Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stephen King - A Metabolism Tale

I read a short story about Stephen King this week that really got me thinking.

A doctor tells a man that his metabolism is like a workcrew. When you are young they work hard and can generally keep up with the crap you give them (greasy burgers, left over cake, etc.). However they are getting older just like we all are. As we continue to give them crap they have to work harder but are now slower, sometimes they get sick and miss a day of work and maybe one of your metabolism guys has an accident and dies off leaving you with less guys to keep your body clean. But of course . . . being a Stephen King tale the guys come to life and want to take revenge for their grievances.

It sounds like a cheesy analogy but it kind of stirred my imagination a little bit. If my job was to clean up after the inappropriate, unhealthy things that I have eaten in the past - working 12 hour days, no weekends off, too tired when you get home to do anything but go to sleep and do it again the next day, I would not be a happy camper.

Anyways . . . it is strange to think that in the past I have abused my body in ways that I would never allow another individual to do to myself as a person.

Why do we justify to ourselves that it is OK to abuse our bodies in this way and then we blissfully go about doing it day after day?

We're busy and stressed and eating healthy takes time, thought and effort. Crafty CEO's have found a way to profit from this by providing pre-prepared foods, like a drug dealer offering instant gratification. On the back end they profit again by selling us diets to repair the damage. It truly is a horror worthy of a Steven King novel.

I was one of the afflicted. The physical abuse I subjected my body to had started to show -- sleep apnea, high cholesterol, GERD, bad knees, borderline high blood sugar.

I only hope my body will forgive me for the years of abuse. Hopefully my abused metab-o-workers don't decide to rise up and take revenge! :smile: