Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At what point do you give up? (getting stuck post new fill)

I got my fourth fill (half cc) on Thursday (5/6/10) and

they had me drink some Water right after.

All was fine went down, no problem.

So I go home and have some Soup

(based on what the nut said,

I could have Soup as part of my full liquids for 24 hrs)

After the 3rd spoon...I was stuck...on soup.

I tried to just wait it out...you know, the sliming,

and strange little contractions your stomach does

to get the food to go one way or the other.

But after 2 hours and it never going down,

I allowed it to come back up.

After that, stayed on liquids, everything was fine.

Then went to mushies...had fat free baked Beans.

They are soft...basically dissolve in your mouth.

Got stuck after 6 beans!

I have been on liquids since, but the problem is

that I can go for awhile just sipping Water or fat free milk,

but if I go for too long just swallowing saliva,

I'll get a minor stuck feeling - can't get any fluids down - until I spit up the stuff in my pouch.

Which is usually just foamy saliva.

What's going on?

Should I be a trooper and hope that my swelling will go down?

At what point do you give up and call the doc for an unfill?

I realy don't want to do that again.

For 2 months prior to this fill, I gained 4 pounds.

UGH!

:confused:

From my experience, it can take about a week for the swelling to go down. If it were me, I'd try to wait a couple more days, but if it's not remarkably better in a week (post-fill), I'd have a little unfill. I suspect you are going to need one anyway, but it is hard to tell when you're swollen. At my practice, we usually have to wait a couple of days for the appointment. I'd probably call today a make an appointment for 2-3 days from now. You can always cancel it, if things turn around.

Good luck. I've been where you are and it is no fun at all.

Cindy

I would stick with liquids (so, say, broth instead of soup) for a good week before throwing in the towel.

Then, I'd very gradually move from puree to mushy to solid.

I had my second fill a few weeks ago and I noticed it took almost a week for the swelling to go down and lose my restricted feeling. Try giving it a few more days.

You could be a little swollen, but you could also be too tight. If you have questions, call your NUT. I had my fills through Fluoro so never got too tight.

Voodoo-- I read on one of the treads that some Dr's suggest liquid pain meds to help the swelling but I cant remember which one! Maybe you could call your Dr's office and they can help.

By the way, I had a partial unfill after my forth fill and they took out .25 of a .7 fill and I felt much better. And after that I don't plan on ever getting more than .5 at a time. So even if they take a little out its not a disaster. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

liquid ibuprophen will help with the swelling. I agree with the others, give it a few more days, take it very slowly and if it doesn't improve, have some fill taken out.

BTW, everyone is different Beans are one of the foods that give me trouble. Beans and white potatoes seem like they go down like sawdust and glue. ha ha Sad thing is, I love them both. I can eat them now, but I have to VERY careful and take extra tiny bites.

Keep us posted and good luck to you.

Voodoo-- I read on one of the treads that some Dr's suggest liquid pain meds to help the swelling but I cant remember which one! Maybe you could call your Dr's office and they can help.

By the way, I had a partial unfill after my forth fill and they took out .25 of a .7 fill and I felt much better. And after that I don't plan on ever getting more than .5 at a time. So even if they take a little out its not a disaster. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I called and talked with the nurse.

When I told her I could only get milk and Water down,

but not my own saliva or soft foods,

she said they were totally open this morning

and she would pull a little out.

I needed the relief because I was tired of either

spitting into a water bottle or eventually heaving up

frothy saliva. Can't function like that.

She removed .2 and I can tell I still am tight,

but not too tight. Liquids move through with a slight gurgle.

I feel so much better.

I just didn't want to "fail" this fill, you know.

The nurse said I'm one of the sensitive ones...

and that's not a bad thing...it's just MY thing.

Thanks for all the repsonses!

:biggrin:

Edited by voodoo

Thats great! I'm glad you feel better, I am not in the "too tight is good" club either. Slobber sucks!:biggrin:

Don't give up. Just call the doc. I have had 11 fills and 1 unfill of about .2cc. in the 2.5 yrs I have had my band. The fills that are done under the flouro are much better. The fills I had early on that were done without the flouro, made it till about day six before my adjustment kicked in. When they say liquids that means liquids, no cream Soups, But I had a tendency to stick with Protein frozen shakes in case there was swelling then the coldness helps. But if you cant even get sips down you are to tight..