Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PBing on everything! Please read this!

I had a fill on Oct 5th and last week I started feel really, really restricted. I can hardly eat at all and can only drink coffee or something warm like broth. I keep trying though, thinking that something will stay down. Last weekend I ate some steak and potatos and it stayed down pretty well. I also ate half of a chicken breast and about 2 spoons of stove top. The stove top wasn't a good idea. I have tried Soup, it comes back up, chili, same thing. Even tuna came back up. It was grilled rare and was very soft. A fill could not wait for a month to kick in and make me overfilled right? I was fine with this fill for 4 weeks and then all of a sudden, PROBLEMS. Could I just be swollen from all of the PB's? Has this experience ever happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do? Go on liquids for a while? Even with not being able to eat I have only lost about 3 lbs. I tried Protein powder yesterday and took 2 sips and it started coming back up. I find it hard to believe that I am overfilled because I was ok for 4 weeks.

I hope I can get the responses on this because I changed my email address and I also changed it in this system, but I never get emails letting me know I have a response.

Any answers will be appreciated.

Yes. a Fill often waits a few weeks to make itself known. It's very common.

Secondly, if you are pb'ing, you most definitely may have esophageal irritation which perpetuates a sort of vicious cycle.

You probably definitely need to contact your doc. Maybe go on liquids. Maybe ask for some carafate to help with esophageal healing and even possibly get a bit of an unfill. The band is not meant to be TOO tight and you should be able to eat without the ongoing problems.

Good luck!

Thanks Letha,

I did place a call to the doctor. It's just so weird because I was able to eat just fine and then it's like total restriction. I hesitate to get an unfill because they put so little in the last time. I got a fill and unfill on the same day. This is the tricky part!

I spoke to the doctor an he wants me to stay on liquids this weekend and come by to see him on Monday.

That makes good sense to me as well. I've had fills "kick in" a good month afterward myself. Who knows why? Hormones, Water, stress, whatever. The reason it happens doesn't matter but it has to be handled once it does.

Really stay on liquids this weekend, Angie. I'll bet by Monday evening you'll be feeling better and able to tolerate very small, well-chewed portions of food. Take it slow. Good luck!!

Sometimes it does wait, what I feel is the culprit of this is when I get comfortable with my fill and overdo it. I will start PBing and then keep trying to get things down and just upset my esophagus more. When I do this to myself I stick to liquids for 3 days and then mushies and then back to real food again to let my esophagus rest and heal from what I've put it through. This usually works for me and makes me remember what I should be eating and how. Let it rest so it is not enflamed and swollen and if that doesn't work after 3 days, call your doc! I hope this helps.

Please, follow your doctors orders and DO NOT be hesitant about a bit of an unfill. Yes, restriction can definitely kick in later and for who knows what reason. Pat is right....an overfill is worse than not enough restriction. Overfill can lead to serious problems if not taken care of. Take care.

How can you tell for sure that you have an overfill? I am feeling really rauchy but I want to wait at least awhile for the swelling to go down.... I felt find in the office - but now - 5 hours later - it is a totally different story. Pain, reflux, can't even really drink Water - only a few sips of warm tea. I have never had this trouble with a fill. Is there a chance that my congestion (light cold) is related to my misery?

yes your fill can get tighter, but its more likely that after the PBs your tum is swollen and needs to cool down

whenever I pb I go onto Soup for a couple of days to give it a chance, or I just keep on pb ing

good luck awwww

Once again I am in the same cycle. I got a fill in January and for the past 2 weeks I can hardly eat. The good part is that I am actually loosing weight. I have been on liquids for 3 days and just tried to eat a slim fast Meal Replacement bar and it got stuck. I DO NOT want to get another unfill because I am going through a vicious cycle of fills and unfills and not loosing weight. I am at 162 today and I had gotten up to 172 at my last fill appointment. Is anyone else having issues where you can eat just fine then all of a sudden you can't eat a thing. I can still drink coffee, but give me Water and I am closed up tight as a drum! Maybe this is how it's supposed to be and those who are successful just live with it this way:noidea:.

yes, I had a fill in dec and it made no difference, so went back in feb and it made not much difference. this past week so -about 3 weeks later-the band has tightened a LOT and I can hardly eat a thing and the weight is moving brilliantly.

Im happy with that, as I dont want to be able to eat allsorts at the moment, im happy with Soup and mush while the weight is coming off, I know I cant have it all ways, I have a slimfast milk shake every day to keep the Vitamin etc levels up while im living on not a lot

it can take a bit of finess to find the right fill spot, but I know you are not going to like hearing this. You NEED AN UNFILL. as much as .1 ccs can make a big difference, and you might find that a small unfill is what you need.

And NO you are not supposed to be "tight as a drum." As Jessie likes to say, the band is NOT surgically induced bulimia!

Please have your fat free body mass measured. It might help you with your journey.

Besides being unhealthy nutrionally, won't staying this tight run the risk of slippage or even erosion?? Geesh, ladies. Don't settle for the extreme and possibly end up with no band at all. Like Vines said, get UNFILLED. Even a little can make a big difference. Don't sit there starving yourselves and ruining your band life. Your weight loss will only be temporary and the damage you could do to your bodies long term.

Okay, This is weird. Thanks for your answers by the way. I tried having Soup for lunch and the first bite came right back up. I had some leftover turkey breast that was very moist. I thought I would take a bite and see what happens. Believe it or not...I was able to eat about 2 oz of turkey and it is staying down. How can this be. liquid comes back up yet turkey stayed down? I am so confused:eek: Well, I know my nutritionist said that soup is not a band food but I was trying to give my band a rest and thought liquid was the way to go. Maybe not. I am still going to take it slow. I usually can't eat in the morning or at night lately. I really don't want and unfill but if it continues then I'll go get one. I have been at almost every fill level and thought 1.5 was my sweet spot. At 1.4 I was too loose. Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it!