Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you get a Tube down your throat ?

When getting the surgery Will you get gassed or a tube ? i have a fear of tubes in my throat, and that is the only thing stopping me. i can do the 2 week pre-op diet. What all happens when getting preped for surgery and afterwards how long u stay in the hospital?

Anyone loose weight during pre-op diet?

And I heard you have to be on a 9 month diet before they will consider you to have the surgery.

I dont' know if it's surgeon specific or not, but I was given a shot through the IV to put me at ease and then given gas to go to sleep. I was tubed but I only know that because the told me. Don't worry. A little horse for a day and that's it. It never happens while you're awake. I did not have to spend the night. Arrived at admitting at 7:30 AM, asleep by 10:45, awake by noon, out by 1:30. I did lose a little weight under pre-op diet, but I've never heard of a nine month diet pre-op.

Trust me, the pre-op diet is a helluva lot tougher than the surgery itself! Don't let your doubts and fears control the fact that you can have a new life.

Yes, you will be intubated, but you really won't know. I didn't even have a sore throat when I woke up. I'm afraid of that too, but it's so worth it to have the band.

The longest I've heard of is six months for weight loss before being approved. .

Edited by serenity55

You are under general anesthesia for the surgery, so you16 will be intubated, but just like everyone else said, you want know it. My surgery was 10 days ago, and I got the IV in pre-op and then went to the O.R. got on the table and they told me to have a nice dream, put the mask on me and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. I did not have a sore throat, or have to stay overnight. I was in at 7:00am and leaving by 11:00.

I did lose 16 pounds on my 2 week pre-op diet! My insurance did not require a supervised diet of any length, you just have to have the BMI to qualify. The longest I have head of is 6 month's.

Don't let the surgery itself scare you off...it is the easy part! I don't have any regrets:smile2:

When getting the surgery Will you get gassed or a tube ? i have a fear of tubes in my throat, and that is the only thing stopping me. i can do the 2 week pre-op diet. What all happens when getting preped for surgery and afterwards how long u stay in the hospital?

Anyone loose weight during pre-op diet?

And I heard you have to be on a 9 month diet before they will consider you to have the surgery.

You will be intubated. It was my biggest fear also. I can honestly tell you I had two surgeries the year I was banded and I don't have any recollection of the tube, and I also escaped without the sore throat. In the vast majority of cases, people don't even know about the tube. Many, however, do have a slight sore throat from it for a day or two.

As far as the required diet, pre-op is decided by your surgeon, but the required "supervised" would be a decision that is made by your insurance company. I didn't have to do one, but I think many do.

Like previous posters, I had a tube in my throat also...but had no clue! They place it AFTER you're knocked out and get it out before you come to. Minus a little sore throat, I had no clue!

Don't less this be the barrier from getting lapband! Believe me, the good far outweighs the bad!

You asked what the prep for surgery involves. When I got to the hospital, there was a bit of information-gathering. My nurse had actually phoned me a few days before I was admitted and taken my history---I was impressed that the same person was assigned to me in the hospital. After that, I changed clothes, removed jewelry, and went to the bathroom. An IV was started. Through the IV, I was given prophylactic antibiotics. I was given an oral antacid and an antihistamine, as well. The latter made me a bit drowsy.

When I got to the OR, they moved me to the table with a nifty hovercraft-like thing that made it effortless for all involved. Then they stealth-anesthetized me. When I say "stealth," I mean that there was no major build-up to it---no, "I'm going to give you this medication now" or "Count backwards from 10." I was awake---and BAM! I was out.

Yes, I was intubated. You will be, too.

The anesthesia used was light enough that I emerged very easily and quickly. I was still intubated at that time, but of course the anesthesiologist was right there--and as soon as he was aware that I was aware, I was given a tiny bit of sedation and the tube was removed.

This is pretty much the worst case scenario, and I can assure you that it was no biggie at all. It was a fleeting sense of, "hey, this thing is still in me!" and then it was addressed. There was no pain, no struggle, no nothing---just appropriate action to keep me safe and comfortable.

In the recovery room, there is a nurse present at all times. If you are too cold, you will be given warmed blankets. If your throat is dry, you will be given ice chips or Water. If you are in pain, you will be given pain medication.

Every effort will be made to keep you as comfortable as possible--and that includes emotionally. If you're frightened, they will address that, too--both before and after surgery.

Please don't let fear of intubation hold you back. You won't be aware of the tube's placement (you will already be under anesthesia)---and even if the very worst happens and you do develop awareness of it as you emerge from anesthesia, it's not scary. It's just sort of momentarily gaggy---and then BAM! It's all better.

I was kept in the hospital overnight; my surgeon and insurance require this. Once I got to my room, I felt pretty good. I did accept pain meds when they were offered---they helped me feel good enough to get up and walking right away. THAT is what helps the most!

I had a nice night of not having to worry about whether my cats, dog, or son would bump my belly---and this little bit of time gave me the opportunity to gain my bearings a bit. By the time I went home, I felt pretty darn close to normal, albeit sore. There is pain--but it is very manageable. Compared to other surgeries and procedures I've had, this was by far the easiest.

I got my lapband done 10/7/09, and I did not have a tube. I was nervous about that too, and actually asked before my surgery. I did have an oxygen mask, but no tube.:thumbup: