Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started my pre-op diet today. 3 Protein shakes, Jello, broth, Water, liquids for the next 7 days. NOTHING SOLID! No more than 800 calories!

So, I am doing ok with the physical hunger but the HEAD hunger is already starting to bother me. HELP! :thumbdown:

I started mine today! Are you allowed to put fruit or yogurt or natural Peanut Butter in your shakes? If not, even sticking it in the blender with ice will prolly help.

I have only had two shakes today and its keeping me full. I switched between chocolate and vanilla. Also zero gatorade is really tasting.

My problem is that I want to chew on something. Try gum!

Just remember what we are doing this for!

Hi - I start tomorrow and do it for 2 weeks - same thing - drinks and broth only...don't know how I will do it but i will and so can you - just hang in there - they all say that after about day 3 - it gets better!!!!

I started mine today! Are you allowed to put fruit or yogurt or natural Peanut Butter in your shakes? If not, even sticking it in the blender with ice will prolly help.

I have only had two shakes today and its keeping me full. I switched between chocolate and vanilla. Also zero gatorade is really tasting.

My problem is that I want to chew on something. Try gum!

Just remember what we are doing this for!

What shakes are you doing? Mine aren't terrible but not that tasty! No, I cannot add anything! I have to do the ice but forgot to freeze some ice. Duh! :thumbdown:

I was thinking of posting "you know it's head hunger when..." so I could say "the very act of eating differently, not necessarily eating less, makes you think you are hungry." I start 2 week pre-op Wednesday and it's not a liquid diet so decided to ease into it, just giving up carbs over the weekend and today I am hungry even though usually a Protein drink in the morning keeps me completely fine until lunch. it's just all part of the process, but it was a bit of an aha moment about how your head can play tricks on you!

Mary

I am having my surgery on may 10th....I am on day 8 of my liquids and for the past two days I have felt great on the opitfast shakes and SF jello/popsicles, and chx broth!! The first six days were very hard and I did sneak in a garden salad with chicken once, but seriously, If I can do it, You all can def do it!!!:thumbdown:

What shakes are you doing? Mine aren't terrible but not that tasty! No, I cannot add anything! I have to do the ice but forgot to freeze some ice. Duh! :thumbdown:

I use Platinum HydroWhey. It taste good! Right now im starving, and this is not head hunger , this is real hunger! haha Im going to eat some broth... but I really dont think that will help. haha

keep it up, you can do it!!! It's a bit hard the first few days, but then you get the hang of it. I had to take some Tylenol cause I got headaches as well. Go for a walk whenever you feel you can't handle it, plus if one day you fail, don't worry, it's perfectly normal, just start again the next day. Goodluck and please keep us posted.:thumbdown:

:thumbdown: So, I started my lovely pre-op diet today and it sucks! I am soooo freaking bitchy. I also had a headache all day. The headache is my fault for stopping caffeine cold turkey! UGH!!! I tried the EAS Protein Shake this morning and it wasn't bad but by the third shake tonight....I wanted to vomit! I have to find some other Protein shake! I did eat some almonds today even though I am supposed to be on a liquid only diet but I needed something to eat! Not eating food is making me wonder if I can really do this. Will I be ok with NEVER being able to OVEREAT again? That's fudged up thinking right? "Normal" people don't think about food constantly! Will I ever be "normal"? Will I ever have "normal" thoughts about food? I hope this band will help me! Someone please tell me it will! Please tell me I am not alone because right now I want to go eat EVERYTHING in the kitchen..maybe even the kitchen sink!

I have the worst headache ever!!! I never really drank caffeine soo it cant be that.

The past few hours have been really bad for me :-(... I tried chewing my broth today.

Oh man -- the pre-op diet really sucks! But hang in there -- it's so worth it. One thing that helped me was carrying around bouillion cubes in my purse so that I'd be able to have something if I had to be around people who were eating and didn't have another option. That actually helped a lot.

Also, if scaring yourself into staying on the diet helps (it did for me!), just think about your liver slopping around during surgery . . or waking up after surgery and finding out that they couldn't band you b/c your liver was in the way. Apparently, the pre-op diet shrinks your liver and makes it less slippery, which means that your liver won't have to be moved as much during surgery -- and that translates into less pain and an easier recovery.

Anyway, thinking about that kept me on the straight and narrow. But my pre-op diet was just 3 days. My hat is off to you with seven. But. . I bet you will lose a ton of weight this week!

Hang in there -- and congratulations on your surgery date!

Catherine

I am on Day 2 of my pre-op liquid diet and, of course, it is Mother's Day when I would normally have all my favorite foods throughout the day. Not this year, though! My Breakfast consisted of a chocolate Protein shake with coffee (so it made a mocha drink). It actually was pretty decent! I definitely had the stomach growls yesterday but I just kept up with drinking crystal lite or diet coke or chewed gum. I only have to do this for 10 days and then I have my surgery on May 18th. I have been told that the 1st few days are really tough and then your stomach begins to shrink a bit so you are not as hungry.

good luck to everyone!

:confused: Katie

:confused: So, I started my lovely pre-op diet today and it sucks! I am soooo freaking bitchy. I also had a headache all day. The headache is my fault for stopping caffeine cold turkey! UGH!!! I tried the EAS Protein shake this morning and it wasn't bad but by the third shake tonight....I wanted to vomit! I have to find some other Protein shake! I did eat some almonds today even though I am supposed to be on a liquid only diet but I needed something to eat! Not eating food is making me wonder if I can really do this. Will I be ok with NEVER being able to OVEREAT again? That's fudged up thinking right? "Normal" people don't think about food constantly! Will I ever be "normal"? Will I ever have "normal" thoughts about food? I hope this band will help me! Someone please tell me it will! Please tell me I am not alone because right now I want to go eat EVERYTHING in the kitchen..maybe even the kitchen sink!

Kerri-your post makes me smile. I know once I start my pre-op diet I will be just like you. I was reading your post thinking.. omg that is me...hahah... I know it will be very hard and I mean very hard. Maybe some mild sedation for the two weeks..kidding. I think just keeping your mind busy would help. I know when I am busy and thinking about things I sometimes forget to eat. Wish it was that easy all the time but it isnt. Good luck and keep us posted because I will be right behind you in a few weeks.

Oh man -- the pre-op diet really sucks! But hang in there -- it's so worth it. One thing that helped me was carrying around bouillion cubes in my purse so that I'd be able to have something if I had to be around people who were eating and didn't have another option. That actually helped a lot.

Also, if scaring yourself into staying on the diet helps (it did for me!), just think about your liver slopping around during surgery . . or waking up after surgery and finding out that they couldn't band you b/c your liver was in the way. Apparently, the pre-op diet shrinks your liver and makes it less slippery, which means that your liver won't have to be moved as much during surgery -- and that translates into less pain and an easier recovery.

Anyway, thinking about that kept me on the straight and narrow. But my pre-op diet was just 3 days. My hat is off to you with seven. But. . I bet you will lose a ton of weight this week!

Hang in there -- and congratulations on your surgery date!

Catherine

Catherine- That is exactally what my surgeon told me. If I dont stick to the diet they will know because your liver will still be big and such. He said if they get in there and see this then they will close me up and ship me out. No surgery... then I will need to start all over again.

hi friends! I am on day 5 of my 14 day pre-op.....and i'm miserable! my stomach is not tolerating all the liquids very well...anyone else deal with this? i haven't cheated once though...so I am very proud of myself so far...and i've lost 7 lbs....so you can't beat that. I do have a question though....i have NEVER been this tired in my life! anyone else struggling with exhaustion?? iall I did yesterday was fold and put away 6 loads of laundry....and then slept for like 11 hours! this is crazy....

I hope I am not a lone on this....

happy mothers day to all you mothers out there!!!!