Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is Monday May 17th @ 8:30am (I might back out)

My surgery is this Monday May 17th @ 8:30am I can not express enough how terrified I am of being put to sleep. That is my MAIN problem here!! I fear that I might now wake up or something might go wrong while I am asleep IE stop breathing or heart stop!! I have asked several people this week even ones that are not lap band patients about being put to sleep and they all tell me that it will be just fine...... I am still however crying...... Maybe I should just back out and lose weight the natural way..... I have tried and failed so many times..... and now with all these new health problems I have ..... Sleep Apnea, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Borderline diabetic, Acid Reflux...etc. I don't know how I am going to manage doing it naturally!! I am so torn and my surgery is practically here. My mother tells me I am getting on that table weather I like it or not.... she says she does not want to lose her daughter at age 28 from health issues.... I on the other hand DO NOT want to lose my life from being put to sleep!! SERIOUSLY I need a lot of prayers and some guidance on this one guys.......... I am a NERVOUS wreck who need to get it together........ FAST!!!!:w00t::confused::laugh::frown::frown:

This may sound cold hearted but I decided I would rather die in surgery than be obese any longer. That decision really settled my mind. I got my will in order, told everyone everything I needed to, closed my eyes and jumped! Good luck with your decision.

good lord sweetie--they make a pill for that!

tell your doc that you have anxiety and they will give you a nice little med that will make your fears go away. Also ask for anti nausua meds before hand and you will be fine.

I have had 9 surgeries and all turn out fine. You don't fall asleep like in your bed...it's more like an instant out and then you wake up.

It will be so worth it...we promise you. YOU CAN DO THIS!

Big hugs!!

The risks of continued obesity, with the comorbidities you describe, is far, far, far greater than the risk of being under anesthesia for 30-45 minutes.

If you've never had anesthesia, the notion is scary. But in reality, it's not. You go to sleep--and you wake up. Simple as that. You may be groggy, or shivery/cold, or in pain---but there will be a nurse right there with you at all times to address your needs and make sure you are safe and comfortable.

You've tried to lose weight "the natural way" before. It hasn't worked. Your very life is at stake with the obesity-related diseases you've listed.

You have a way to CURE those problems--to make them go away permanently. Don't let fear of the unknown hold you back.

I know it is scarry the first time, but you will be fine. Focus on the prize!

I had my surgery April 7. I can't believe how different trying to control what I eat has been since the band. I was lucky enough to get some restriction with the surgery and have had my first fill now. My hunger is SO MUCH LESS. Even if you don't get the real early restriction, you will get it eventually and you won't believe the difference!

I also have apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis, reflux. I have only been banded five weeks and my fasting blood sugar has dropped from 150 ON meds to 125 OFF meds. My blood pressure has dropped from 128/85 on meds to 110/60! I will have to see my doc about reducing those meds soon. I feel so much better and I can't even imagine what it will feel like to lose down to a normal weight!

Don't back out because of fear of surgery. It will be fine! It was minimal pain and discomfort afterwards. I don't remember anything between the nurse taking my BP and putting on my TED hose and getting home with my husband.

It is SOOOOOOO worth it! Just hold your nose and JUMP!

Hi Dreams - I was banded yesterday, and also had some problems with being apprehensive. I am still kinda scared that this wont work. However, like Leigha, I decided I would rather die than keep on trying to live with the pain and disease from this horrible extra weight. I backed out last August, partly because of this fear. You have to do what is right for you, so good luck with your decision....I'm relying on the advise and well wishes of those here who have gone before me to help me through.

oh no please don't think that, you will wake up, all of us have woken up and we're here alive and losing weight. Ask God to help you and be with you at your side all the way. Breath in and breathe out and pray all the way. Goodluck and Godbless.

Ask your doctor about the anesthesia. I was told it is as light as they can make it and they monitor you at all times...the anesthesiologist will be at your head monitoring you and controlling the drug. He'll talk to you before the surgery. Are you going to a hospital or surgery center? I did the latter...they are amazing! Be brave - the success rate of these operations is astonishing. You have a better chance of getting hit in the head by a meteorite than anythng happening to you during this operation.

You are monitored the entire time you are under anesthesia, You have your surgeon, possibly an assistant surgeon, and the anestheologist (who is a doctor or nurse practitioner) and several nurses ALL taking care of you and monitoring everything. You do have to put your trust in them for that time period, but as a nurse I KNEW that they were professionals and knew what they were doing. My biggest fear was that "loss of control", but every person on my surgical team was so nice, and caring and professional, I knew everything would be fine. Try to focus on the posistive......and not stress yourself out. On a side note, I for one was having my own second thoughts about 2 weeks before the surgery....I think that is very common as well. We are all here for you...just like your dear loving Mom!

Edited by stargate713

My surgery is this Monday May 17th @ 8:30am I can not express enough how terrified I am of being put to sleep. That is my MAIN problem here!! I fear that I might now wake up or something might go wrong while I am asleep IE stop breathing or heart stop!! I have asked several people this week even ones that are not LAP-BAND® patients about being put to sleep and they all tell me that it will be just fine...... I am still however crying...... Maybe I should just back out and lose weight the natural way..... I have tried and failed so many times..... and now with all these new health problems I have ..... Sleep Apnea, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Borderline diabetic, Acid Reflux...etc. I don't know how I am going to manage doing it naturally!! I am so torn and my surgery is practically here. My mother tells me I am getting on that table weather I like it or not.... she says she does not want to lose her daughter at age 28 from health issues.... I on the other hand DO NOT want to lose my life from being put to sleep!! SERIOUSLY I need a lot of prayers and some guidance on this one guys.......... I am a NERVOUS wreck who need to get it together.Ot ....... FAST!!!!:redface::confused::smile2::frown::lol:

It will be ok you are just nervious it will be over before you know it if they didn't think they could put you to sleep safely and wake you up they would tell you. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you do it now before its to late. They will give you something to help you relax just I will be praying for you. Let us know how you do . Hang in there you will have so much fun when you lose some of your weight it will not alway be easy but i will be worth it.

I have been thru 3 surgeries and i must say it seemed as if I was only out for a minute each time. You fall asleep and wake up. All 3 times I actually felt great after, as if I had a good night sleep. I think you need to trust in yourself, your Dr's, and your family! Good luck! BTW, my surgery date is the 25th, pending my insurance clearance.

God Bless you, I know exactly how you are feeling. I was very scared to follow through with this surgery also. However, i have the same co-morbidity and more. I have been on blood-thinners for last 5 years and gained over 80 lbs in 3yrs being sedentary. I have always been overweight so that just added fuel to the fire. I had my surgery on May 4, 2010.

I too, have a major fear of anesthesia. When they had to do an emergency hysterectomy, I almost did not "wake up" my heart went into A-Fib. That was only 4 years ago and feels like yesterday.

So here I am today to tell you honestly, it is not cake walk, but I am here, alive and ultimately thrilled to have this part of my journey in the past. The best part now, almost two weeks out, is that I cant "take it off," or anything else that is out there on the market for weight loss, I have a tendency of starting and quitting. This is a new life tool that I have already seen the benefits of. My blood pressure is down to almost normal range. :smile2: I have been fighting with that since I was in High School over 25 years. Bad on the heart. I am starting to see the difference and weight loss in my face.

So tomorrow, with all of the support of us here and the support of your family, make your choice that is best for you. Best Wishes :redface:

Cindy

God Bless you, I know exactly how you are feeling. I was very scared to follow through with this surgery also. However, i have the same co-morbidity and more. I have been on blood-thinners for last 5 years and gained over 80 lbs in 3yrs being sedentary. I have always been overweight so that just added fuel to the fire. I had my surgery on May 4, 2010.

I too, have a major fear of anesthesia. When they had to do an emergency hysterectomy, I almost did not "wake up" my heart went into A-Fib. That was only 4 years ago and feels like yesterday.

So here I am today to tell you honestly, it is not cake walk, but I am here, alive and ultimately thrilled to have this part of my journey in the past. The best part now, almost two weeks out, is that I cant "take it off," or quit anything else that is out there on the market for weight loss, I have a tendency of starting and quitting. This is a new life tool that I have already seen the benefits of. My blood pressure is down to almost normal range. :smile2: I have been fighting with that since I was in High School over 25 years. Bad on the heart. I am starting to see the difference and weight loss in my face.

So tomorrow, with all of the support of us here and the support of your family, make your choice that is best for you. Best Wishes :redface:

Cindy

I agree with everyone else. I too was really apprehensive about general anesthesia, having never had it done before. However, 3 weeks ago I went in for another procedure that required general. I remember the mask on my face, and the next thing I knew I was in a completely different area of the hospital, sitting up. And I felt like a MILLION DOLLARS. As a mom, I never, ever get solid sleep, and I literally felt as if I had been to a spa. I had tons of energy only an hour or two after waking up. Quite remarkable, really. I am being banded Monday along with you, and I am looking forward to my next 'nap' !!! It was really quite great.

Once again after reading your responses I am crying! I am trying to get my mind ready but I am so scared!! I just keep thinking about the what ifs?? I am less tha 24 hours away and I am still thinking about the what ifs..... as tears roll down my face.... I don't want to die tomorrow morning!!!!!