Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

strange-- high cholesterol post op?

Hi all- anyone struggling with high cholesterol? I'm 37 and 2 years ago my cholesterol went absolutely wacky, high. It's always been healthy and low, low prior. It was one of the reasons I did LBS. I'll give it some time. But, it's unnerving.

Now, the docs don't think it's food related, maybe genetic or something wrong... I feel great otherwize. I'm 2+ months post op now and my cholesterol went higher. :o Trigs high too. LDL,HDL sucks?

Some of the shakes I've been doing are supposed to help LOWER it? I added in the oatmeal too. I'm a vegetarian so I have been doing up dairy for Protein. I'm starting a statin today to see if once I get it lowered in 6 weeks and retest, maybe it will stay low. Hopefully I don't get all the icky side effects from the script. I loathe meds. I couldn't find a Red Yeast Rice tablet that would be small enough to take, or I probably might have done that. It too, comes with complications/ side effects.

Exercise, check

Whole Grains, check, check

Vegetables, fruit, check

No greasy, fried foods, red meat, check

Dumbfounded, check.

Have u tried upping your good fats? I have high triglycerides also and they said it genetic because my whole family has it (even the skinny ones) but I noticed that when I was on weight watchers before my surgery it was lower. I try to include 1/2 oz walnuts or almonds for a snack , and also when I eat salad I add 1/4 of a avocado. I also use canola oil with Omega 3 in it and I'll use a teaspoon when I cook. My doctor told me to eat good fats and try to raise my HDL because it was low.

Sounds like you know the right things to do - how to eat etc. It might very well be genetic, I'd hate to be on permanent meds too but at least these days we're able to recognise the risk and act on it, unlike it the past when you might have suddenly had a heart attack at a young age.

I went through all my labs tonight again. Frustrating, yes. Life threatening no. Fixable, lets hope so. I started the script and I will take it for 6 weeks unless I get side effects, (flu like symptoms) then plan b? I also did more research and perhaps I can optimize my thyroid levels more (I don't have one working anymore, post treatment for Graves Disease) specifically my T3's. Although my TSH is in the normal range, the hypothyroid condition can effect Cholesterol. Graves disease has no mercy on me. It's so sneaky! I have a good primary care physician who may consider this factor, since we could not conclude another reason. He's receptive. Our diet does include lots of EVOO, Avo and nuts of all types. You'd think my good cholesterol would be in better shape. It's borderline low.

Thanks for all the support and feedback. I appreciate it.

I went on a low fat/cholesterol diet years ago and guess what happened - my cholesterol went up! That is because cholesterol is something that is naturally produced by your liver and if your body doesn't think you have enough it will produce more!

I completely refuse to take Statins. I hold the view that they are a great big con that drug companies produce in order to make as much money as possible from a huge percentage of the population.Plus they can affect your memory cause joint pain etc.

There are a number of Dr's out there that believe that the high cholesterol thing is a big myth but of course theirs is not the popular view!

I think that maybe I am a bit of a closet rebel. I don't agree with the popular view on lots of things e.g global warming.

So long as I keep my weight within a healthy range and eat a varied , balanced diet I am happy to take my chances without these drugs!

Elcee, I also agree in what you are saying! It wasn't an easy decision for me to take the statins. I've agreed to try short term. If the side effects inhibit exercise I'm stopping them. Thats more important to me.

I typically tend to follow a pretty alternative health pattern- lifestyle. It was alarming that in recent years my results from labs went completely bezerk. I live in an opposite land now!

Thankfully I have good blood pressure and no problems with sugar.

I am not at an ideal weight yet, so thats where my concern is adding to the complications. I'm still 211. Slowly, slow...

I think if my weight wasn't such a factor I'd feel more like I could go without. I'll probably do a liver flush sometime too. Have you heard of those?

You look great though!!!!! Congrats on your successes.

I just got my lab results a couple of weeks ago and my triglycerides are down (and I stopped taking the pills months ago) and my total cholesterol numbers are up a bit, but the ratio is better than it's been in years and my HDL's are way up...they've never been this high.

I think it take ours bodies a while to figure out what's going on then it will settle down.

I do believe in global warming, but as the natural cycle the earth goes through...warm then cold...man may influence some of it, but it's going to do what it's going to do whether we are here or not. It's not a static planet.