Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

well, I'm disappointed.....

I had my 1st consult on Tues, and found out that I can't get my band until January or February of 2001 because of insurance reasons. We are starting the rest of the other stuff though that I need just so I'll have it done and ready to submit to the ins after Jan 1st.

I don't know whether I should start my 6 month supervised diet now, or wait. If i start now it'll be over in september. I am afraid that I will sabotage myself after that....

I am going to get my psych eval done on the 20th, and the EGD done on the 3rd of may so those things will be done, but I've been told to hold off until later in the year to get the rest done.

I feel like everything is all of a sudden stuck now. I don't know what to do, of how to feel. It's hard to feel excited anymore.

Is there, or have there been anyone else who's had to go thru all this before getting banded? I need some encouragement here! Please.....:smile2:

If you'll be done with the insurance requirements in six months, you must be working with a very busy surgical practice! A 3-4 month wait after approval might actually jeopardize the approval--especially if starting a new year is involved.

Have they given an explanation to you for the long delay? The six-month supervision can start with your very first office visit. Are they really booked solid from October thru January?!

Is there another surgeon in your area who accepts your insurance?

The six month supervision actually will provide you with a good opportunity to really learn everything you can about the surgery and what you can expect after banding. We all hate THAT wait, but it's for a good reason.

However, I would be really reluctant to accept another 3-4 months tacked on without a great reason. I'd be afraid that a doctor who saw so many patients that surgery couldn't be scheduled within a reasonable period is a surgeon who might not be as available as I'd like postoperatively. It might be a faulty assumption--but it does raise my antennae, and I'd want to address that with the doctor before moving ahead.

I guess I was not very clear in my post, so I'll clarify. This was just my initial consult. We went over what the insurance would cover, and what would be out of pocket. The reason I have to wait an addition couple of months is because I have not been on the insurance at least two years. My paperwork will be submitted on January 2nd for approval.

I have to have a 6 month supervised diet, and I found out that I can do that with my regular PCP, instead of the surgeons group. I'll just do it until December so that I keep on track. In the mean time, I have a checklist of things to complete before December, ie: blood work, etc. I don't have to rush to get them done, so I guess thats a good thing.

I already have paid for my psych eval which is already scheduled;, and my insurance will pay for my EGD which is also scheduled.

I was just a little down because I was thinking of having the surgery done this year, not 2011. Really it's not that much a wait from what I was originally expecting.

Thanks for your two cents worth anyway... if things were different, I would certainly have taken your suggestions!

susi

have you looked for a doctor in Mexico? i highly recommend Dr. Aceves.....check them out you won't regret it. If you need any help just ask.

I had difficulty finding the right surgeon that my insurance approved and it took me 18 months to get banded. It was a long wait, but here I am today, 2 days out form surgery, 23 pounds lighter and hopeful for the future. I was really angry, bumbed, frustrated, you name it, but it all finally happened. Just use your time to pan, learn, read and be ready. It is a BIG undertaking and the more prepared you are, the better you will do.

Thinking about you!!:smile2:

Thats how i was when i first started this journey,i started on march 08,had surgery on january 13th 09,i had to wait 11 months.it was a long process.i know you are axnious,but patience is the key,i was so excited just the thought of having surgery i was so motivated.i was dissapointed after my 6months was up i had to wait 4months, after the holidays.my doctor had about 20 people at the last metting.so many of them was scheduled ahead of time.so do all your appointments,have everything in order.sometimes they may have a cancelation an next thing you know you are in there.good luck on your new journey.

Susi,

I'm still pre-band, and I've been at the process since last October, not because of insurance reasons, though. With me, I got distracted because of a diagnosis of breast cancer, early stage. So I had to take care of that first. Then, when I had all my ducks in a row in terms of required tests and visits, my surgeon decided to switch medical practices, so that has put me off by at least another month.

I very much empathize with your impatience, but time does pass. I've used the time to practice new behaviors and get as prepared as I possibly can. Reading on the site has been the most helpful.

Maybe I will have surgery in May at this point!

May we both have patience with our processes!

Thanks for all your support ladies! I have calmed down now since that first day, so I am feeling much better about it. I am going to use this time to get ready, teach myself new eating habits, and learning to eat healthier. Also with the support here I know I'll make it!

Thanks again!

Susi,

I'm still pre-band, and I've been at the process since last October, not because of insurance reasons, though. With me, I got distracted because of a diagnosis of breast cancer, early stage. So I had to take care of that first. Then, when I had all my ducks in a row in terms of required tests and visits, my surgeon decided to switch medical practices, so that has put me off by at least another month.

I very much empathize with your impatience, but time does pass. I've used the time to practice new behaviors and get as prepared as I possibly can. Reading on the site has been the most helpful.

Maybe I will have surgery in May at this point!

May we both have patience with our processes!

Wow, you have been through it! Good luck to you in May. It will be great!:confused: