Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can someone explain this phenomenon?

I feel like a freak of nature.

So I'm not losing weight.

Doc says, "You're not getting enough Protein.

Double it. No fill today."

I call two weeks later.

"I'm not losing weight. When should I

see results from new Protein levels?"

Doc says, "You may not be getting enough calories.

Add 200 a day. Oh and remember...measure yourself.

You'll lose inches even though you don't lose pounds."

In one week I've gained 5 pounds.

:o

And you know what I hate to do now?

Exercise.

It pisses - me - off.

I'm like..."Um , why am I sweating and aching for no reason?"

You know...when I first started,

I was on that stupid liquid diet...lower calories

and protein...lost 10 pounds.

Now I'm not losing because I'm not

getting enough protein and calories...gaining.

WTF?

I'm in the same size pre surgery that I am now.

Oh, sure the clothes hang better...

but can't fit in the next size down.

I don't want my fat clothes to HANG better.

I want to incinerate them. That's what.

Feels like a nightmare.

:thumbup:

I'm sorry you are going through this. But I would like to point out the 5 pounds cant be real. To gain 5 real pounds in a week you have to eat 17,500 calories above your daily needs. Thats at least 4000 calories a day, so its probably mostly Water.

Do you want to post a typical menu of what you eat and maybe we can tweak it for better results? (It sounds like your Dr. is kind of vague on his recommendations.)

I'm sorry you are going through this. But I would like to point out the 5 pounds cant be real. To gain 5 real pounds in a week you have to eat 17,500 calories above your daily needs. Thats at least 4000 calories a day, so its probably mostly Water.

Do you want to post a typical menu of what you eat and maybe we can tweak it for better results? (It sounds like your Dr. is kind of vague on his recommendations.)

Oh yeah they're vague.

I didn't even know I needed to get

60-70 Protein grams/day until 3 months after surgery.

It's not the doctor per se, it's his nutritionist.

I think he trusts her to deal with those things

and so doesn't come in and repeat what he thinks

she's already told me.

I have a liquid Breakfast because I'm

too restricted in the morning to put down solids.

Muscle Milk Light

Then usually 3-4 oz of meat.

tuna fish, pork loin, turkey meatloaf.

I don't really eat fruits or veggies as a side

because after the meat, I'm full.

I'll have lowfat/fat free cheese as a snack

(in order to get more Protein and calories)

I'll sometimes drink a glass of fat free milk.

Sometimes a spoonful of low fat Peanut Butter.

(NUT suggested that)

dinner is a version of lunch.

3-4 oz of meat of somekind.

We don't eat out and I cook lowfat.

I'm not big on food.

I've spent the last 13 years measuring and weighing

and counting to no avail. Talk about tweaking!

When I wouldn't lose weight, I would think,

"Okay...maybe not enough this, or too much of that."

Then I discovered I have PCOS...

which means I've been beating a dead horse for 13 years.

But that hasn't seemed to be the problem since the band.

One of my problems (I think) is I'm not

very creative when it comes to what to eat.

I'll stand in the kitchen...just staring at it,

going through the inventory in my head.

"No, I don't want that...no, that's boring...

no, I've eaten that five times in a row..."

UGH!

Clearly it's user error!

UGH!

Clearly it's user error!

Not necessarily, Alex posted an article about slow weight loss last week, I will try and find it for you.

Now on the food front, according to my calculator if you eat the Peanut Butter, the cheese stick and drink the milk your still under 800 calories. You need to be 800-1000 calories after you deduct for your exercise. So if you ate everything you mentioned and walked on a treadmill for an hour your net calories are around 600. I recommend Greek yogurt and cottage cheese to up your calories. Because its easy.

I wasn't eating enough a couple of months ago and I wasn't losing so I upped my calories and started losing again. But now I am at the point that I have to up my exercise because I am at a standstill.:thumbup:

Here is the article I was talking about.

The Remarkable Effects Of Fat Loss On The Immune System

I hate to tell you this but when I first started reading these threads and people would say "I'm exercising and eating right and not losing" I would always think "yeah right" but I have changed my mind on that mostly because of all the articles I have read on the medicalnewstoday.com website. I think some of us have a biological or chemical process that makes their body fight weigh loss and makes it harder for them to lose, not impossible just harder.

Has you Dr checked for a medical reason for your slow loss? Thyroid, etc.? (Other than the PCOS, I know that is enough)

Edited by LeighaMason

Did I miss the exercise peice? Do you go to the gym?

Did I miss the exercise peice? Do you go to the gym?

I have two anchors against exercise right now.

One...for 13 years I worked my butt off

(weight training, cardio, walking, dance classes, etc)

with zero effect.

I mean the scale didn't budge.

So unfortunately for me,

my butt is the exact same size.

I learned that PCOS was the culprit.

Two...my sudden recent 2 month stall

has really darkened my mood.

After years of exercise not working

it's that much harder for me to do it now

that it's STILL not working.

Know what I mean?

Has you Dr checked for a medical reason for your slow loss? Thyroid, etc.? (Other than the PCOS, I know that is enough)

Before the LAP-BAND® I had my PCP check that

just in case it wasn't only PCOS.

My adrenal glands and thyroid are awesome.

I will read the article, thank you.

I think there is a double edged sword when you don't exercise. I think that you end of loosing your muscle and as you slowly advance your diet you have less muscle so you burn less calories. I believe long term success is difficult to maintain without building or maintaining muscle during this process.

Have you tried the body bugg and writing down everything you eat? Do you do the 8 glasses of Water per day?

I think there is a double edged sword when you don't exercise. I think that you end of loosing your muscle and as you slowly advance your diet you have less muscle so you burn less calories. I believe long term success is difficult to maintain without building or maintaining muscle during this process.

Have you tried the body bugg and writing down everything you eat? Do you do the 8 glasses of Water per day?

I keep track of my calories and Protein.

This is what the nut asked me to do.

I am getting enough water...finally.

I got a desktop reminder so that

every ten minutes a thing pops up and tells me.

I bet it's the exercise.

This is the one thing I haven't been consistent with.

You can't know how hard it is to NOT have faith in that.

(Or maybe you can)

Science tells us that it builds muscle and burns fat

and all that, but my body has worked against the grain

so long...I don't trust it to respond.

However...the weather is getting nice so

maybe I'll make my husband walk with me in the evenings.

That's something.

Edited by voodoo

A brisk walk every day will make a huge difference. Now that I have lost 49lbs, I am losing slower. I walk every day from 2 to 5 1/2 miles, and it has made a big difference. You don't need to start out with several miles. Go two blocks then increase as you find it easier. I started with about a half mile and it was hard. I made myself do it every morning for a week and then I found I liked the feeling it got from it. To keep that euphoric feeling, I needed to increase my distance. I now do it only because I like the way it makes me feel, and the inches, and the pounds are a nice bonus.. Hugs!!!

I am with you on hating the exercise. But after the 21 day plateau that I was just on I have accepted that if I want to lose more I have to do it.

My stepson has a masters degree in coaching. He told me not to do cardio or dance or any of that to lose weight. It has something to do with slow twitch and fast twitch muscles. He said for me to walk on the treadmill or outside and keep my heart rate between 115-120 and not let it go over that for 1 hour solid. Or to ride my bike but once again do not let it get up over 120. So I ride my bike to work (5 miles) because at least I can feel like I am accomplishing something instead of just walking to nowhere on the treadmill. ( I am saving the planet, one car ride at a time :thumbup:) I hate to be bossed around so much that I have to trick myself into thinking its not exercise, otherwise I start to feel forced into it.

Maybe if your husband will walk with you in the evenings it wont be like exercise but just a enjoyable outing?

I am with you on hating the exercise. But after the 21 day plateau that I was just on I have accepted that if I want to lose more I have to do it.

My stepson has a masters degree in coaching. He told me not to do cardio or dance or any of that to lose weight. It has something to do with slow twitch and fast twitch muscles. He said for me to walk on the treadmill or outside and keep my heart rate between 115-120 and not let it go over that for 1 hour solid. Or to ride my bike but once again do not let it get up over 120. So I ride my bike to work (5 miles) because at least I can feel like I am accomplishing something instead of just walking to nowhere on the treadmill. ( I am saving the planet, one car ride at a time :thumbup:) I hate to be bossed around so much that I have to trick myself into thinking its not exercise, otherwise I start to feel forced into it.

Maybe if your husband will walk with you in the evenings it wont be like exercise but just a enjoyable outing?

Thank you for that cardio info!! I appreciate it!! Hugs!!

The scale probably wont budge as a result of exercise alone. But it does help in some indefinable way. Dont stop doing it, or you will make it much harder on yourself to lose weight. Its a HUGE part of weight loss and an even bigger part of maintaining weight loss.

And if clothes are "hanging better" something is going on.

In the meantime, I would try to follow up on what the actual reasons are for this frustrating lack of progress. You know you're doing the right things, and you probably know that if its going to be a slow process, then that's how it is, but it should come off eventually!

I hate to be bossed around so much that I have to trick myself into thinking its not exercise, otherwise I start to feel forced into it.

Yep, that's me!

LOL