Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret and depressed

Guest noinoi26

You guys are a wonderful support system!

I can't add much since I was really blessed to have encountered zero health issues. However, I did have remorseful periods through the first six months,until I was able to accept a serious lifestyle change.

Of course, see some dramatic results certainly helps.

Listen to those that have walked where you're walking.

Maurice

Hey Noinoi,

I just wanted to send you my thoughts and prayers!! I am sending positive thoughts to you as I type this message. Surgery is a big, no HUGE decision but you did it out of love for yourself to get healthy and to be able to live life to its fullest potential. You'll be sore, but each day you hang on is another day closer to losing all that weight FOREVER!! We are all here to cheer you on, give you hugs and pray for a speedy recovery. I have yet to have my surgery, Jan 27th will be my surgery date. I know I have to face the same pain but with help of the wonderful people on this board, I'll make it and so will you. Take it one day at a time, put in a favorite dvd or cd and let your mind take you away from the pain. I've used meditation when my knee was all messed up from an injury, music works wonders. I'd put on the cd player and just focus on the music. Anywho, I'm wishing for you a speedy recovery. Take Care, and PM me if you need to talk.

Hi all,

I just had my lap band op on tues and now i'm regretting my decision. Everytime i drink sometime my stomach starts to cramp and it will cramp up to hours.

I'm getting very depressed over it and has regretted my decision to have the operation.

I was b4 healthy 23 yr old but now i have no energy to even talk on the phone.

Though i dun have and vomiting episode but i can feel that my body is rejectin the band.

I cant walk or sleep properly the last few days and medication does not help at all.I cant tolerate the liquid diet at all.

I talked to my doctor abt removing the band but he said i just had and op and cant go thru another 1 so soon.

Has anyone been thru this and have the band removed successfully??? any help will be much appreciated thks

just wanted to add my best wishes for you too, can't add any more than what everyone else has said, cause they are spot on hang in there this will pass

I cant say much more than everybody else has except I was exactly the same. I really regretted my decision for a week or so afterwards. I was in pain and crying and couldnt manage more than a few sips. Honestly it gets better, especially when the weight starts coming off and you feel in control of yourself and your life again. Once the swelling goes down you will be able to tolerate more.

Good Luck and I hope you are feeling better.

honey - honey - honey - take a deep breath and calm down. Your body and your mind has just been through a trauma. I know the day I came home from surgery I thought I was going to flip my lid. I was an emotional basket case. Feelings of wanting this out of you - those are normal feelings just because you know that something foreign is in your body now. This is very normal - you will get better and you will start to heal both physicaly and emotionaly.

Please try to do whatever you can to make yourself feel better and comfort yourself in any way that you can. Time will pass and you will see that you will start to feel better again.

Please let us know how you are doing. Take care - Nancy

what they all said sums it up--but I want you to know I understand too. I remember about a week out I was seriously considering throwing my hubby out the 2nd story bedroom window---its normal to be emotional and exhausted after a surgery--if you have never had a surgery before--it can be a shock just how much. let us know how you are doing--and keep your chin up

shrina

7/12/05 dr. Kuri

274/227.5/125-150

Please allow yourself the time your body and mind need. Like many others here, I support your decision either way, but know that how you feel is a completely normal reaction to what your body and mind are going through. I was very weepy for a week and have pulled it together somewhat but having a low # of calories, taking pain meds, possibly being caffeine free or reduced for the first time -- all play major roles in your feelings and stamina. Listen to your Dr, give your body some time. I had trouble swallowing the barium in the hospital, and some vomitting the first few days but I am now doing better entering week # 3. If you continue to have problems, maybe your Dr will check to be sure you areen't too restricted. It's might just post -op swelling that is complicating things for you. Take it day by day!

Guest Miss Losin Lot'

Why the surgeon's do not address the possible emotional upset that patients may feel immediately following surgery, I will never know. I say that because what and how you are feeling right now is how almost every band patient I have spoken with (hundreds) INCLUDING myself felt after surgery. I laid my head in my husbands lap three days after my surgery, when I had no energy to walk, no energy to to anything, with a stomach that felt like it was going to just explode out of me....and I cried. I kept saying, what have I done to myself.

IF ONLY the surgeon's would take just a little extra time and tell the patient that they may experience not only discomfort and some pain, but also some emotional upsets and doubt.....I truly believe patients would feel better with regard to feeling how your feeling right now.

It is totally normal to have the doubts, and the wishes that you'de not done this. Your body is healing, your body (mainly your stomach) is very angry at suddenly having a plastic band placed around it, your abdomen had enough gas pumped into it to lift a blimp into flight AND......your body is weak from lack of proper nutrition being your on liquids and nothing else. And if your program was anything like mine, I was required a 20 grm carb diet for three weeks prior to surgery which expended all sugar from my body to help shrink my liver.

It wasn't until the beginning of week 2 until I began to feel human again. And it wasn't until I was able to have thicker Soups that I began to allow myself to think that perhaps the surgery wasn't such a bad thing after all. And it wasn't until I lost my first 25 pounds that I KNEW I had done the right thing. I'm 1 year and 3 months out now. I've lost almost 80 pounds. I've had to learn to work with my band, learn it's little quirks, it's likes and dislikes, and even learn to deal with stomach churning and gas when it happens...and it does still happen. All in all however, I would do it all again in a hot minute because NOTHING taste as good as being 80 pounds lighter.

So lay back, have someone go rent you some good movies, get some headphones and load up with your favorite tunes, get a couple of good books, a warm blanket and relax. Take small strolls, sip your broths and tea's.....and very soon your stomach will calm down. Until it does however take the pain medication and if you didn't get any, call your surgeon and ask for some........Another words, treat yourself as if you did just have major surgery and don't expect too much from yourself.

Best of luck and good health

Kay

AKA: Miss Losin' Lot's

Hi,

I'm sorry that you are having such a rough time right now. You have gotten some excellent advice from everyone here.

The only thing I wanted to add was the fact that it is common once your diet is altered and calories/nutrients are restricted for one to go into depression, I was aware of this before surgery so I was prepared.

Please give your body a chance to heal before you make any drastic decision to have your band removed or anymore surgery. Does your doctor offer any type of aftercare program like group meetings? It really helps to be around those who have been there during this time.

Remember things do get better and we are here for you!!

((((((HUGS)))))

I think another reason you might be feeling depressed is that you literally have lost your best friend. I mean right after a life changing surgery, you can't even Celebrate with a good meal. That alone is depressing... but is it more depressing than feeling fat and unhealthy? You have made the right choice... rejoice in it and what your new life will hold for you.

you have to at least drink Water no matter what because dehydration causes the cramping. make very sure you drink water, no matter what. if you drink lots of water the cramping will stop. for sure AND IM SURE THATS THE MAJOR CONCERN IS THE CRAMPING. it can get pretty freaky when cramping up. get the water down now.

Guest noinoi26

Hi all!!!

Thanks for all your support and encouragement!!! i'm really very touched! Didnt have the energy nor the mood to log in the last few days but i'm feelin much better now! Thanks to all ur concern! I'm really glad i found u all and this wonderful forum!

I was seriously depressed the last few days and it dosent help when i couldnt find my doctor. In the end i visited the hospital again.The medication that they gave me for gas and pain wasnt working and another surgeon gave me some stronger medicine. Its not called gas-x here. But this time the medication helped me and i'm feeling better now!

I'm going thru this day by dayand hopefully everything will turn out well. I can tolerate liquids better and has started drinking clear Soups.< /p>

I will do my best and be strong and fight this battle! i already lost 8kg!

Thanks again everyone!!!