Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you make your final decision??

Hi all, how did you make your final decision to go ahead with the Lap Band? I started looking into last week, already have seminars and consultations set up, and feel like things are moving a little fast for me! It's a big decision. Thanks!!

It is a very big decision. Just remember you can set your timeline to what makes you feel comfortable. I felt the same way in the beginning, but knew this will help me with my health further down the road. I am now 4 weeks post op and am happy to have done it. :thumbup:

I was told that I was a "ticking time bomb". My health was going down hill. I had type 2 diab, thyroid problems,and high cholest. I was told if I ever wanted to have children I needed to lose weight. For me it was the best choice for me. I am off my diabetic meds and have more energy then ever. I am almost 2 weeks post op and have lost over 25 lbs. It's awesome.

I have been heavy all of my life. I am fortunate to NOT have any of the medical complications that are common for obese people, although, I am sure it was just a matter of time.

I was on a cruise(like my 8th one) and just was not having any fun. Everything seemed to be about eating and then if it was not about eating it was about how uncomfortable I was feeling in my clothes or how I was unable to do things. I no longer even thought of trying things. I had gotten to the point of just not bothering because I knew my size would not let me. I was missing out on life.

I am tired of not doing, not going, not socializing, not fitting. I have delt with that for the better of 30 years and now at 38 I am going to start doing things I did not think I could or actually could NOT do.

I had my surgery in on 2/3/10 and so far I have lost 27lbs. It i a great start and I am happy with my progress so far and guess what............I NOW CAN HULA-HOOP WITH MY 12y/o!:thumbup: I have lost some weight in my hips and it helped me to finally get it.

It was a good decision but a hard one since I had to fork over $18,000 to do it!

Up until 2006, I had only really heard about gastric bypass. My ex-SIL had GB in 2001 and went from 232lbs to 93lbs. She looked horrible and became anorexic! I also was not too keen on having part of my stomach cut out and my intestines re-routed... not to mention that once you have the surgery, you are stuck with it. I was definitely NOT a fan of GB!

In the Fall of 2006, I stumbled upon an article in a magazine at my PCP's office about the LAP-BAND®®®. As I was reading the article, it was like the heavens opened up and the angels began to sing. I did some more research on the internet and decided to attend a seminar at a facility 45 minutes away.

When I went to the seminar, I KNEW that the LAP-BAND®®® was for me. I weighed 306lbs, but was fortunate to only have high blood pressure caused by kidney disease and none of the other usual co-morbidities (high cholesterol, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.) The surgeon told me that I was a perfect candidate for the procedure. All I needed to do was to check with my insurance company to see what was covered. Long story short, my employer did not purchase the WLS rider policy. Therefore, WLS was excluded. My hopes were dashed!

Towards the end of March 2009 (weighing 325lbs), I called my mother to see how her kidney dr appt went. She had a kidney transplant in 2004. Her dr told her that she had to do something about her weight or she wouldn't be around this time next year and suggested she look into the LAP-BAND®®®. I jokingly said to her that if she got the LAP-BAND®®®, I would never speak to her again and then proceeded to tell her about going to that seminar and all the info I had on the LAP-BAND®®®. Three days later and having been recently diagnosed w/ diabetes and high cholesterol, I went to visit my folks and they offered to help me pay for the LB surgery if I would go on the WLS journey w/ my mother. I, of course, jumped at the chance.

My parents and I went to 3 seminars before I decided on being banded by Dr. Curry in Cincinnati, OH (2.5 hours away). He offered the best self-pay price with the best aftercare. My mother ended up having GB surgery (11/23/09) at OSU Hospital b/c it was determined that she was not a good candidate for the band.

I was banded on 6-8-09 and haven't regretted it for a single moment. I have lost 75+ pounds in just over 10 months. I could NEVER have lost this weight without my band!

On a side note, my best friend ended up being banded by Dr. Curry 3 weeks after I was banded. Collectively, we have lost a total of 77lbs + 85lbs + 69lbs = 231LBS :thumbup:

Edited by sweetbean70

I did a lot of research. I looked into all the procedures. Finally, the lap band won because it was the least invasive and totally reversilbe. I was just barely over 40 BMI - the required magical number for my insurance with no co-morbidities. I didn't want any of the complications of the other surgeries. I saw that if you are compliant and follow the rules, you will lose weight. I am now 3 weeks post-op. I have lost 26 lbs including my pre-surgury weight loss. I am so excited and I have my first fill scheduled for 3 weeks from today.

I made the decision before I attended my first seminar! I'd long thought about it---watched the procedure evolve over the years---and was comfortable with it. I knew I'd done everything that I could do, short of surgery----I just was ready.

This probably sounds crazy, but I have to be in a wedding this coming October so that is one reason I decided to go ahead. I know there is health problems in my family, and I know I wouldn't be able to do this through diet and exercise alone. I knew I would be self-pay so I had surgery within 1 month of having my lab work, consultation, etc. done. I didn't have to do a pre-diet or anything like that since my insurance wouldn't pay. Everything moved fast for me, but I was glad it did!

I have been heavy all my life and just getting heavier. I have been lucky so far as to not have developed any co-morbidities.

My husband and I were trying to have another child for the last 3 years. I put $5000 in my flexible spending account for this year and after being told it would be around $20,000 to do invitro with donor eggs - I was looking for other ways to spend my funds.

I had been contemplating and researching this for a while. A couple of friends/colleagues had mentioned it a few times as they knew people who had done it and we worked in the medical field so they knew staff and the physicians at the local bariatric center.

Once I make a decision, I don't waste time. I went to an info seminar on March 9 and I had surgery last Friday (April 23). I have no regrets and am happy with my decision. I want to be healthy for me and my family to enjoy our lives. I have spent far too long hiding from pictures and situations because of my weight and uncomfortableness. It was time for a change and I'm proud to say I did it.

My Dr. recommended I look into the LapBand over 2 years ago.

I had tried everything but I was still determined to lose this weight on my own. WRONG!!!

I can lose weight on my own . I just can't keep it off.

I finally went to the seminar with Dr. Fielding at NYU and that actually convinced me to go for it. His speech and the facts he stated convinced me. One thing He said that actually moved me was that only 1 in 50 people would be able to lose 20 lbs and keep it off. The things he said just hit home with me.

I also in the meantime have been gaining even more weight . I'm getting older and becoming scared of dying from a stroke or whatever from having HBP. I have a good life and I don't want to die young. I go on great vacations and I want to be able to enjoy myself without feeling self-conscious about my big butt and thighs and gut.

I then started the process but NYU does not take my insurance so I had to find another Dr. that would.

I'm now anxiously waiting for approval and can't wait to be banded.

I also have been reading a lot and finding out all I can about the surgery.

I can't wait now. I feel like it will be the beginning of a whole new life for me.I only wish I found out about this surgery years ago.

I was tired.

Tired of being fat. Tired of not fully living life. Tired of walking into a store and having such a SMALL selection of things to choose from. Tired of people seeing my weight and not seeing me. Tired of my husband (Who is 6'1 and 150lbs) doing all the work in bed.. Tired of not being able to keep up..

I've been big my whole life. And after having my son, I hit an all time high of 250lbs. It's sad to say, I weigh 100lbs more than my husband.

I just had a baby 9mo ago, And I do NOT want my son to live the life I did. Be made fun of in school.. Not being able to run.. etc.

That's what made me choose to get surgery. And I'm hoping to get approved by my insurance.

For me it was a tool to get passed food addiction. I have other addictions, of which I had been clean from for almost a year. In that time, I gained lots of weight. I was turning to food as my last "fix". I knew I needed a tool to help me with the food. I was self pay ( I am sorry I didn't appeal the insurance company, but I was so anxious) and it was worth every penny. I have lost 69.5 pounds since Nov. 16th. I consider my surgery date my "clean" date. I am proud to say everything is going really well.

Sick and Tired of being Sick & Tired...

Realizing that I really want to LIVE and enjoy life and not be limited by weight and joint pain, I decided this was the best option for me. Granted it took me 2 yrs after discussing it with a surgeon to go for it.

I'm so very happy that I did. I no longer take meds for BP and I've decreased my chances of becoming diabetic - my mom died of complications from hear disease and diabetes.

I'm only half way there, but life is sooo much better.

Do NOT have surgery until your are ready!!! It is a big decision that you must be comfortable with and there is always a risk of complications with any surgery. That being said I had my Lapband surgery on MAR16, 2009 and I have lost 74# since starting the presurgery diet. It was the best decision I have ever made. I had done WW and also lost over 50# on a physician supervised diet but could not keep the weight off. I have high blood pressure and also arthritis in one knee. I needed to lose the weight to become more healthy. I feel 10 years younger and have so much more energy. It is a tool and you still have to work at it but you can achieve success with the lapband.

I didn't even know the lap-band existed until last summer, and as soon as I heard about it, I was "That's it! That's what will help!" I wish I had heard about it sooner, but I'm just glad I found out about it. I must say the most help and information I've gotten has come from reading this board. I've also read a couple of books that have been good, but for just plain 'ol practical experienced knowledge, it's here!