Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I am only 8 days away from surgery but I started feeling depressed yesterday! I should be jumping for joy but I just can't shake this. Has anyone else experienced this????

In a sense yes, I started my peo op diet yesterday and have been kinda bummed out. I am sad that I will will not be able to eat like I used to. But I am very happy that i wont look the way i do and will live alot longer! You'll snap out of it, just keep on keepin on.

Ok, I am only 8 days away from surgery but I started feeling depressed yesterday! I should be jumping for joy but I just can't shake this. Has anyone else experienced this????

I know exactly what u mean.. and lemme tell u IT GETS BETTER .. i did my surgury in 2008 on november 24 a few days before thanksgiving and it was hard but i got over it..and soo muchhh HAPPy then i have ever been,, try to stay strong.. do things to forget about food :thumbup:

Mimi thank you so much for bringing this to the forefront. I was feeling it hard-core today after I scheduled my EKG and bloodwork. I started to think about my relationship with food and how it fills a void when I'm lonely or sad. I became melancholy wondering what I would do if I can't eat to numb those uncomfortable feelings? Would the band change how I relate to food? How I use it as a copying mechanism? I got so scared today that I did consider postponing the surgery. I want to be successful with this, but I'm afraid of myself and my inner strength to embrace this new way of being.

Today is a rough day for me and I'm just scared.

In the face of such huge change (and when confronted with a super-restrictive preop diet), feelings of grief and depression are pretty common. For me, they passed before surgery. For some people, they linger during the period of getting used to the band.

It'll be okay--these feelings will pass. You're about to make big changes, and your mind is processing that.

hi mimi,

i think this is normal. i am 3 years post-op (today actually!)

for me i had a huge array of emotions before surgery. i was excited that i could do it. then the roller coaster started.....i thought i would never ever have certain foods (which isnt true). i even went around Target the night before my surgery and found myself saying goodbye to peeps, twizzlers, etc. (i happen to be in target for toiletries :thumbup:

but i found i can eat most things. what i didnt factor in...i really dont want alot of the foods that i stuffed into my body.

the other thing i didnt "project" in my feelings was how wonderful it would feel to get out of lane bryant and be able to shop anywhere, how nice it would be for people not to look at me as "lazy" because i was overweight (people do judge us) and also how much time i would have to do other things while i wasnt spending all my time obsessed about food.

one thing i did when i had the scary feelings before surgery was to read the positive experiences people had on this website. i figured if they did it, and had such experiences, i could do it as well.

also maybe writing feelings down helps to sort it out. i was worried i was losing my "best friend" in food. but food wasnt my friend. i had made it into an enemy as i was killing myself with it. the band helped me to put food into it's "right-size"

good luck. this will probably be one of the best decisions you've ever made. it is mine

josie

Thanks for all the replies! Yesterday was just a tough day! I was just so sad all day. We just put so much emphasis on food in our lives I guess I was actually in mourning about how my life is going to be so different from now on. I do feel better today. I went to my weight loss surgery support group last night and it helped so much. If any of you are not part of a support group I recommend that you find one! There were people there that are post surgery and pre surgery. It helped me a lot just listening to their stories. My surgeon also spoke to our group about being bored or stressed and wanting to eat. He encouraged us to find other hobbies or new activities to do. It was a very good meeting. Thanks to all for the encouragement!

Like Mimi, I go through morning phases, where I feel as though I'm losing a very dear friend-food! This thread has been most helpful as it provides with a sense of hope. I am still sad, but I am very hopeful that my experience will be like Josiebies. Thank you so much for all your encouragement. I long for the day to be out of my very tight size 14s and into a very comfortable size 6 or 8. I also look forward to the day that food is just a source of energy and not a coping mechanism. Until then I vasilate between fear and excitement which I gather is very normal. Nice to know I at least normal (LOL).

Thanks sincerely,

Ravyn

hi mimi,

i was worried i was losing my "best friend" in food. but food wasnt my friend. i had made it into an enemy as i was killing myself with it.

josie

I so totally agree. I am a newby as I was banded on 3/24. I found prior to my surgery I was lamenting "all the food" that I would not be able to have. It is way to early in the game to see if those foods even interest me, because right after surgery I have not really been hungry or even wanted to eat. (I know wierd huh)

I found that I was using food as a crutch to not feel, to stuff myself with something other than what I was really needing. Therefore committing slow suicide, just like an alcoholic I could not say no to just one. I would eat till sick-stuffed and then 15 minutes later look for more food.

I guess we all have to just let ourselves "be" in the moment and experience those feelings that scare us. I have found in the last 4 weeks with the preop diet and now post op that just being able to feel without pushing down food to block it out has been liberating.

You can and will do this, and we are all right here beside you.

Ruthie

Hi, Mimi! I agree with the posters who said that what you're feeling is normal. Also, I liked what Josie said about writing down your feelings.

I did this pre-op by writing out a list of pros & cons about why I was having my surgery. Writing it out and reading it when I was doubting my decision or questioning whether I should try regular dieting again was really helpful to me. I posted my pro/con list on my blog -- here is a link if you're interested. Couldn't hurt for you to make your own one! :frown:

Also, be sure to take some before photos right now & take your measurements if you haven't yet! You will for sure want them later! :smile2:

Catherine