Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice Re: Co-workers

If anyone asks, you should tell them that you're having vaginal rejuvenation surgery. That should teach them not to ask personal questions anymore. Ha!

I LOVE THAT!:biggrin:

I have told my co-workers. I have some support and some fake support but talking behind my back. I felt I should tell my unit because I am their team leader and there are going to times like during the pre-op diet that I am going to be less than my sweet self. We are close so they are going to notice if I eat differently and start losing weight then they would feel "hurt" real or not, that I didn't share. I really don't care. It is for me. It doesn't mean I am a failure or taking the easy way because there isn't anything easy about it. I have been sharing some of the things that I will have to do and they are all surprised. They had no idea. It's not like liposuction. You don't suck the fat out and heal and you are smaller.

I will mention that there was one person I know who had it and didn't tell anyone, which is fine it's her choice, but as she lost weight quite rapidly, she didn't tell them it was due to surgery. People were gushing all over her success because she said it was all her new found exercise and diet. Which in part it was true. She just left out the big part that it was the surgery too. Someone who knew spilled the Beans so to speak and word got around and people felt betrayed because she led them to believe that it was just plain old diet/exercise. They didn't feel the surgery was such a big deal to lie to them. They were offended by her leading them on. No way to win I think.

I started to tell sm folks about the surgery and got sm really unwanted 'support'... '

bel- you dont need that all you need to do is go to the gym and eat better ...' :biggrin:

:blink:WELL DUH!!!:mad:

if it was just that easy dont you think I would have done that ages ago! THE NERVE!!

So I decided to keep it to myelf and just told the ppl that had to know... My SR REP and my BOSS.

Im sure ill be so excited after the surgery that I will tell the whole company! but for now.. its a hush hush operation. :)

Everything will be on a need to know basis.

'.... gym and eat better.' SERIOUSLY! lol

My problem isn't co-workers but my family. I've told my husband's family but have not said anything to mine. My dad (who must weigh close to 300 pounds) would counsel me to "cut portions, drink more Water, stop baking (hardly bake anymore anyhow), and exercise". Hypocritical if you ask me. Plus he refuses to see a doctor. I have a wedding in August and my surgery is scheduled for May 5th. I don't plan on saying anything until then. My husband's family though is very supportive.

I telecommute, so some people I work with know and some don't - depends on the relationship.

Weight loss with Lap-Band is roughly 1-2 pounds per week; what one can do via a normal diet or change in eating habits. Mesh "gallbladder surgery" with "I'm trying to eat better" and there you go - no one needs to know about your "tool". You wouldn't feel compelled to reveal you're on a prescription medication for weight loss, would you?

My husband and I were talking about this the other day. There are a few people who know that I recently had surgery that I see infrequently. When they see me next and I am a lot thinner I wonder if they will think I have cancer or some other bad disease.