if you need a fill?

I was considering writing a similar post. I was banded in April '09 and have lost about 65 lbs. The past two months, I've been going up & down 5-10 lbs. I can't seem to get motivated to eat right. It's like I'm burnt out on dieting but, I really want to get to my goal to lose 20 more lbs. (my ticker is probably wrong). I even joined Weight Watchers to try to get motivation.

I'm thinking about getting another fill but, I think I have pretty good restriction I just keep wanting to eat junk food.

If anyone knows how to get their groovy back, PLEASE

HELP!!!

Dr. Phil talks about reducing your exposure to food. I think this may help some of the previous posters. Don't attend to the food comercials on tv (hopefuly you have tivo lol). Don't keep junk in the house. Whoever you live with doesn't need it either. Have a serious talk with whoever you live with and hopefully gain their support. Going out to eat can be dangerous- your around so many temptation. I don't cook but I would think cooking for others is a tempation, of course one many of you can't get away from. However, you could prepare them the same basic meal you eat, maybe adding a carb (potatoe, Pasta, rice) for them.

Most of all, don't give up. You have made a serious commitment by having the surgery. Now you just have to follow through. Every day is indeed a new day, and an opportunity to eat right and excersise. You all can do it!

When I start to lose perspective, I look at old pictures of myself. I think it's really helpful to see where you've been and where you don't want to return. As for limiting my exposure to foods, that's a tough one. I cook, I love watching the food network, and I live in one of the restaurant capitals of the world :)

Best,

Lauren

If you can eat more than you should and even if you can eat some of the things that most bansters have trouble eating, you need a fill.

I could have written this post. I had surgery in March 09 and am down 98 pounds from my highest. I've lost about 10 pounds in the last 3-4 months. I eat some things I shouldn't, know I don't drink enough Water, and snack occasionally - not out of true hunger, but head hunger. Those demons just don't go away and when I'm stressed it's a struggle to fight those demons.

The problem? I honestly am content where I am for the time being. I have gone from a size 3X to a Large, my health has improved considerably - normal blood pressure and cholesterol, no more sleep apnea, and I feel great! Would I still like to lose more weight? Yes, but to be honest the number on the scale doesn't seem like as big a deal to me now as it did before surgery. I'm sure my surgeon wouldn't be thrilled to hear that.

I have made a lot of changes to my lifestyle and diet, always get my Protein in and don't drink before and after my meals as instructed. The Water intake and head hunger are what I struggle with the most.

I feel I have good restriction at this point, maybe a slight fill when I go back next month to tweak things a bit, but I honestly feel my problem is my simply being comfortable where I am (at least for now). Anyone else experience this?

When I start to lose perspective, I look at old pictures of myself. I think it's really helpful to see where you've been and where you don't want to return. As for limiting my exposure to foods, that's a tough one. I cook, I love watching the food network, and I live in one of the restaurant capitals of the world :thumbup:

Best,

Lauren

I agree with you Lauren!! I'd put a picture of my before on the refrigerator :) and ask youself

"Do I really want go back to this?:eek:" Put one in your purse too.

You've all done so good:thumbup:. I'm going to be banded the 16th. My biggest fear is failing in the long run:sad:.

I know it's going to be tough.

If your problem foods are Carbs or Fats, get them out of the house and stay away from restaurants, tooooo

much temptation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please hang in there, we will be praying for you to regain your motivation:thumbup:

Best of Luck,

CarolD

Thanks for posting this, I need some help too! All good ideas...I am going to look for one of my awful pictures to put on the fridge right after I post this...lol...and I am really going to cut back on the junk I buy for the others in the house, they don't need it either!

When I start to lose perspective, I look at old pictures of myself. I think it's really helpful to see where you've been and where you don't want to return. As for limiting my exposure to foods, that's a tough one. I cook, I love watching the food network, and I live in one of the restaurant capitals of the world :)

Best,

Lauren

Yes! I do this too! I have a laptop in the kitchen and when the screensaver slideshow cycles through some of my pre-band pics I cringe! That is a huge motivator to stay the course.

If you can eat more than you should and even if you can eat some of the things that most bansters have trouble eating, you need a fill.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this... Telling yourself you absolutely can't eat something is about the fastest way to eat that exact something.

Fills need to be managed very carefully. It's not about how little food you can eat or whether you have the ability to potentially overeat. Consider that most people's actual restriction at any given fill level is quite variable by the month, week, day, and sometimes even hour. Morning Vs. Evening is a good example.

If you have your band so tight that you never have the ability to eat any more (or anything) than you absolutely should, then you likely are too calorie restricted. Your body will adjust to a starvation level calorie intake by crashing your metabolism.

Ask this, if a 200 pound man has a maintenance level of 2400 calories, and he only eats 1000 calories every day, will he completely vaporize in a couple years? Of course not, so it's not just about a calorie restriction - it's about managing your metabolism and creating a reasonable calorie deficit through both DIET (Intake) and EXERCISE (Export).

Brad

It's not about how little food you can eat or whether you have the ability to potentially overeat. Yes, that is exactly why I got banded. That is exactly what it's about. The whole point of the band, for me anyway, is so I can not overeat. If I had to rely on willpower there would be no point in going through surgery.

If you have your band so tight that you never have the ability to eat any more (or anything) than you absolutely should, then you likely are too calorie restricted. Your body will adjust to a starvation level calorie intake by crashing your metabolism. Too tight is a different story. I would never tell someone to get so many fills they would be too tight.

Brad

I have only been banded for a little over 2 months so haven't yet experienced this problem but I am already trying to think out and change my attitude toward food and weight loss. I set my goal by thinking back at my past. I (hazily) remember feeling good, pretty, sexy...whatever...at a point on the scale, although I seldom looked at scales at this time. I then added a few pounds, because no matter what I'd like to believe, I'll never be 21 again. But,even then, maintaining this weight was dicey. Like other young women, I skipped meals, went on weekend starvation diets, etc. So that goal may, as an adult, be unrealistic. I say I want to lose 110 lbs but if I ended up losing "only" 90 of them, I think I'd be thrilled. And if I lost 80...probably content and relieved, although I'd have to keep trying. That's now. Reading others' stories and seeing disappointment and frustrations at not reaching a goal or at plateauing, I wonder if in a year I'll be less forgiving of myself. Do we get addicted to dieting and the loss of weight, just like we were addicted to food?