Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for those with PCOS

I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago and was told at that time to try a diabetic diet. I tried it but it didn't make much of a difference..maybe 5 lbs. So, I went on the Atkin's induction phase for 6 months and lost 30 lbs. within the first 3 months but didn't lose another pound the following 3 months. Of course, after I went off of Atkin's I gained the 30lbs. back...and then some. I've read that because of PCOS, some women will experience a plateau and won't lose any more weight. However, with the band, you can and will lose weight.

Now, while I completely understand the syndrome, it doesn't logically make sense that just by restricting my caloric intake with help from the band, I will lose weight.

Anyone else have questions about the logic in this scenario?

I have PCOS too - I wondered about the surgery, and if it would help me to loose, especially since, I was never able to loose much of anything before. Well, I'm happy to report that I was able to lose around 30 pounds so far! I'm as thrilled as can be. I have reached a stand still now, mostly because I haven't got restriction - just got home from my 3rd fill! So all in all, I'm amazed and thrilled.

I do take metformin, and continue to take it after my surgery. It is mostly for regulating my periods more than anything else.....but it supposedly helps place girls like us with PCOS on a more level playing field with everyone else....

Hope this helps!

Amy

I'm not questioning whether or not I'll lose weight because I have lost 26 lbs. in 2 months. I'm just curious as to how this logic works.

It is interesting you should post this. I understand there are a few debates going on about this very subject at the moment.

PCOS does not make it totally impossable to lose weight. It just makes it harder. Like Amy said, meds (regulating insulin, and hormones) put us on a level playing feild with non PCOSers. It may take longer than the "average" (and what is average, or normal anyway??) person, but it can be done. There are more than a few on www.soulcysters.net who have lost weight (Including Kat Carney owner and founder of SoulCysters)

Diets have a nasty habbit of failing because by their nature they are designed to be temporary (Diet finishes, you go back to old habbits, or you fail to see results, and give up ect). Where the band is a huge plus, is that it involves a total lifestyle change (that said there are people out there who do not change their lifestyle, and do not lose weight)

But at the end of the day, no matter what medical conditions you may or may not have, losing weight comes down to energy in vs energy out. :)

It is interesting you should post this. I understand there are a few debates going on about this very subject at the moment.

PCOS does not make it totally impossable to lose weight. It just makes it harder. Like Amy said, meds (regulating insulin, and hormones) put us on a level playing feild with non PCOSers. It may take longer than the "average" (and what is average, or normal anyway??) person, but it can be done. There are more than a few on www.soulcysters.net who have lost weight (Including Kat Carney owner and founder of SoulCysters)

Diets have a nasty habbit of failing because by their nature they are designed to be temporary (Diet finishes, you go back to old habbits, or you fail to see results, and give up ect). Where the band is a huge plus, is that it involves a total lifestyle change (that said there are people out there who do not change their lifestyle, and do not lose weight)

But at the end of the day, no matter what medical conditions you may or may not have, losing weight comes down to energy in vs energy out. :)

I completely understand the concept behind your post concerning lifestyle changes, etc. However, I've done that in the past and took Glucophage yet I still hit that plateau and didn't lose another pound regardless of what I was doing. As my doctor explained to me, some women with PCOS just can't lose the weight without the aid of the band or gastric bypass.

It just seems that the logic is still flawed because I'm not changing my eating habits that much except for eating significantly less.

My husband seems to think that after time, decreasing your caloric intake to 800-1000 per day, your stomach would naturally shrink and you would get used to it. Although it seems reasonable, I'm not sure that I agree with that theory. I do know that prior to having the band placed, had I tried to sustain myself on 800-1000 calories per day, I would have ended up with severe headaches and would still have had the typical cravings of someone with PCOS.

With that said, thank goodness for the band!

Guest j. lynn

I have PCOS as well. Glucophage never helped it. I haven't had a period without taking medication for it since I was 14 (I am 26 now). UNTIL 2 months ago. I've had 2 periods, each a month apart with no medication.

I am down 90 lbs at 11 months out. That's 70% of my excess weight (from 288 to 198).

jayme

This is only my second post on this site, and I feel like I have hit gold with these couple of threads on PCOS. I posted a response with some history on another thread earlier, but more precisely, to your question.

My endo has said so many things to me and it all seems like a blur, but these are some things that have been passed to me.

-The metformin is used for the regulation of insulin only. But when your metabolism is "Reset" your beta oxidation (fat burning) can work properly.

-The nerve that is compressed by the ring is somehow effected and tells the brain that you aren't hungry. Maybe there is some other signal or rewiring that this compression sends to your brain that resets metabolism as well, I don't know.

To me, it makes sense that if the metabolism is reset through drugs, that when the caloric intake is lowered, everything acts as normal. But I do think that there is more to the nerve thing than we currently know.

I am totally encouraged to see your pics. I am going to have this done soon and I can't tell you how much seeing your pictures meant to me today. Thanks for the pick me up.

amy