Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just how hard is the pre op diet?????

Im starting to really think about things a bit more clearly now, instead of just being preoccupied with the surgery iv been thinking about the pre op diet, i am someone who hates milk/milkshakes and all those types of things anything creamy like that is a big no no for me but with the surgery comes great responsibility so im aware that im going to have to make big changes to my diet.

I have been thinking about how my body will adjust to liquids and no food and im worried that il spend 14 days soooo hungry, how hard is it to stay on liquids 4 2 weeks?

I don't know. I was allowed to eat veggies and one healthy meal a day on my pre op diet. I have to admit I cheated a few times. But I wouldn't recommend doing that as I've heard stories that it could mess up your surgery. Luckily it didn't for me, but I also didn't eat high fat foods. My problem was always the amount of food I'd eat. My advice is to take it a day at a time. Ask your doctor what you can eat if you can't stay on liquids only. Maybe you can have low fat food, such as veggies.

It's like any other diet. While you're on it, you'll want to eat other things, and you'll tell yourself no.

It's just a couple of weeks---it's not the most fun in the world, but it is eminently do-able.

Do you know, for certain, that your doctor requires all-liquids? (Or even a preop diet at all?) Not all doctors do. I had 2 shakes a day, and a meal consisting of lean Protein and nonstarchy veggies.

Have a talk with your doctor to find out his/her preop AND POSTOP requirements. Mine did not, but many require liquids for a fairly long time after surgery, too.

I'm on day 6 of my pre-op diet and it’s really not as bad as I thought it would be. My biggest issues is that I don't really have a sweet tooth, so it has been “different” essentially drinking chocolate milk all the time, but my dr. allows a small amount of certain plain vegetables which helps a little. I also found a shake I like (Carnation Instant Breakfastsugar free Ready to Drink) which helps.

I agree with BestyB about checking in on the exact requiredments cuz its different evereywhere. My doc also allows a little bit of low sodium broth which has helped a little at night.

I really have just kept myself busy and stayed away from restaurants and people eating as much as I can (although at work is can't be avoided).

i don't think it will be has hard has we think it will be .. I am on my 3rd day .. i had my surgery may 10 th and doing real good . sofar.. i am drinking chicking broth and beef broth three times a day and Fiber drinks sipping on all day .. i think i should be drinking more but i can not hold it . i feel full .. 1/2 of a pop-cyle is a snack .and suger free Jello.< /span>

I am 2 wks Post-op now . A friend just asked me what the hardest part of this has been. Without hesitation, I answered. For me it was the 2 wk. Pre-op diet! I was hungry and grouchy all the time. I just kept reminding myself why I was doing this. I also spent alot of time here. The encouragment from other people really helped. It also helped to read post from other people going through the exact samething. I made my protien shakes with diffrent flavors of crystal light. This helped me with the milky taste. Good Luck!

I'm not going to sugar coat it- it sucked! Day one, you're almost excited to try it, to try something different. Day 3, the caffeine withdrawl headaches hit (so if you have the time/will to slowly get off caffeine, do it before then!). Day 5, it seems like it will never end. I was so sick of broth. I was then told we could use the flavor pouches from Ramen noodles to make broth, and that made a world of difference. It opened up new flavors other than chicken and beef.

I hated the Protein shakes on day one. By day 8, I loved them, as they were much more filling than broth. I also came to love crystal lite fruit punch drink mix (beware that drinking too much will give you pink poop).

In all honesty, though, it was just temporary. On surgery day, you'll look back and think to yourself that it wasn't all that bad.

when i told my surgeon that i was concerned about the pre-op diet, he said instead of doing all liquids -- i could eat a light dinner of chicken and non-starch veggies. i am getting banded on 6/28 and to prepare for that, i am already replacing one meal a day with 'muscle milk light' and eliminating bread, rice, Pasta (bad carbs) etc. i figure this will ease me into the period right before surgery. i started this plan on monday and according to my scale, i am already down 3 lbs. this is definitely doable!

The first day I thought I would never make it! Then it got easier. About day 5 for me I wasnt hungry at all and I now have to force myself to eat. It seems like im the only one with this problem, so dont look forward to that. lol

The only good thing about this diet is that I am down 16 pounds in 11 days.

I also got to eat 2 cups of veggies (with no fat). The first 3 days were hard, but after that, as I saw the weight come flying off, it wasn't that bad. You do get sick of the Protein Shakes, so, find some you like and mix it up. Don't drink only one flavor the entire 2 weeks. When I did it Slimfast was just coming back on the market, so the choices were chocolate or vanilla. Now there are more flavors. Good luck, the time will go by before you know it!

wow 16lbs is awsome congrats! woo hooo that gets me excited the fact that you can actually see results for all your hard work, can you actually see the weight loss do you think you look smaller?

I have just started my 3 months of the supervised diet. When the nutritionist went over with me what would be on the liquid diet, things like pudding and applesauce and fruit chillers were included.

I'm trying to wean myself off of drinking with meals. I've dieted a thousand times before so even though I'm a little hungrier right now, I've been through it before. Right now my biggest challenge is not drinking when I eat. I'm trying to wean myself from it and right now I can do 15 minutes after I eat until I get a sip of something to drink. In fact, I set the timer. I've got three months to get it up to an hour, but this seems like a more daunting task than anything else.:w00t:

wow 16lbs is awsome congrats! woo hooo that gets me excited the fact that you can actually see results for all your hard work, can you actually see the weight loss do you think you look smaller?

Well i have lost 31 pounds since the end of January when I started my 3 month diet. I can notice in my face that I lost weight and my pants fit better now, but other then that no no difference :-(... I cant wait to be banded and start losing enough where its obvious that I lost the weight!

I'm coming to the end of my pre-op diet, with surgery Wednesday. The pre-op diet is not a cakewalk, but there are advantages to it. I've lost weight, I feel more agile, my sleep has been better, and I just generally feel healthier. Probably most important, I feel like I've started my journey and that I'm not only in better condition for surgery but I'll be ready for life after surgery.

That said, I've also been low energy at times (especially the first couple days), I've been grumpy, and I've had to deal with the emotional side of hunger. It's hard to smell good food, to be around people eating it, even to watch food programs on tv! As a person who has used food to calm and comfort (and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone here!) I feel a bit sometimes like I've lost a friend.

So it's not easy, but it's got advantages and you can take some steps to make it better:

• Put yourself in the best possible situation to succeed: stock up on shakes, Protein bars, veggies (if allowed), sugar-free popsicles, broth, etc, and make sure you don't go too long between meals. In other works, PREPARE. Don't be caught off guard without a shake or Meal Replacement handy.
  • When you get cravings, or think about cheating, visit the site often and ask for support, call a friend, or listen to a meditation tape (you can find these free online, they really work). On a couple of nights I've literally just gone to bed early and thanks to being a bit lethargic I've been able to sleep. Believe me, in the morning you'll feel great and less hungry than when you went to sleep.
  • If possible, try to avoid situations where others are eating comfort foods around you - restaurants, big family dinners, bbqs, etc. I was on a business trip last week and the most difficult times were when I had to be in restaurants and not eating.
  • Remember why you're doing it. I've read this advice before and it seems kind of weak when you're hungry and angry or sad and just feeling like crap. But literally tell yourself why you are doing this - write yourself a note to read, or repeat a mantra, whatever it takes to get you out of your immediate headspace and able to see the larger picture. It works.

Hope that's helpful! You probably won't be perfect, but do your best and you'll be fine!

I have to be on a 6 month supervised diet, but due to an insurance issue, I will be stretching it out to 8 months. My diet is more of a practice diet to learn how to eat after being banded, not so much calorie counting and weight loss, but I should be losing something if I follow the guidelines, and am exersizing.

I have strated replacing Breakfast or lunch with a Protein shake, and that hasn't been too difficult. What I find most difficult is trying to eat slower, and taking smaller bites, and chew chew chewing! Drinking at meals isn't bad at all for me.

Anyway... you said that you don't want to be drinking milky, creamy things, you can try Syntrax nectar Protein drinks. They have fruity flavored ones. I personally don't like them, but you may. You can get a sample pack at bariatricpantry.com that comes with 11 single serving packets for 15 dollars.

Good luck to you! Just remember that this is only temporary and that it is starting you out on the best journey of your life!