Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Real Food Can I Eat & How Soon???

Hey Folks,

My name is Sal, and I'm from Central Pennsylvania. I was just banded on Monday, March 8th, so I'm 5 days post op. I never got to see my surgeon at discharge, so I'm not sure what fill amount we started with. I've been taking liquids without issue - it hurt to swallow at first (most likely from being intubated), but I'm good now. The majority of my gas pains subsided on Thursday (Day 3) - the same day I stopped the Isopure and moved to full liquids - again, without issue. I did alot of research on the net and came back with a wide array of what can be considered a 'full' liquid. Everything from mashed potatoes to Protein Shakes came up. I've since ingested Protein shakes, soft scrambled eggs, liquified lentil Soup, and today, I broke down and ate the inside of a spiced apple donut (we had a dozen donuts here for company whom have been in and out all week to see me). Understand, I NEVER eat donuts. I am a huge Dunkin' Donut fan, and I always get coffee and a healthy, flatbread eggwhite sandwich for Breakfast. Not to get off on a tangent here - I ate the inside of the donut, with an 8oz glass of milk shortly after it, and other than a little tightness at the stoma, I had no issues. My point is - I have it in my head that I'm not supposed to eat ANY solids yet, but being that I am really craving solids, had I known what to opt for, I would have probably stayed away from the donut. tuna fish, over-cooked Pasta, wonton soup, beef barbecue??? I meet with my Surgeon on the 16th, but I want to take a bit of something solid yesterday :wink2: Any thoughts or support would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Folks,

My name is Sal, and I'm from Central Pennsylvania. I was just banded on Monday, March 8th, so I'm 5 days post op. I never got to see my surgeon at discharge, so I'm not sure what fill amount we started with. I've been taking liquids without issue - it hurt to swallow at first (most likely from being intubated), but I'm good now. The majority of my gas pains subsided on Thursday (Day 3) - the same day I stopped the Isopure and moved to full liquids - again, without issue. I did alot of research on the net and came back with a wide array of what can be considered a 'full' liquid. Everything from mashed potatoes to Protein shakes came up. I've since ingested Protein Shakes, soft scrambled eggs, liquified lentil Soup, and today, I broke down and ate the inside of a spiced apple donut (we had a dozen donuts here for company whom have been in and out all week to see me). Understand, I NEVER eat donuts. I am a huge Dunkin' Donut fan, and I always get coffee and a healthy, flatbread eggwhite sandwich for breakfast. Not to get off on a tangent here - I ate the inside of the donut, with an 8oz glass of milk shortly after it, and other than a little tightness at the stoma, I had no issues. My point is - I have it in my head that I'm not supposed to eat ANY solids yet, but being that I am really craving solids, had I known what to opt for, I would have probably stayed away from the donut. tuna fish, over-cooked Pasta, wonton soup, beef barbecue??? I meet with my Surgeon on the 16th, but I want to take a bit of something solid yesterday :wink2: Any thoughts or support would be greatly appreciated.

I know how you feel, I will be two weeks post op on this coming Tuesday. I went through the I want some solids phase for a few days I was on full liquids for only 4 days. I had cream of Broc. soup. and a lot of other heart healthy fatt free Soups. as I transitioned over to soft solids, I was able to eat blanched, then steamed broccolli till it was almost mush but had a solid texture to it. I was also able to eat some canned tuna, I used chunk ligh in Water solid white might be a little tougher to chew small enough just yet. I did have my first "stuck" episode today but I wasnt stuck for long.

Sal- I STRONGLY recommend that you stick to full liquids for as long as your doctor tells you to.

It's not about what will-or-won't go down... it's about letting your stomach heal. It can't heal if it has to work. It's swollen and needs to rest.

I also couldn't wait to get through with the liquid stage-- a warm scrambled egg never tasted so good. But I still can't have any real solids-- I have to blend everything up to the consistency of apple sauce for the next two weeks. Then real solids.

If you move forward too fast, you may cause a problem.

My doctor's office said that it is only liquid if you can drink it through a straw-- tuna fish, mashed potatoes don't count there. (In my 2nd stage, I still have to blend up my tuna fish.)

I know it sucks-- I did get some chewing gum in my second week. It may cause some gas, but it wasn't a problem for me (I was just a little burpy-- very ladylike! :wink2:

I'm sure you can suck it up for a little while! (not trying to be mean, or anything... just heal well.)

Edited to add: I would call your doctor's office and ask exactly how long they want you to stay on liquids. Maybe they only want 1 week and you could move on to mushies/blended foods. (You can blend any solids-- I had blended turkey meatloaf for dinner.)

Edited by jensmallwood

Hey, Sal. I'm from central PA, too, Harrisburg specifically.

I know you know the answer to your question, but all the foods you mention are mushies, not full liquids. I'm glad you're doing fine after eating the inside of a donut, but it is dangerous to push your luck 5 days post-op. If you really want something else to eat, I call the doctor's office and ask them. Sometimes, they let patients move a little faster on the diet recommendations. One of the first things I ate was a soft boiled egg. It wasn't exactly solid food, but it was delicious after a week of Protein drinks, Jello and broth.

The good news is that this period goes quick. You'll be on to real food in no time!

Cindy

Who did your surgery Cindy? I went with Dr. Prashar at the Weight Loss Clinic in Harrisburg.

Hey, Sal. I'm from central PA, too, Harrisburg specifically.

I know you know the answer to your question, but all the foods you mention are mushies, not full liquids. I'm glad you're doing fine after eating the inside of a donut, but it is dangerous to push your luck 5 days post-op. If you really want something else to eat, I call the doctor's office and ask them. Sometimes, they let patients move a little faster on the diet recommendations. One of the first things I ate was a soft boiled egg. It wasn't exactly solid food, but it was delicious after a week of Protein drinks, Jello and broth.

The good news is that this period goes quick. You'll be on to real food in no time!

Cindy

I also had my surgery on 3/8/10...So I know what you mean...I have been sticking to Protein shakes and will occasionally splurge and eat some Tomato Soup or even some Potato Soup that I have put in a blender...both do an excellent job of filling me up...I'm not even sure how you managed to drink an 8oz glass of milk as a matter of fact...I guess we all react differently to the surgery...i haven't been able to get down more than 2-3 oz of any liquid (even water) until today. Today was the first day I was able to get in about 5-6 oz of soup for dinner...and I'm STUFFED... :wink2:

Just keep pluggin away at it...

I'm at the Weight Loss Clinic, too. Dr. Davidson was my surgeon. They have worked out really well for me. They're close to my house and they always fit me in when I need an appointment. Dr. Weiger is good with fills. I've never had a problem.

Cindy

This sounds exactly like me. I too was banded on the 8th. I get full very quickly but I feel like I am always putting something in my mouth. Soft of course, but I have not had the stuck issue. I am a little nervous because I thought that would be a big deterrent for me not to want certain things. I too have eaten things not "exactly" on the pureed list.

I know that I did not have a fill at all on the 8th so I am hoping the fill will make the world of difference.

Hang in there maybe we can keep up and see if out experiences are similar.

There are lots of different sets of guidance that I've seen post-op, so it seems that each surgeon is different. For me, I was restricted to Clear Liquids only for 7 days post, then full liquids for 3...tomorrow, I start my second of two weeks on purees...on the 22nd, I'll start softs, moving into more solid food...my first adjustment is scheduled for the 31st. I had been told during my preop studies that, for my surgeon, from Clear Liquids to solids takes about 6 weeks total.

That seems like a long time, but I know that the progression is moved slowly so that all of the healing can take place appropriately. For me, having had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time, I'm glad for the extra "rest" in that area.

Keep in mind that, when you start having fills, you will be advised to regress in your food types for a few days after each one...you need to be prepared for that. Advancing your diet too far, too fast at any stage is just setting yourself up for problems.

The advice my nutritionist told me is "Just because you THINK you can eat it, doesn't mean you SHOULD!". I think those are pretty good words to the wise.

Hang in there!

V/R, Christine

Hi. I just banded 3-5-2010. I lasted on the liquid diet for the first 5 days. I pretty much didn't eat anything. Then I started eating regular food, but staying away from meat or bread. I really hard. I figure I won't have real progress until after I get my first fill.