Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why do you need to shrink the liver?

i don't understand the preop liquid diet to shrink the liver. is it too close to the stomach to get the band on unless it's small?

how big are livers anyways?

can someone explane that one to me -

thanks.

When talking about shrinking the liver, it is about shrinking how much fat is around the liver. They have to move around it to place Lap-band and if it is to fatty it can crack and bleed. I have read on here about some who did not follow their instructions and had their surgery postponed because their liver was to fatty! Since the majority of us who need this surgery have a tendency to eat a lot of fat we tend to have fatty livers.

Also if your liver is to big then it will be hard for the doctor to move while he's doing the surgery. The doctor who is doing mine said that he had a patient come in and if she hadn't done the 2 week liquid diet then there would have been no way he could have performed surgery, her liver was that big and he could hardly move it.

Here is a website that gives more details on it:

Best Way - Protein Liver Shrink Diet for Gastric Bypass | eHow.com

Following a liver shrink diet results in a smaller liver. This means that your liver will be more out of the way during the surgical procedure, which is a benefit especially during laparoscopic procedures. A smaller liver can also result in less time being spent under anesthesia, which can lessen the risk of complications. Following a diet before your surgery will help improve your overall health before the surgical procedure. Many overweight people are malnourished. Your presurgical diet will include all the Protein and nutrients you need for maximum health. Losing even 10 or 15 pounds before surgery can help improve your surgical outcome. And finally, you will have to adhere to a strict plan of eating following your surgery. Following the high protein liver shrink diet beforehand gives you and your surgeon valuable insight into how well you will be able to follow your eating plan after surgery.

I just kept reminding myself the better I did on the pre-op diet the easier my recovery would be....

This was an important question that I asked my doctor after reading about it on this forum... his answer? I have never NOT done a surgery because of a fatty liver... in fact, he went on to tell me the pre op diet is given to help you lose some weight (which is helpful for any surgery) but also so I could get used to the post op diet and way of life...

all doctors are different though.... :rolleyes:

I know that all Dr.'s are different, but mine does not require a liquid diet. I did have to lost 10 % of my excess weight before surgery though.

My doctor says the reason is because in overweight people a lot of fatty tissue surrounds the liver. The liver and fatty tissue is right up against the esophagus where they tie the band and the more fat, the more difficult it makes the procedure for the doctor. The low fat Protein diet will shrink the fatty tissue around the liver therefore making it easier for them to maneuver their instruments and properly fit the band.

thanks everyone.

i called the dr office i'm doing it at and she said they don't suggest a specific "diet" for preop just high Protein low fat. a week before

and no going all out on a "last chance brouhaha"