Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal after a tummy tuck?

I had a tt (and hernia repair) this past monday and came home from the hospital on tuesday. I was not given an abdominal band/belt thing to wear, did not get drains and now I'm wondering if that was right. I know it depends on the individual doctor, but I'm just concerned if anyone else has dealt with this.....

I am in tremendous pain! I'm taking 2-5/325 percocets every 4 hours and that does not help a bunch with the pain, so I'm going to ask for a stronger perc... It HURTS everytime I get up to walk, when I go back to lie down, sitting up. Just everything. It hurts to cough and even blow my nose :blink:

Also, since I didn't have the drains put in, I'm getting little pockets of clear Fluid around the incisions It really looks disgusting. I just feel like the insicions are going to tear open :scared2:

Any advise or input would be so greatly appreciated. I do have a doctor's appointment later today, so I will be addressing these issues, but I was hoping for some personal experience. Thanks in advance.

Andrea:frown::smile:

Hello,

I just met with a plastic surgeon yesterday, and am a nurse myself. It probably would have been a good idea to put drains in but he did not so now you have to hope for the best. Just keep everything as clean and dry as possible make sure you keep an eye on your temp. call him today and ask if you can wear a tight gurdle or something like that to help the skin adhear to your abdominal wall.

Eat your Protein so you heal quicker and hopefully everything will be ok. The pain sounds about normal I have had 4 c-sections and it pretty much hurts to move. Keep taking deep breaths and use a pillow pressed against your stomach to cough. It is really important to keep your lungs inflated.

Hope this helps

I had a TT, liposuction of flanks and hips with a hysterectomy on 4/27. I have two drains and an abdominal binder was applied immediately after surgery and has been in place ever since. Most of what I have read indicates that placement of the drains and use of the abdominal binder is the norm. The binder has helped tremendously by supporting my abdominal area. It still hurts every time I get up (but mostly aches) like I have done about 1,000 crunches. I am taking 1 5mg/325mg percocert every 5-6 hr. My belly is fairly flat and I don't have any of the Fluid accumulation. I had to stay in the hospital for 3 days due to the hysterectomy and think that has helped with my recovery from the Tummy Tuck too. Best luck to you!!

I had a tt years ago and had 2 drains and still had Fluid pooling. I just had a hernia repair and they put in a drain and I still got a hemotoma. Friday I had the lapband placed and the hematoma removed. They put in a drain. I am grateful for the drain. I would be extremely upset and see another surgeon about a revision and get drains put in right away!! Good luck!

Hello! I just had tt with breast augmentation 4 days ago, on 5/17. I have an abdominal binder and 2 drains. I was sent home with Percodan and compazine. Used 2 tabs of Percodan 3 times I think. Would have been fine with just ibuprofen but used the Percodan as a sleep aid. Honestly, I have more pain due to hunching over (in my back) than anything. I was told not to sand straight the first 5 days. I'm hoping my drains come out tomorrow when I go for my first postop visit.

The best person to ask about necessity of binders and drains really is your doctor. He/she knows your health issues and can best give answers. Best wishes in your recovery!

i had drains after my surgery had a tt and a breast lift but i was freaking out at first after i got out of surgery because i didnt have a garment on i thought i was suppose to i had the nurse call my doctor and ask about it. and he said no. i didnt wear a garment for the first 4 days. when i went in for my follow up they put me in a garment and i tell you that was one of the hardest things to do. the nurse had to help me in it. i really didnt think it was going to fit. now the garment (actually wearing it right now I'm about 5 weeks post) is alot looser.

I had a Tummy Tuck and Lipo in 2008 after having two very large babies. I had two drains for at least one week and was on pain medication for quite some time. I had a required band around my belly, which I wore for six weeks and then I had to wear Spanx for several months afterward. Now, the doctor had to do more work than anticipated, but I can't imagine not having the band and spanx for support. It helped sp much. This procedure was the most painful experience of my life. It made my two c-sections seem like a day at the park. You will be swollen for a long time and will actually look better 1-2 years after the procedure, which is what I was told was normal and it is exactly what I experienced. My belly is still numb, but in retrospect, it was worth what I went through. Hang in there. It truly is a long healing process.