Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need your advice and thoughts, banded 3 weeks ago today...

So, I am banded finally. I do this because I can't stand living with diabetes anymore. I got it after pregnancy and it stayed. I lose 9 lbs in two weeks, and now I have moved to mushies. I have been using lose it, and it says I am allowed 1587 calories to lose 1.5 weekly. I have always been under that daily.

I definitely feel the restriction, and I am eating way less than before or desire too.

So I am weighing myself once a week now in the morning, and it says I gained 5 ounces. Now I know most people will think I am being paranoid. My doctor has already changed my insulin a little.

Am I expecting ridiculous results at a consistent 4.5 pounds a week? When I checked the scale, I kind of freaked and am questioning things.

I currently weigh 202 and am 5'5.

I think it's great you are only weighing yourself once a week. Daily flucuations will drive you crazy. Yes, 4.5 pounds a week is too much to expect. General guidelines for bandsters is 1-2 pounds a week. Yes, you may loose more some weeks, but let that be "icing on the cake", not what's expected.

Just looked at your post again, at the beginning says 1.5 at the end 4.5. Is there a typo? 1.5 pounds a week seems reasonable to me. Working out will surely speed weightloss, once you are cleared by your doctor. Best wishes!

I am four weeks out and in the same position. My scale hasn't moved in a week... ugh... I log on sparkpeople and am consistently under in calories and carbs. I can't make sense of it... I am so annoyed I almost went to Wendy's after work thinking screw it I guess it doesn't work (thankfully I talked myself out of it). It actually looks like I have gained back some weight when I look in the mirror UGHHH I have read so many posts saying wait for restriction- but I have some restriction still from surgery and am eating so little I don't see what difference restriction will make.... Hopefully someone has some insight here... I am considering going back on liquids.< /p>

4.5 lbs in a week is unrealistic. As you get fills you will see that it will start working more. The fills give you more restriction to help you feel fuller faster and longer.

I have been banded for almost 2 months now and have been doing great. I did have some issues with my fill 4 weeks ago (lost 4 lbs in 2 days) but was adjusted by taken some Fluid out. I just went in for a 4 week follow up & another adjustment yesterday and lost an additional 4 lbs.

Sometimes this is why people get fustrated, we think the weight should come off more quickly that we would like. Just look at the big picture, your insulin has already been adjusted and will probably continue to the point of hopefully getting off of it totally.:o

I feel your pain. I was banded 5/03/10 and after I lost my initial 10 pounds from the liquid diet I hadn't lost anything for two weeks. I was getting discouraged. My doc said put the scale away. Good for you that you only weigh yourself once a week! I can't do that. lol.. My doc says expect an average of one pound a week. Your weight will fluctuate. I had my first fill yesterday and had to go back on liquids for the day (I thought I'd die I was so hungry).. but this morning I'm down on the scale FINALLY. Yeah... I saw the scale move after two weeks being stuck. I, like you, have reduced my calorie intake from over 3000 calories a day to under 1000 calories a day. I certainly expected to lose weight faster. I track my calories and food on LIVESTRONG. That also tracks carbs, Protein, fats, yadda. Have patience, we didn't get this way overnight... it's not going to come off overnight, either.

Good luck to you and enjoy this journey!

weight.png

I don't think there's anything consistent about weight loss, no matter what you do. We have too any changes going on in our bodies at all times to expect that we will always lose the same amount. I tend to stay the same for a couple of weeks and then I'll lose 4 lbs in 2 days.

Here's what I do to keep from going crazy. I weigh myself most days, but I only log the number it's consistent for a couple of days. Also, whenever I log my weight, I check to see how much weight I've lost since the same day last month. That gives me a better perspective on how much I'm losing on a weekly basis, instead of freaking out over this week's Water weight gain.

I know you are only 3 weeks out, but this process is slow. It will feel like forever if you worry about all of the minor fluctuations.

Cindy

I feel the frustration. I have my first fill next week and am so ready, because the scale isn't moving. My mom and husband say they can tell I have lost weight from here or there, or things like that but the stupid scale is not moving....I am ready for the next step.

I can eat less then I could before, but more than I think I should be able to. It all goes down fairly easily, even foods I know I won't be able to have after the fill (bread etc) and sometimes depending on what I eat (and if I got two protien shakes in that day) I still will get hungry sometimes....