Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded April 28th...nervous!

Hi All...The moment that I qualified for the band I felt sorry for myself and took on healthier eating habits. It was almost as if I went in thinking "there is no way that I will qualify", ...but I knew that I would. From that day I quickly lost 20+ lbs and then like before, the momentum stopped. Meanwhile the clock has been ticking and last week I had my scope. All was well so I am now less than two days before surgery and it's hard for me to get my arms around changing my life. That said, my life as a big guy has been filled with despair on many occasions and I know that this is the right step in being a healthier happy person. It's like I'm ready, but I cant believe the time is here.

I work in the music biz (for my real job) and then play guitar in a band 2-3 nights per week. Standing on stage feeling blah and lacking self esteem and confidence sucks and I'm looking forward to looking and feeling better...I'm just having cold feet I suppose!:smile: It must be the puke stories and the thought of living off fluids for Lord knows how long. If I was good at that then I would't have gained so much to begin with!:smile:

Oh well...thanks for listening to my rant. I'm at Bev Hills Surery center early Wed so wish me luck! :thumbup:

First of all, congratulations on your surgery date. Second, pretty much every bandster I know has had cold feet right before surgery! What I did to help myself with this was to write out a list of pros & cons about the surgery -- the pros outweighed the cons by a lot -- and in retrospect, the cons didn't turn out to be a big deal. Looking at that list really cemented my decision for me, and I even took it with me to the hospital on surgery day.

It's been 18 months since my surgery, and I hit my goal earlier this month. I could hardly believe that would be possible at the outset of this process. For the first time in my entire life, I wake up feeling GOOD about my weight and body, every day. And, if I go out for a nice meal, I can actually enjoy it (though I certainly don't finish it!) and don't spend the next few days berating myself for eating too much or not sticking to a diet.

The band is really an amazing tool, and I feel so grateful to have been able to get it and make it work for me. I hope you will feel the same! :thumbup: Feel free to check out my blog if you want -- I put my pro/con list up there last spring, if you want to see it.

BTW, PBing and getting stuck is not that big a deal. (Especially not when compared to being able to fix your weight problem and know you won't gain it all back again.)

Best wishes,

Catherine

Hi All...The moment that I qualified for the band I felt sorry for myself and took on healthier eating habits. It was almost as if I went in thinking "there is no way that I will qualify", ...but I knew that I would. From that day I quickly lost 20+ lbs and then like before, the momentum stopped. Meanwhile the clock has been ticking and last week I had my scope. All was well so I am now less than two days before surgery and it's hard for me to get my arms around changing my life. That said, my life as a big guy has been filled with despair on many occasions and I know that this is the right step in being a healthier happy person. It's like I'm ready, but I cant believe the time is here.

I work in the music biz (for my real job) and then play guitar in a band 2-3 nights per week. Standing on stage feeling blah and lacking self esteem and confidence sucks and I'm looking forward to looking and feeling better...I'm just having cold feet I suppose!:sad: It must be the puke stories and the thought of living off fluids for Lord knows how long. If I was good at that then I would't have gained so much to begin with!:thumbup:

Oh well...thanks for listening to my rant. I'm at Bev Hills Surery center early Wed so wish me luck! :redface:

I was banded just last week and I feel great! Just take it one day at a time and you will do fine. I have not thrown up at all. Just had gas pain in my left shoulder for 6 days, but a heating pad helped with that. You can do it! I know you will have some adjustments concerning food...Head hunger is greater than real hunger. I would get on-line and chat with other patients until it passed! I think of my band as God's gift to me and that helps me too!! Blessings to you!!:)

First of all, congratulations on your surgery date. Second, pretty much every bandster I know has had cold feet right before surgery! What I did to help myself with this was to write out a list of pros & cons about the surgery -- the pros outweighed the cons by a lot -- and in retrospect, the cons didn't turn out to be a big deal. Looking at that list really cemented my decision for me, and I even took it with me to the hospital on surgery day.

It's been 18 months since my surgery, and I hit my goal earlier this month. I could hardly believe that would be possible at the outset of this process. For the first time in my entire life, I wake up feeling GOOD about my weight and body, every day. And, if I go out for a nice meal, I can actually enjoy it (though I certainly don't finish it!) and don't spend the next few days berating myself for eating too much or not sticking to a diet.

The band is really an amazing tool, and I feel so grateful to have been able to get it and make it work for me. I hope you will feel the same! :thumbup: Feel free to check out my blog if you want -- I put my pro/con list up there last spring, if you want to see it.

BTW, PBing and getting stuck is not that big a deal. (Especially not when compared to being able to fix your weight problem and know you won't gain it all back again.)

Best wishes,

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

First of all, and with all due respect, you look incredible! :redface: Nice work and a sincere congrats to you.

My surgery went really smooth and the recovery seems to be going just fine for my first day. I actually went for a few short walks and am enjoying the idea of a new life challenge.

I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement.

Cheers,

Rick

I was banded just last week and I feel great! Just take it one day at a time and you will do fine. I have not thrown up at all. Just had gas pain in my left shoulder for 6 days, but a heating pad helped with that. You can do it! I know you will have some adjustments concerning food...Head hunger is greater than real hunger. I would get on-line and chat with other patients until it passed! I think of my band as God's gift to me and that helps me too!! Blessings to you!!:redface:

Hi RR,

Thanks for your kind words as well. It seems like I'm feeling better every hour and am looking forward to the future. Keep up your good work and I look forward to sharing progress reports!

All the best,

Rick

Congraulations on your surgery. Mine is exactly one week after

yours. Hope you're doing ok and feeling not too bad.

Now the journey begins................... Will watch for updates.:redface:

k.

To one and all... My surgery date is June 15th and I am so glad to have found this forum. One prepares for change and hopes for change but.... in my head right now is the urge for a large hamburger with fries. I hope I can write this and drink my Protein shake instead.

Driving past the drivethrus is my greatest challenge. It is where the weight has come from. Perhaps - as I loose - I should deliver hunks of fat to their doors?? Kind of give it back.

At 62 I do not want to die young and do not want to die fat. I want to live healthy and enjoy my young children (21 & 27). I want to work (school psychologist) and maybe even date again (widowed, divorced). Can I give up the satisfaction that food supplies? Can I really stop killing myself?

The idea of communicating with others is so sound and hopeful. My sister had the bypass 18months ago, but lives in California - while I reside here in Minnesota. She advised telling no one - she didn't even tell me for 6 months and then I saw her!!! If my baby sister can do this I can, if all of you can do this I can. Yes I can - said the little train. Right now, I feel like falling off the tracks and stopping the whole trip. Fear - not of surgery but of failing - maybe even fear of succeeding?

Ah well, one step and then another.:redface:

Glad to meet you Barbara Sue and welcome. I'm pretty new to the forum and there seems to be as much support here as we need. Keep posting..........We can do this.

I'm being banded May 5th and today I'm on Day 11 of Pre-Op.

Can't wait for surgery day (or maybe the day after LOL)

k.

To OP, congratulations on your surgery and I'm glad you're doing well!!

Can't believe you're walking already..GREAT JOB!! I couldn't walk (or get out of bed) for 3 days, but began my workout routine exactly one week out of surgery and never looked back.

The first couple days after surgery were the hardest, but each one has been easier and better since. Best of luck to you!!!!

Hi All...thanks for the post and to all of you prepping for yours, it's not bad at all! I had mine yesterday and went for several short walks. I even managed to sleep ok...although not on my stomach which is my norm! Today (day 2) I went shopping at Lowes, Target, and then Bed Bath and Beyond. I am moving in a mellow fashion and not pushing it, but I do believe that moving around is the key to a healthy recovery...but know when to take a break! It's all about finding your comfort zone.

I do miss the idea of eating, but I am not hungry by any means. Between the trama and the device, and well yes, the soreness, eating is not a need at this point. A little Water, apple juice, and chicken broth has been just fine. Speaking of, I was happy that Doc T gave me the okay for chicken broth out of the gate....it's almost food! haha :smile: