Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cable went out thus no TV = No snacking

Hi All,

Well, a pretty peculiar thing happened last night. My cable went down. I have settled into this BAD habit of watching late night TV and doing a little (a lot) of snacking.

I came to this conclusion last night as I really did not know what to do with myself. I realized this really is a bad habit that I have to break in order to lose that last 30 lbs.

I work from home and usually don't turn my computer off til about 10 or 10:30 at night..then the sneak attack of the munchies starts in.

I'm going to try tonight to not turn the TV on and will let you know how I make out.

I'll take a quick shower, maybe read a little and go to bed.

It is quite common to eat when doing certain things. We snack when we eat TV, we have a cookie when we drink a cup of tea etc. That is why most diets advise changing what you do as well.

If you really want to watch that show but not snack take up something that keeps your hands busy so that you can't snack e.g knitting.

driving home in the car after school has finished is danger time for me. I really cannot quite lose the habit of winding down and relieving tiredness and stress with sugar. I truly can feel it hit my bloodstream like a drug, and it really does calm me.

I find it very hard to drive past the several supermarkets on the 40 minute trip. It is so easy to stop, go in and buy a packet of chocolate biscuits!

For me, its simply a matter of willpower. Most days I avoid it without having to go to such measures as leaving my wallet at home! But yes, its a very strong association, almost automatic.

Thanks Elcee and Jachut for your input.

I really think it is stress-related and a way for me to unwind.

I read a great book years ago that delt with "recreational" eating. Can't remember the name, darn it.