Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

first fill appt and no fill!!

I was banded on 3/19, and yesterday was my first fill appt. My doctor does fills by fluoroscopy. So, they do a barium swallow to check your restriction before they give you a fill. The scan actually shows that I have restriction!! I was shocked. I saw my pouch right there on the fluoro screen. I was so amazed because I feel no restriction!! The fill tech said I don't need a fill yet, that I have good restriction. I am so shocked because I can pretty much eat whatever I want with no problems!! I sometimes forget to chew and swallow big bites and have no pain or discomfort. I asked him how I could have restriction with only a "prime" that was put in my band at surgery, which is 3cc. (I have a 10cc band). He explained to me that it was because of the fat around my stomach!! He says as I lose fat, the band will become looser.

My confusion is this...if I have restriction, why don't I feel it?? I still eat too fast too and don't wait before bites to see if I feel full. I just assumed I didn't have any restriction since I had not had a fill yet. So far, my weight loss has been due to willpower and eating right, following the post op diet. I am still not on regular foods yet. I am on soft and mushy foods. I am hungry between meals. I having drinking 3 Protein Shakes per day to get my Protein in. The fill tech told me to stop with the shakes and eat protein foods like lunchmeat instead of the shakes.

Anyone else experience this? I am so confused.....:thumbup:

Hi,

I really would suggest seeing a new doctor, I understand the test you had, but if you feel hungry and you dont feel full I would think you needed a fill. I had my lapband 4/26 and I have had 2 fills, one of them just yesterday. My doctor has a form I fill out asking what I have been eating, what amount, and if I am hungry in between meals based on the information I write and if I am eating the right kinds of foods and amounts, then he makes the decision on how much of a fill is needed if anything. I can tell you that eating meat helped me a lot I stay full longer and do feel a restriction. I hope this helps... Good luck :thumbup:

I agree with the other poster. If I was hungry and could eat anything and my doc wouldn't do a fill it would make me very angry. Especially since you are newly banded and have only 3 ccs. Most times it takes several fills to get to your sweet spot. You know your body best and he should have listened to you. Find a new doctor.

I think you should try real food before you worry about it. It makes a big difference. shakes go straight through, and mushies are slider foods. If it is okay, I would start with solids before you decide how much restriction you actually have. Hugs!!!

Actually, I did try real food today instead of the Protein Shakes, and, I really didn't get hungry at all!! I guess the fill tech knew what he was talking about!! I would never switch doctors, I love my LB doc. He had nothing to do with my fill. I only saw the fill tech yesterday, not the doc. Thanks for all the advice!! I guess I have just been lucky and have not overeaten and got stuck!! I am going to be more careful now, chew my food well and eat slower, now that I know I actually have restriction. I saw it on the fluoro, I saw my small pouch and a pencil thin opening where the barium got thru after I swallowed. So, I know it is there, I just haven't felt it.