Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being newly banded since March 12th and maintaining a liquid diet for the next couple weeks my, Fiber intake as expected is low. Also being a hobbyist cook I've been coming up with recipes to go with my new lifestyle. I was wondering this. If I were to take 1/2 cup of fiber one which has 14gr. of fiber and only 60 calories and put it in my coffee grinder and turn it to powder and say mix it with a cup of applesauce (100cal) or mix it with my yogurt, would I still get the full 14 gr. of fiber in it's new altered state? I'm assuming so, but wanted to know others' thoughts. I would think this highly rich fiber would be ideal to mix with Soups, and other liquids that it wouldn't be an issue downing it.

Edited by govikesgo

why don't you use those fiber one packets you put in Water? they really do dissolve completely and you can't even tell they are there! i'm really picky about tastes and stuff especially when adding something to water or something else. but you really can't tell they are there! the box says three is the amount an adult would need for adequate daily fiber. you can add them to four ounces of water or more. i just pour them in a water bottle or in my tea and wah la! they are awesome!

i'm sorry. i just checked and i had the brand name wrong. the little packets are made by benefiber (not fiber one). they are still awesome though! i got a packet of like 24 (plus 6 extra for free) for $9.99 at target.

I haven't heard of them. Where do you get them? Do you have a link to see what they look like?

I really appreciate it.

i'm sorry. i just checked and i had the brand name wrong. the little packets are made by benefiber (not fiber one). they are still awesome though! i got a packet of like 24 (plus 6 extra for free) for $9.99 at target.

Thanks. How many gr. of fiber in a packet? What flavors do they have and how many calories. Sorry for all the questions.

Benefiber

that's the page of nutrition facts for the stick packs on the benefiber website. they have 15 calories per pack. no sugar. i've been mixing them in my Water mostly and you can't even tell they are there. i've also used them in some of my mushies foods - still can't tell they are there.

they also have them in flavors, too, for adding to Water. kinda like crystal light or something i guess but with all the fiber in it.

i bought mine at target but i know Walmart and walgreens carries them, too. :)

If I'm correctly interpreting your question, you're wondering whether, even blended, the Fiber One would still provide the same benefits. And yes, it will.

I add Fiber One to my Crystal Light or Protein shakes. A tablespoon dissolves in undetectably, and provides 15 g Protein.< /p>

I choose Fiber One (well, actually its generic equivalent) because it's inulin fiber. In addition to providing the fiber benefits, it's a Prebiotic, which means it stimulates the growth of the "good" gut flora. That, and it really dissolves well and does not cause cramping. (I found that BeneFiber did, for me.)

Fiber One is great and can be used for cooking a lot of different recipes (see Hungry Girl's web site and cookbooks for great ones). Another great option if you need fiber is Quaker's High Fiber instant maple and brown sugar oatmeal, although I always feel guilty for eating it because it's not solid Protein, and we are all supposed to be eating solid protein whenever possible!

If I'm correctly interpreting your question, you're wondering whether, even blended, the Fiber One would still provide the same benefits. And yes, it will.

I add Fiber One to my Crystal Light or Protein shakes. A tablespoon dissolves in undetectably, and provides 15 g Protein.< /p>

I choose Fiber One (well, actually its generic equivalent) because it's inulin fiber. In addition to providing the fiber benefits, it's a Prebiotic, which means it stimulates the growth of the "good" gut flora. That, and it really dissolves well and does not cause cramping. (I found that BeneFiber did, for me.)

i haven't experienced any problems with benefiber yet, but i like the sound of the fiber one having that probiotic in it. i used to take Probiotics in a pill form pre band and was wondering how i could do that post since pills are out. fiber one might be the answer. when i run outta benefiber i might just have to try the fiber one next. thanks betsy!

Dontgoggilme, just to be sure: Fiber Sure is prebiotic, not probiotic. It does help with the Prebiotic growth in the gut--but it's not probiotic itself.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't mislead you :)

Longer term, when you're not on liquids anymore, you might like to try a green smoothie for fibre and leafy greens.

I usually start my day with a smoothie - I combine a couple of fruits and a few big handfuls of a leafy green - spinach, silverbeet, lettuce mix etc and blend with some organic fruit juice and a bit of Water. It looks like lawnmower pulp and its actually fine in flavour (tastes like the fruit) bit still tough to get down, but its like a miracle in a glass - as a bandster I could never eat all that fruit and all those greens every day and the fibre in them really keeps me regular.

Since I'm not tight and am maintaining not losing, half an hour or so later, I can quite easily eat a small Breakfast as well. This also makes a good afternoon snack (I often have a second when I get home from work) as its immediately filling due to the fibre, but drains through quickly and doesnt spoil dinner.< /p>

Other than that, I do add benefibre to foods and to coffee just when I remember (maybe once a day) and try to eat a couple of prunes every day.

I've been banded for 4 months now and the fiber issue came to my mind. My friend had stomach issues and told me that she uses Benefiber powder that clearly dissolves into Water. It's not much water either, and so I thought it'd be an easy way to include a daily amount of fiber in addition to regulating my digestive system.

After about 4 straight days of taking the fiber 3 times a day (as directed) I found that my stomach felt like it was full of gas. It wasn't painful or embarrassing in anyway, just annoying. It felt that my stomach was just full of air, but that's a common symptom of fiber supplements. Just wanted to keep you in touch with the effects of it.

Mixing that stuff with your food is alright if you were to ask me, but it's so much easier put in water. Hopefully you'll not have the gas-filled reaction! :)

I have been eating one vitafusion fiber gummie each day and it works like a charm ! (Sold at Target )

Being newly banded since March 12th and maintaining a liquid diet for the next couple weeks my, fiber intake as expected is low. Also being a hobbyist cook I've been coming up with recipes to go with my new lifestyle. I was wondering this. If I were to take 1/2 cup of fiber one which has 14gr. of fiber and only 60 calories and put it in my coffee grinder and turn it to powder and say mix it with a cup of applesauce (100cal) or mix it with my yogurt, would I still get the full 14 gr. of fiber in it's new altered state? I'm assuming so, but wanted to know others' thoughts. I would think this highly rich fiber would be ideal to mix with Soups, and other liquids that it wouldn't be an issue downing it.

fiber my friend is not a good idea what so ever!!it bulks up and makes you feel full and you wont be able to eat what your suppose to:scared2:

BetsyB, in one post you say "Fiber One" in another you say "Fiber Sure". I only find the General Mills Fiber One ... should I be looking for "Fiber Sure" instead?

I need some fiber ... really. lol

Thanks much.