Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my surgery this past Thursday and am feeling pretty good. There is some soreness and of course the gas pains but other than that I feel pretty good. If there were five things you could suggest to bandsters who are just getting started what would they be?

Do you have any "secrets" that you think have helped you get as far as you have?

Please respond with the top five things that helped you with your journey and success. I'm scared of failure.

Can't wait to see what everyone writes back with!

I just had my surgery this past Thursday and am feeling pretty good. There is some soreness and of course the gas pains but other than that I feel pretty good. If there were five things you could suggest to bandsters who are just getting started what would they be?

Do you have any "secrets" that you think have helped you get as far as you have?

Please respond with the top five things that helped you with your journey and success. I'm scared of failure.

Can't wait to see what everyone writes back with!

Secret 1. Stop eating when the food gets cold.

Secret 2. Go to the gym every day.

Secret 3. Do NOT ever drink with a meal.

Secret 4. You should be able to eat any food but bread and rice by the second month, just not very much.

Secret 5. Buy smaller clothes early on sale cause you shrink fast!!!

TJ

Congratulations on your surgery! I had surgery 6/5/09 and have lost 73 pounds since. I don't know if I have any secrets, but here's what's been working for me:

1. Get your Fills- The band doesn't work if you're not restricted. It took me like 8 fills to get restriction, so don't give up. You'll have to go through bandster hell - just accept it and realize that you'll lose when you get restriction.

2. I don't diet. My philosophy with the band is this is something I will live with for the rest of my life. I'm not going to live deprived and grumpy on an eternal diet. I do focus on getting my Protein then vegetables, but if I want a cookie, I eat it and move on. I know some would disagree with this, but it works for me.

3. Get Support!! This is huge. I get support from my family, my Dr.'s office and a great blogging community. I started a blog right before surgery and it's an amazing community. This site is great too.

4. Identify your NSV's (non scale victories). This will really help when the scale's not moving as fast as you'd like. Putting on old jeans in the back of your closet or running a mile can really keep your spirits up.

5. Find some "go to" foods that help with protein intake and the urge to snack on junky things. Mine are greek yogurt, string cheese, Baby Bell light cheese, mini Luna bars and Zone bars.

Good luck! This is a great post - I can't to see what others write.

Good Luck! Its the bestnthing I have EVER done! I agree with EVERYTHING everyone has said. Here are my top:

1. Dont get obsessed with weighing. You will fluctuate EVERY DAY and through out each day. I got to weighing a few times a ay and would get very discouraged. My friend took my scale away! Dont worry about the number on the scale, take your inches and pay attention to how your clothes are fitting you. That i the true test, not the number on the scale.

2. Dont give up foods you love. You have to treat yourself and not grow to hate the band. The band is not a punishment. If you dont eat those things here and there, you will grow a massive craving for them and go crazy!

3. WORK OUT!! Its the hardest thing you will learn to lovee. Always switch it up and trick your body. I suggest a trainer at least for a while to teach you the ropes and give you ideas. This is helped me a lot. Take fun classes at your gym, enjoy working out. Recruit your friends and make goals together. I go to a boot camp 3 days a week and have made wonderful friends who push me.

4. You are soon going to enter Bandsters Hell period. HANG IN THERE. EVERYONE must go through it. You will have NO restriction and can eat a horse and you might not see weight loss. Some see gain. Be patient and know this is normal. It will prob take several fills till you feel a difference. ITS A PROCESS not a fast fix.

5. Always check this website. It got me through everything and answered questions my doctor couldnt. Everyone on here has great advice and insight. You will always find at least one person who has gone through something you have on this journey. They will be of great support and will ease any worries you have. I checked on here for every symptom I had or anything I was worried about and ALWAYS got an answer.

Hang in there. Its a process and a journey that may take some time to pay off. You will have your ups and downs, but it gets easier I promise. Just be patient and know there are 1000s of us going through the same thing who can help!