Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LESS restriction at NIGHT?

Hiya just wondering if anyone else is finding that they can eat more at night??

For the last couple of months (I'm on 5.7cc in a 10cc band) I have been struggling to eat during the day right up until about 4pm. I told my surgeon this at my last appointment (about 7 weeks ago)and he was tempted to take some out but told me that he wouldn't if I was able to at least consume Optifast..which I can and which I have been doing since (optifast shake for Breakfast and lunch).

It's still happening like that though and my next appointment is next week so I'm thinking I will probably get some taken out this time. I wouldn't usually be so concerned but I think I've GAINED about 2kgs since my last appointment and the only real thing I can attribute that to is not eating enough during the day and too much at night?!...

Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone else is having the same thing happen to them?? Would be great to know that I'm not the only one!

Edited by TeganRheana

Hiya just wondering if anyone else is finding that they can eat more at night??

For the last couple of months (I'm on 5.7cc in a 10cc band) I have been struggling to eat during the day right up until about 4pm. I told my surgeon this at my last appointment (about 7 weeks ago)and he was tempted to take some out but told me that he wouldn't if I was able to at least consume Optifast..which I can and which I have been doing since (optifast shake for Breakfast and lunch).

It's still happening like that though and my next appointment is next week so I'm thinking I will probably get some taken out this time. I wouldn't usually be so concerned but I think I've GAINED about 2kgs since my last appointment and the only real thing I can attribute that to is not eating enough during the day and too much at night?!...

Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone else is having the same thing happen to them?? Would be great to know that I'm not the only one!

From what I have read on here, it seems many bandsters have problems in the morning and then as the day progresses they loosen up.

I am tighter in the mornings, but I CAN eat, but don't during the school week, because I don't have time to sit and eat my breakfast like I should. Many times I don't eat real food for lunch, because I have to stay with my students and have about 10 minutes to eat when I sit down. I COULD eat solid food, but don't have time, so I usually have Soup. Talk to your doc and see if it would probably be more beneficial for your to get a small unfill to be able to eat food earlier in the day.

I'm finding that to be true for me too. I try to do a Protein Drink or yogurt for breakfast. For lunch, I can usually manage food, but I have to be super diligent about the small bites and chewing. A true half cup is all I eat. dinner varies. Sometimes I can only eat a little, sometimes more.

I have found that I am always tighter in the morning, but by night time, I can drive a truck through my band! (I get my next fill tomorrow and I can't wait!) I would only get some removed if you are not getting enough calories/protien in your day. LB

Thanks for the responses girls!! So glad I'm not alone on this one. I'll be mentioning it again at my next appointment, see what he say's :smile:

Ohh I definitely have this problem!

I literally cannot eat in the mornings. At. All.

I used to drink either a Protein drink or a yogurt or something but since my last fill, I have trouble with them (not because I'm too tight... but apparently my body just doesn't like dairy in the form of liquid anymore).

Sooo now I wake up and drink about 6oz of orange juice at home, drink a full bottle of Water when I get to work (around 8:30), and then usually by about 10am I can handle a handful of nuts.

Then I usually just do a Soup for lunch around 1-2 (I work at a veterinary practice and everything is on the go. I tried real food for the first month working there in december and everyone there probably thought I had some sort of eating disorder haha... it did NOT go well!). Then I'll do another handful of nuts around 3-4.

When I get home by around 7, I can typically eat whatever I want (other than bread and lettuce), and usually fix myself a pretty decent dinner.

Unfortunately even without much fill, I have trouble in the morning and early afternoon, so it doesn't matter for me to have an unfill, etc. God knows, I'd probably eat a house at night if I did!

It's a struggle, especially since it's hard to regulate my food intake at night. It'd be nice if it were reverse so I could get a good breakfast and lunch in and then not be able to eat much at dinner!

Ohh I definitely have this problem!

I literally cannot eat in the mornings. At. All.

I used to drink either a Protein drink or a yogurt or something but since my last fill, I have trouble with them (not because I'm too tight... but apparently my body just doesn't like dairy in the form of liquid anymore).

Sooo now I wake up and drink about 6oz of orange juice at home, drink a full bottle of Water when I get to work (around 8:30), and then usually by about 10am I can handle a handful of nuts.

Then I usually just do a Soup for lunch around 1-2 (I work at a veterinary practice and everything is on the go. I tried real food for the first month working there in december and everyone there probably thought I had some sort of eating disorder haha... it did NOT go well!). Then I'll do another handful of nuts around 3-4.

When I get home by around 7, I can typically eat whatever I want (other than bread and lettuce), and usually fix myself a pretty decent dinner.

Unfortunately even without much fill, I have trouble in the morning and early afternoon, so it doesn't matter for me to have an unfill, etc. God knows, I'd probably eat a house at night if I did!

It's a struggle, especially since it's hard to regulate my food intake at night. It'd be nice if it were reverse so I could get a good breakfast and lunch in and then not be able to eat much at dinner!

This reminded me of an RN that used to post a lot whose doc told her that the more dehydrated we are, the tighter our band will be. Earlier in the day, we are usually less hydrated from not drinking at all for 8+ hours overnight. As the day progresses, we drink fluids and hydrate ourselves, so our band loosens some. So, if you are experiencing tightening that definitely isn't related to a fill at all, I guess maybe you can try drinking extra Water in the evening and see if you notice any difference at all.

I would be able to eat lunch if I wasn't stressed. Because I teach and the lunch isn't duty-free, I must stay with Soups.:eek:

Hi guys - this is a very common problem, but doesn't necessarily mean that you're too tight. Apparently it's part of the band - I think of mine like a machine that needs to be oiled and warmed up before you use it. In other words, when you wake up in the morning, it's dry and tight... then what you have to do is drink warm liquids, like tea or coffee or even just hot Water.... then more liquids... then you have to try a single bite or a handful of nuts. There's something called first bite syndrome that means that if you try to eat more than one bite first thing in the morning, it doesn't work... Then what I do is wait for that first bite to go down - sometimes as much as 30-45 mins... then I can think about eating more. If I'd really like to eat early, then I go for a run -- for some reason exercise helps it as well.

Also - I'm pretty tight, so if I want to go out for dinner, I have a handful of nuts about 30-45 mins before I eat dinner... then by the time dinner comes along, I'm ready to eat a reasonable sized meal without PBs.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Oh wow, thanks for the last 2 posts - they really help and I'm definately going to try the suggestions!! THanks everyone else for showing me that I'm not the only one!! I'm extremely nervous about my checkup appointment tomorrow, I haven't been doing too well with the food that I have been eating (too much choc over easter etc!) so I'm trying not to let it get me down but it's hard knowing that I'm going to be weighed tomorrow...and I expect it won't be good news!! :thumbup:...Anyway, I will be back on track after my appointment I think- enough is enough...easter lasts 3 days, not the 2 weeks I've extended it for! LOL Thanks again everyone for their suggestions! I'm definately going to be trying them out!