Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No healt concerns, getting the band May 13

Well, I am finally done with every hoop I've had to jump through and I am starting to get scared. I have no major health issues and my BMI is relatively low 38 but I have done the work and am scheduled for surgery on May 13. Pre-op diet is ok works if you dont forget Snacks. I have cheated a few times and felt/feel guilty each time. I have tried to cheat healthy cheese, green Beans, chicken. But I see other people that are having this done and no one seems like me. I am scared that I am making the wrong decision. I just want to be able to play with my kids and not be embarrassed to go places and sit in chairs without getting stuck, to not mind having my picture taken. I don't want my health to become bad is the logic I am relying on at this point. With each diet I have tried I have gained weight. Pre-op diet works great but if I stop...maybe its just the nerves.

I've also had a few people say why would you do that? you're not big enough for that, you just need to eat better.

I'm also afraid I will miss food. I'm big into Pasta and I know that is a no no. And I am not sure how eating after surgery will be. I guess it's the unknown I'm afraid of and that if it wasn't a good decision the doctors would have told me and Insurance wouldn't have approved it.:thumbup:

Don't worry what others think. You and your surgeon will make the right decisions for you. I hope you have some support system in place of family and good friends. They make all the difference! My BMI was around the same as yours at my surgery. I lost over 50 pounds before I even considered having surgery. In fact, one of my friends who said, "you don't look like you need surgery", is scheduled for gastric bypass next month!!

You will not miss food after surgery! Yes, liquids can be tough but you know you will transition to soft then to solids. You're right that you don't know if you will be intolerant of anything post op, but keep an open mind and be willing to try. In terms of Pasta, every postop diet is different, and white Pasta is never the best option. Consider, whole grain pasta or Protein pasta. Barilla Plus is an awesome option that has a great nutty flavor and A LOT of Protein per serving. Just remember that a bowl of pasta will never look the same after surgery. Personally, I will have some protein pasta usually about an ounce with some sauce, chicken or shrimp about once a week and I do very well with it.

Try to relax and remember you are making the best choices for yourself and your family. Good luck with surgery

you'll have your normal life back, just better, healthier and looking better with all that weight loss!!! so enjoy your new journey to weight loss....choose healthy foods and welcome to the losers bench!!!!:)

Even if you don't have comorbidities, with a BMI of 38, you are at far greater risk for them down the road. You are making a smart decision to avoid obesity-related disease.

You and your doctor know your diet history. You know that, even though you don't have a super-high BMI, your efforts in the past have not given you the results you need to be healthy and comfortable in your own skin. You know that, without surgery, you're likely headed down a path of more gain, and more health problems.

It doesn't matter what other people think---you know what your body needs. And you have a bazillion people here who understand.

We'll be band sisters, my surgery date is May 13th as well! And we're actually both starting out about the same as far as BMI and weight goes.

I visited my PCP for my pre-op clearance recently and she told me her only concern is that I'm a little young to be so drastically changing how I eat. I think she has the impression that this is a "last resort" operation. I disagree entirely. I told her I am 100% sure that I could lose the weight, but I'm 99% sure I'll gain it back at some point. The statistics don't lie - very, very few people lose weight through diet and exercise alone and keep it off. I don't want to put my body through that. Plus, I have been fortunate enough not to have any health scares - why wait until I have diabetes before I make a change?

The way I see it, the band forces you to eat the way our bodies are supposed to eat. Not this Americanized way of finishing off huge portions and consuming overly processed foods. Honestly, I think even non-overweight people would benefit from this. I too mourn the fact that I'll never be able to eat the way I love to eat now - but the fact that I love the way I eat now is a huge red flag! That tells me that my relationship to food is unhealthy and it needs to change for my own well-being!

When I first was recommended the LAP-BAND®® (by a plastic surgeon, no less) I laughed at him because I thought it was a gimmick. After lots of research I was convinced. And just like you, finding out insurance covered it totally sealed the deal for me. We all know how stingy insurance is. Why would they cover it if it's not a proven success??

I don't have my band yet obviously, but that's how I choose to see this. I am taking a proactive step knowing that the deck is stacked against me, both through genes and environment. I am nervous too and no matter how much research I do there's still the big, scary "unknown"...but I'm also very excited and I think I'm in very good company. That's how I rationalize it. :)

So good luck to you, and don't forget to let us know how it goes!

Hi Prat72,

I am scheduled the same day and feel the same things you do! I also have the "no current health concerns," but my mom and dad both have diabetes and my mom just got put on insulin shots.

I have thought the same things you have. "What am I going to eat after the recovery period?, etc, etc." The head of our support group brought me back down to reality though and made the simple statement, "You will eat again." By hearing others say that they can pretty much eat anything, just in healthier portions has also helped tremendously.

I realize that although I have lost 25 lbs. pre-op I most likely would not keep it off long-term on my own and of course I have plenty more I would like to get rid of. I feel so much better already just losing this 25 lbs. I can play longer with my boys and that is worth it all to me!

It has been a hectic time period leading up to this upcoming Thursday, but BOTH of us can do this!!

I wish you much success.

Moneta

:):o