Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't really care about goal anymore?

Does anyone else feel like this?

Before I had surgery I wanted to get down to 130 pounds, this is what I weighed before I had my son 16 years ago. So I had surgery 5 months ago, I am now 152 pounds and I really don't care if I lose anymore or not. I feel great, I am a size 8 or 10, I don't feel fat. But I am usually really goal oriented and will pursue one to a fault so this is strange to me. Has anyone else changed their goal up 20 pounds?

(By the way, I am still eating the way my Dr recommended but I am eating 1200 calories instead of the 800-900 that I have to restrict myself to to lose weight.)

I wish I were you :) I am so totally focused on goal -- and so stressed that i cried at the gym today when i had to stand in front of the damn mirror covered wall --

I know i have lost 48 lbs.. but im just not seeing it this past week - -

your attitude is a great inspiration!! Congrats!

I know what you're saying, and I weigh almost exactly the same as you do! I am 150-151 pounds, down from 191. My doctor set 147 as my goal weight, but in my head I was thinking 141. I think my problem now is that I can fit into all my skinny clothes in my closet (I no longer own clothes from the pre-baby 135 days). So I feel skinny at 8-10. Do I keep striving for that number or just maintain, which I am doing pretty effortlessly?

I am nowhere near goal, but I do find that my attitude toward it has changed a lot. I think it's a function of knowing that I will achieve it (even if I modify it)---something I've never really felt secure in before.

I care about reaching goal. I am about 22 lbs from my goal weight. I just want to be in a healthy weight range and those 22lbs will get me there.

i know what you mean i am down 118lbs from 324lbs. right now i weight 206lbs but i want to get to onderland.but as soon as i get their.then it,s gonna be another goal.i am thankful for my band.i am so comfortable at the weight i am at now.hope everyone is doing great.

Well, I can see from your siggy that you are now pretty much in the healthy BMI range (25) so I'm not surprised you are totally satisfied w/where you are at now. My goal is to have a BMI of 25. Maybe your original goal was just too low? Ultimately, you may still end up losing more weight (even w/upping your calories a bit), but its nice to feel comfortable w/where you are at and not really feeling like you have to try to lose more.

Personally, I have in my mind that I feel pretty good about my body when I am about 170 pounds (which is 20 pounds above my official goal). That's about the lowest I got on WW the last time and I felt GREAT, but I just couldn't stand the starvation needed to keep it off.

I guess weight is all relative. I think even if I feel great at 170, I will still strive for my goal (149) so I can be a BMI of 25 and in the healthy range. I just want to feel as healthy as I can and I guess I feel like I won't know what I'm missing unless I really try to get down there. But, if I have to be miserable and hungry to do it, forget it. Life is too short!

All in all, I don't see my weight goal as the ultimate end all. My ultimate goal is to create a new lifestyle for myself that is healthy, enjoyable, and sustainable. If that means I am 170, 150, or 130, I'm happy either way.

Hi:

I totally agree with you, but for different reasons. I started at 324 and got down as low as 174. When I was that low people that I haven't seen in a while thought that I'd been seriously ill because my face was so drawn and my face was hollowing out. My original goal was to get to size 12, and I'm there even when I go as high as 185 to 190, so that's where I am, and happy to be there. I'm 50 years old and in the best shape I've been in for 25 years. I'm enjoying my life so much more without carrying an extra 150 pounds around. Sure, I still have some excess weight, but it's mostly in my legs. Mother nature doesn't take away the heavy legs when you've had them since your teens (even when I weighed 127 I had heavy legs). So, happy at size 12 and some 14's and living a healthy, full life.

Best wishes to everyone who reaches their goal, or adjusts their goals because they're happy and healthy when they get close to their original goals.

These bands are amazing and I love mine and my new flat tummy.

Sue

I have set a goal of 120 (weighed in at 217 morning of surgery). This is based on a weight I was in college (after a strict excersise and diet program). I am now lifting weights so I may end up a bit highet than 120. I am just waiting to see how I look and feel. I think I'll know when it's right, and I can then focus on maintaining.

Nope, I was always fixated on a number.

Its silly but simple - over 70kg (154lb) = fat, under = acceptable weight for women to weight. Its cemented there somewhere in my psyche. Dont know why, perhaps it comes from always being the "big" girl - at 5ft 10 and in the 170's and now and again into the 180's during my teens, people expressed concerns over my size - my mother worried about it, I worried about it, I was teased for it and adults had endless conversations about it - "she's not fat, she's just a big girl" (lordy how I loathed that one!). Looking at photos of me now - I really WAS overweight at that sort of weight. 150 and under is perfect for me, I could easily weigh into the 130's and not be underweight, just my body type.

So when I did hit the 170's again, I didnt even think about stopping there.

Hi,I have read many of your posts and have seen how successful you are. congratulations to you. recently there was a discussion on high Protein versus just a regular diet.I get tired of feeling like should get more solid protein.I get a lot from my protein shakes.Solid can be to much for me ,mostly early in the day.Could you please give me an example of how you eat and how much you exercise?I must find a good example to follow.Thnx,L.

Well.... lol, be ready because we do it a bit differently downunder. There's just not the focus on Protein in Australia.

A typical day for me is today I guess. I started the day with my regular "green smoothie" - which today was apple, peach, banana and silverbeet blended with Water. Its disgusting! No seriously, tastes like the fruit, looks like what you clean out from under the lawnmower but I've been doing this for about six months and have never felt better. I have one or two a day and it takes care of my fruit and veg needs so that what I eat at meals is a bonus. By the way, that amount made up fed DH, me and my daughter, so I didnt eat a WHOLE apple, a WHOLE peach and a WHOLE bunch of silverbeet. But I just cant physically chew and eat that much fruit and leafy greens. It keeps me regular, healthy and full of energy.

About an hour later, I had two sardines and some sliced Tomato on a piece of wholegrain toast. I had a cup of coffee down at the shops and just got back and had lunch - two laughing cow wedges, the rest of the tomato sliced up on about six small wholegrain crackers.

I'm trying for another small smoothie this afternoon.

dinner tonight is going to be zucchini slice - basically an egg/fritatta type dish with egg, zucchini, some wholemeal flour, low fat cheese and probably some chopped up dill I have in the fridge - we'll have that with salad, and I'll have a glass of wine.

Yesterday was pretty typical as well - started with a smoothie, had a bowl of organic muesli, then picked at a cheese platter for lunch (cheese, olives, crackers, sundried tomatoes) and we had roast beef and steamed veg for dinner.

I guess these days the only real difference from when I was losing is a slight increase in portion size - but still about half what regular people seem to manage to eat.

My weakness is picking - lollies, chocolate etc if its around I'll have a bit of it. I'm better at just having a bit these days but pig outs are not unheard of! I guess my personal beliefs in nutrition are not focussed on protein but more on fresh fruit and vegies - I buy organic and I really believe we need TONS of plant foods in our diet, much much more than bandsters can eat. Its the one thing that worries me about life with the band long term, which is why I am motivated to get down a glass of green goop twice a day.

For exercise, I run about four days a week - about 6kms usually, and I do an hour long bootcamp session twice a week, which has more focus on cardio mixed with bodyweight strength training.

Edited by Jachut

Girl, you look amazing!!! Maybe you set your goal a little too low. You are just perfect!!!

Me, personally. I am soooo short that everything shows on me, so I need to get to 150 lbs, even though that's still overweight for my height. I'll see what I look like then and make the decision if I want to lose more or not. I am a size 12 now and still love my curves, so I can't imagine ever being a 4 or 6 anyway LOL!

Congratulations on all you've accomplished and for your great outlook! You have inspired so many of us along the way!!! You go, girl!!!

ETA: What the heck are all of us gonna do when we get to goal? I feel like so much of my focus is keeping my eyes on the prize that I don't know what I'm going to do with myself once I get "there" LOL! Maybe actually live life with no worries in the back of my mind whether or not I lost another 1 or 2 pounds this week ;-)?

Well, I can see from your siggy that you are now pretty much in the healthy BMI range (25) so I'm not surprised you are totally satisfied w/where you are at now...

You should see the pic of her next to the motorcycle. :thumbup:

I am right there with ya!!!

I have been fighting like hell since January to break through into Onederland to no avail (yet). I went from a size 22-24 and am now a comfortable size 12 (first major goal was size 14). I am 5'9 and 202lbs. I have gained and lost the same 5-7 lbs since October (talk about plateau).

Although I WILL see Onderland SOON, once I get there I will not weigh myself again. I am SO strong & healthy now, the scale cannot rule me anymore. At my smallest adult size I was 167lbs in a size 12. I am a size 12 now, and 35lbs heavier...go figure.

Personally, I would look sullen and gaunt at anything close to my "ideal" weight. But I will not give up or go back to my old habits. As long as I keep my lifestyle active and healthy, I will get to a place my body will stop fighting me at (don't know when that will be!)

The scale is nothing but a number. I prefer to weigh myself in the pool...LOL