Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about my cruise next week

I was wondering if anyone has advise for me. I was banded 3 months ago but did not have my first fill until this week. I stayed on a liquid diet for two days but when I tried to eat just a little fish today I got so sick. I am now back to the shakes. I will be going on a cruise next week and am worried I will be sick for the whole thing. Should I try and get an unfill?

well are you cruising to eat or relax and have a good time?

if you are taking your tiny bites, chewing well, waiting 30 seconds between bites - not drinking for 30 minutes before or 1 hour after eating

then yes I would call the doc and see if maybe you can get .1 or .2 ccs removed if you can't get any food down

what about yogurt?

chicken?

was the fish breaded or dry in any way?

The fish was cooked perfectly - poached salmon very moist. I did try yogurt tonite and that was fine. I guess I am still learning about this strange thing I had inserted in my gut.

oh the fish sounds yummy!

I always start out with liquids, then add yogurt/applesauce and move to chicken with a tad of mashed potatoes - if that all goes well - then I give myself the go ahead to move forward to other foods.

Hang in there it takes time but you will figure the band out.

I always follow the same diet I did post op but abbreviated. I do Clear Liquids for a full 24 hours before and after a fill, then full liquid for a day or two, then mushies for a day or two then back to soft solids, and full diet as tolerated. I found when I tried to progress too quickly things would get stuck and I would be uncomfortable.

Go backwards for a dayor two then, if you need to, get a slight unfill.

If you can tolerate liquids, I wouldn't get an unfill--I'd ease back into eating very, very gradually.

Chances are, by the time you cruise, the swelling associated with the fill will be gone, and you will have no difficulty.

Worst case scenario, you will have to choose full liquids and soft foods.

(Fish gives me trouble a lot of the time, even when I'm not tight---it may just be something you find you want to avoid until you know how it will affect you now that you're approaching restriction. I don't mean AVOID-avoid; I mean avoid eating at a table in front of a bazillion people, and your cabin isn't within quick dashing distance :thumbup:)

Have a great cruise!

Did you tell your doc that you had a cruise coming up so close to your fill? My surgeon waited until after my planned trip to consider filling me.

There's a lot of good advice on the boards. I hope you will be able to eat comfortably and enjoy your cruise.

Best of luck!